Conference Realignment

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
So then you agree that we don't have a "championship", we only have a pageant.
That's how it's always been but this is the last year of it. With the 12 team playoff and more importantly automatic bids for conference champs everyone has a settled on the field path to the playoffs.

JTS

Georgia Tech Fan
FSU had a chance to complete an Undefeated Season and claim a portion of the NC if they could somehow beat UGA and their players decided they would rather quit. I thought it was outrageous for FSU to be left out of the CFP initially, but their players quitting made it clear that the committee did the right thing to leave them out. FSU's players did not believe they could beat UGA so they quit.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Ran across a recipe many decades ago in Farmer’s Market Bulletin that called for sour cream and a small can of corn. It was very different from other variations I’ve tried but surprisingly good. Corn bread comes out very moist.

Another variation we occasionally had growing up was to put cracklings in the bread.

So many recipes so little time.
Can of cream corn goes in mine. Same principle. I also like some green chiles or jalapeño. Not going sweet, but I wouldn’t argue with cracklins. In my estimation, it’s nearly impossible to incorporate too much pork fat into any dish :D

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That's how it's always been but this is the last year of it. With the 12 team playoff and more importantly automatic bids for conference champs everyone has a settled on the field path to the playoffs.
I have felt that way, but with the PAC12 falling, I am less certain. There is a path to get in automatically. However, if 9/12 of the field is made up of SEC and Big10 teams, then it will be very very likely that an SEC or Big10 team will win the playoffs. That will feed the perception that the SEC and Big10 are the only ones deserving of even being in the playoffs and will keep the ratio at 9/12. The next argument will be that the conference champions shouldn't get the automatic buys, it should be based on Bill Hancock's feelings. Then there will be an argument that since the Big10 and SEC win 8 out or 12 playoffs that there shouldn't be automatic qualifiers. Then the ratio will get to 10 or 11 out of 12. On top of that the one or two non-Big10 or SEC teams that get in will never get the buy week, based on Bill Hancock's feelings.

The BCS was proposed as a way to solve the controversy about the MNC. It never really worked. The CFP was proposed as a way to solve the controversy about the MNC. It has turned into a political tool instead of a "championship" tool. I fear that the expanded CFP will suffer the same fate. There will be a lot of pressure to get rid of the most deserving teams and only use teams with the most hype.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Not even remotely accurate
But unfortunately can neither be proven nor disproven.
The whole situation is sickening…. Maybe the worst part was Kirby crawling out of the gutter and up to his high horse to lament all that is wrong with the system in the wake of it.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Can of cream corn goes in mine. Same principle. I also like some green chiles or jalapeño. Not going sweet, but I wouldn’t argue with cracklins. In my estimation, it’s nearly impossible to incorporate too much pork fat into any dish :D
Guys, as long as it isn't too dry, it's hard to screw it up. Add anythng.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
My cornbread recipe (I'm the bread chef in our household) has 3/1 yellow corn meal and no sugar. Sugar is for the Yankees. I alternate between butter and bacon grease. But, I have an 8" iron skillet that has never held anything but cornbread in its almost 100 years of use. Thanks Mom. I have kept it pure in your and your mom's memory.
Exactly !

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I have felt that way, but with the PAC12 falling, I am less certain. There is a path to get in automatically. However, if 9/12 of the field is made up of SEC and Big10 teams, then it will be very very likely that an SEC or Big10 team will win the playoffs. That will feed the perception that the SEC and Big10 are the only ones deserving of even being in the playoffs and will keep the ratio at 9/12. The next argument will be that the conference champions shouldn't get the automatic buys, it should be based on Bill Hancock's feelings. Then there will be an argument that since the Big10 and SEC win 8 out or 12 playoffs that there shouldn't be automatic qualifiers. Then the ratio will get to 10 or 11 out of 12. On top of that the one or two non-Big10 or SEC teams that get in will never get the buy week, based on Bill Hancock's feelings.

The BCS was proposed as a way to solve the controversy about the MNC. It never really worked. The CFP was proposed as a way to solve the controversy about the MNC. It has turned into a political tool instead of a "championship" tool. I fear that the expanded CFP will suffer the same fate. There will be a lot of pressure to get rid of the most deserving teams and only use teams with the most hype.
The 4 teams this year were from the SEC, Pac12, Big12 and Big10. Just because all of those teams will be in the SEC and Big10 next year doesn't mean they will be less good. They certainly can't all be conference champions, but all of them can still be really, really good. Better than a 13-0 Liberty.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The 4 teams this year were from the SEC, Pac12, Big12 and Big10. Just because all of those teams will be in the SEC and Big10 next year doesn't mean they will be less good. They certainly can't all be conference champions, but all of them can still be really, really good. Better than a 13-0 Liberty.
Just about nobody thinks Liberty should have been in the 4-team playoff.

But now that you mention them, I thought Liberty and FSU's demoralized B-Team would have made a good bowl game, as would have Oregon vs. Ugag. They should have switched places.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
With the growing size of the Big 10 and the SEC and the perception that they are the only conferences that matter, they are going to get all of the at large spots and we are going to see a bunch of rematches. This year UGA would have played Ole Miss again. How exciting, a rematch of a 35 point blowout in a so called playoff game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If it's 1 ACC, 1 B12, and 10 SEC/B1G, then it's not settled on the field in my opinion. (with potentially rare exceptions)
Simple some additional ACC and Big 12 teams need to have very good seasons and they will get invited. If they have 3 losses they have no grounds for bitching.

With no Divisions in any of the P4 Conferences the Championship Game will have the 2 teams with the best Conference records. If both teams win important OOC games they are both likely in. If the ACC has an 10-2 team that is not in the ACC Championship Game, that team has a decent shot at getting in. Ole Miss this year is a good example. They were 10-2 with losses at UGA and Alabama, It would be hard to argue they should not be in a 12 team playoff. ACC top teams can't lose games to SEC middle tier teams as Louisville did to Kentucky this year and expect any benefit of the doubt.