Conference Realignment

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As much as I hate to say it, we need for VT, U, us, and Clemson to all have 10 win seasons. That will change the perception. I pull for us to win and them to lose, but we need 5 dominant teams and five door mats.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't watch the Rose Bowl. I didn't watch it because I felt Alabama didn't deserve to be there, regardless of whether they won or lost. I enjoy watching Alabama play. I watched the Alabama/Auburn game and the SEC Championship games because I wanted to watch a Saban-coached team play. My not watching the Rose Bowl made had no effect on anything; I know that. But, it was my personal protest against what I think is bad-faith behavior. I spent the time working with my 15-year-old doing hitting and catching drills. He wants to be the next Kevin Parada. He's going to be more like Veritek than Parada.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Simple some additional ACC and Big 12 teams need to have very good seasons and they will get invited. If they have 3 losses they have no grounds for bitching.

With no Divisions in any of the P4 Conferences the Championship Game will have the 2 teams with the best Conference records. If both teams win important OOC games they are both likely in. If the ACC has an 10-2 team that is not in the ACC Championship Game, that team has a decent shot at getting in. Ole Miss this year is a good example. They were 10-2 with losses at UGA and Alabama, It would be hard to argue they should not be in a 12 team playoff. ACC top teams can't lose games to SEC middle tier teams as Louisville did to Kentucky this year and expect any benefit of the doubt.
Louisville, at 10-2, and ACCCG loser would not have been part of the 12 this year. Not sure I agree with you. Kentucky was a rivalry game. Means more. Look at Tech/uga.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Simple some additional ACC and Big 12 teams need to have very good seasons and they will get invited. If they have 3 losses they have no grounds for bitching.

With no Divisions in any of the P4 Conferences the Championship Game will have the 2 teams with the best Conference records. If both teams win important OOC games they are both likely in. If the ACC has an 10-2 team that is not in the ACC Championship Game, that team has a decent shot at getting in. Ole Miss this year is a good example. They were 10-2 with losses at UGA and Alabama, It would be hard to argue they should not be in a 12 team playoff. ACC top teams can't lose games to SEC middle tier teams as Louisville did to Kentucky this year and expect any benefit of the doubt.
Would a two loss ACC non champion get in over a two loss Ole Miss team that lost to Bama and UGA?

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
With the growing size of the Big 10 and the SEC and the perception that they are the only conferences that matter, they are going to get all of the at large spots and we are going to see a bunch of rematches. This year UGA would have played Ole Miss again. How exciting, a rematch of a 35 point blowout in a so called playoff game.
For the most part, they will be the only two conferences that matter. The ACC and Big12 will get their conference champ in, and in unusual years might get a second team in, but by and large all of the big football powers will be in the SEC and Big10. Just because Texas and Oklahoma or going to the SEC, won’t make them any less good. Their record will be worse for sure, but they are still going to be really good.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just about nobody thinks Liberty should have been in the 4-team playoff.

But now that you mention them, I thought Liberty and FSU's demoralized B-Team would have made a good bowl game, as would have Oregon vs. Ugag. They should have switched places.

I thought the Liberty players were there for the religion so why did they have the B team? Or is it like uGag players being there for the education?

On more important matters, had collards with black eyed peas last two days. No meat but plenty of garlic. Should finish up tonight. And corn bread shouldn't be sweet or it's corn cake.

I watched the end of the Alabama game since it was close and was pulling for the SEC to lose. Didn't stay up for the second game at all; could care less it was close as I don't care about the teams. If I want to watch better mercenary football, I'll watch the NFL.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I thought the Liberty players were there for the religion so why did they have the B team? Or is it like uGag players being there for the education?

On more important matters, had collards with black eyed peas last two days. No meat but plenty of garlic. Should finish up tonight. And corn bread shouldn't be sweet or it's corn cake.

I watched the end of the Alabama game since it was close and was pulling for the SEC to lose. Didn't stay up for the second game at all; could care less it was close as I don't care about the teams. If I want to watch better mercenary football, I'll watch the NFL.
I meant Liberty vs. FSU's B-Team would have made a good bowl game.

I never ate New Year's Day specific foods for the holiday, but all this talk about country vittles is making my mouth water like Pavlov's dog.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
No conference will pierce the veil of supremacy as long as sEcSPN continues to enrich the SECheat and F1X does so for the B1G. The rest of us are simply doomed to pauper status. It will take legal action or mass exodus for anything to change.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Louisville, at 10-2, and ACCCG loser would not have been part of the 12 this year. Not sure I agree with you. Kentucky was a rivalry game. Means more. Look at Tech/uga.
Had they beaten a mid tier UK SEC team they would have been ranked in the top 10 and highly likely been in a 12 team playoff.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Had they beaten a mid tier UK SEC team they would have been ranked in the top 10 and highly likely been in a 12 team playoff.
The comment was a 10-2 team not playing in the ACCCG would probably make it in.

I'm not saying UL was great, but Kentucky was a rivalry game where weird things happen. Look at Alabama needing an absolute miracle to beat a "mid tier Auburn SEC team."

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The comment was a 10-2 team not playing in the ACCCG would probably make it in.

I'm not saying UL was great, but Kentucky was a rivalry game where weird things happen. Look at Alabama needing an absolute miracle to beat a "mid tier Auburn SEC team."
You have forgotten that a mid-tier SEC team would go 16-0 in an 8 game ACC schedule, and that the lowest margin of victory would be by 222 points. So no matter what happens to Alabama during the SEC schedule, it can't be questioned. (Also you just have to simply ignore what happened against USF because it doesn't fit the narrative.)

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
All I know is I didn’t bother to watch the night game because the CFP has become loathsome to me. I watched rooting hard for Alabama to get beaten. I will not bother to watch the championship as I really don’t care.
They may have gotten two exciting games, but they also lost at least some viewers (well, one anyway) with their selection antics.
That said, screw FSU.

As one who is cynical of CFB perhaps as much as any of us (and didn’t watch yesterday’s games, either, but followed progress), I wonder though if through all the controversy that the two best teams (and not SEC) are actually playing in the final (aside the fact that one of them is demonstrably unsportsmanlike in actions)?

So the Finals may be worth watching. Though I don’t feel like paying for cable or streaming options this month so I’ll follow on radio or online updates. A meaningless protest gesture, but screw you ESPN/Disney/AllY’all nonetheless lol.😂

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
As one who is cynical of CFB perhaps as much as any of us (and didn’t watch yesterday’s games, either, but followed progress), I wonder though if through all the controversy that the two best teams (and not SEC) are actually playing in the final (aside the fact that one of them is demonstrably unsportsmanlike in actions)?

So the Finals may be worth watching. Though I don’t feel like paying for cable or streaming options this month so I’ll follow on radio or online updates. A meaningless protest gesture, but screw you ESPN/Disney/AllY’all nonetheless lol.😂
You missed two of this year’s better college football games. Both decided on the last play of the game. That does not happen very often.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
You missed two of this year’s better college football games. Both decided on the last play of the game. That does not happen very often.
Oh, agreed! But also fun to follow without glued to the TV. I just wasn’t that invested in the games, which is relative to the comment above was replying to. And the games could just as easily been a waste of time to watch. But ESPN is grateful for its devotees! 🤗

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like the last couple pages of comments is leaning towards the “FSU should have played yesterday” sentiment. Why? Because of its record?

But much as baseball doesn’t award Cy Young to pitcher with most wins, or NBA the person with most points, there are other factors involved if choosing only four teams. And FSU without its star and offensive catalyst simply wasn’t in that group. The system is what it is and record alone doesn’t get you in, such as it would in the NFL.

slugboy

Staff member
It seems like the last couple pages of comments is leaning towards the “FSU should have played yesterday” sentiment. Why? Because of its record?

But much as baseball doesn’t award Cy Young to pitcher with most wins, or NBA the person with most points, there are other factors involved if choosing only four teams. And FSU without its star and offensive catalyst simply wasn’t in that group. The system is what it is and record alone doesn’t get you in, such as it would in the NFL.
It wasn’t the Cy Young trade or NBA MVP. It wasn’t that the system was supposed to put the best four teams in—because they didn’t pick the best four teams. It wasn’t picking the four most accomplished teams (that would have put FSU in). It wasn’t putting in the four teams that would create the best matchups—that probably would have been the four best.

The committee has, in the past, put in Bama over Auburn, when Auburn won head to head and Alabama didn’t even make the SEC championship game. They put in Cincinnati from the G5, when two SEC teams were in. They will make “fair” comparisons except in one situation.

The one time the system broke is when the CFP was faced with putting zero SEC teams in.

The system is biased to put in SEC teams, and Bama in particular. They have a list of criteria, but there is no precedence set. In some comparisons, it’s head to head. In other comparisons, it’s total body of work. Depending on which teams they compare, they choose a different measuring stick. The committee has applied the same criteria differently and seemingly inconsistently in different years, with results that consistently favor one conference and one team in particular.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It wasn’t the Cy Young trade or NBA MVP. It wasn’t that the system was supposed to put the best four teams in—because they didn’t pick the best four teams. It wasn’t picking the four most accomplished teams (that would have put FSU in). It wasn’t putting in the four teams that would create the best matchups—that probably would have been the four best.

The committee has, in the past, put in Bama over Auburn, when Auburn won head to head and Alabama didn’t even make the SEC championship game. They put in Cincinnati from the G5, when two SEC teams were in. They will make “fair” comparisons except in one situation.

The one time the system broke is when the CFP was faced with putting zero SEC teams in.

The system is biased to put in SEC teams, and Bama in particular. They have a list of criteria, but there is no precedence set. In some comparisons, it’s head to head. In other comparisons, it’s total body of work. Depending on which teams they compare, they choose a different measuring stick. The committee has applied the same criteria differently and seemingly inconsistently in different years, with results that consistently favor one conference and one team in particular.

But this is just arguing a point that’s conjecture, eg system is biased towards SEC, or not substantiated, eg FSU is one of the four best .. because, why, record?

And don’t get me wrong .. I think selection by Committee is a ridiculous concept and made my case (with others) that the BCS system with a composite of several polls and computer rankings had a balancing effect. Instead there is a closed-door collaborative of a relatively few persons. Which I know is what you’re alluding to re the measuring stick.

I also acknowledge that given a NFL-style model that FSU would have been guaranteed an entry.

But until it’s demonstrated that FSU was really one of the four best teams — without simply pointing to its record and with accounting for the makeup of the team sans its most impactful player — I don’t get the continued beat that they were robbed. They were not — they simply did not measure up in a unique season that included other very qualified teams. I actually believe that uGA was more robbed than FSU 🤷‍♂️

slugboy

Staff member
But this is just arguing a point that’s conjecture, eg system is biased towards SEC, or not substantiated, eg FSU is one of the four best .. because, why, record?

And don’t get me wrong .. I think selection by Committee is a ridiculous concept and made my case (with others) that the BCS system with a composite of several polls and computer rankings had a balancing effect. Instead there is a closed-door collaborative of a relatively few persons. Which I know is what you’re alluding to re the measuring stick.

I also acknowledge that given a NFL-style model that FSU would have been guaranteed an entry.

But until it’s demonstrated that FSU was really one of the four best teams — without simply pointing to its record and with accounting for the makeup of the team sans its most impactful player — I don’t get the continued beat that they were robbed. They were not — they simply did not measure up in a unique season that included other very qualified teams. I actually believe that uGA was more robbed than FSU 🤷‍♂️
FSU had more accomplishments during the season than almost every team. ESPN even had their own measure called “strength of record”, which they hid when FSU won the ACC championship.
It’s back after the beat down by UGA, and FSU plummeted.
I didn’t put FSU in the four best, but Bama doesn’t make that either. UGA does. Or maybe you get two B1G and two P12 teams. Most consistent systems would leave Bama out this year. Only a tortured and inconsistent committee vote would work.
They can win one off comparisons based on certain criteria, but most any recognizable process wouldn’t put them in the top 4

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Number 1 criteria for who gets in should be performance on the field. That is measured first by W/L. Period. cfp committee decided winning wasn’t the most important thing. That’s not something I’m interested in.