Conference Realignment

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am going to take the contrary view. After last night's riveting finish, and an OT game earlier, how could anyone say the CFP got it wrong? Those were two of the best games I saw all season. We end up with the #1 and #2 seeds playing for the championship after well-earned, nail-biting, victories. I say we should put aside our anti-SEC emotions for a moment and just enjoy what we saw yesterday.

No Way Reaction GIF by Kathryn Dean

It was for me. I just checked the scores to make sure the SEC didn’t win. All’s right in the world.

Lol. Same.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am going to take the contrary view. After last night's riveting finish, and an OT game earlier, how could anyone say the CFP got it wrong? Those were two of the best games I saw all season. We end up with the #1 and #2 seeds playing for the championship after well-earned, nail-biting, victories. I say we should put aside our anti-SEC emotions for a moment and just enjoy what we saw yesterday.
Except you now have two 2-loss
teams who were given the shot at the playoff. Meanwhile, an undefeated team was turned away. I am perfectly able to say that there were 7 teams that could have competed well in this playoff. An undefeated champ was excluded in favor of not one but two 1-loss champs, with both 1-loss champs losing again. The undefeated champ never got the chance to compete.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No Way Reaction GIF by Kathryn Dean

Lol. Same.
I think it is OK to say the CFP committee was wrong by leaving FSU out of the playoffs and also say these were the four best teams. I like saying that because it's consistent with saying uga didn't deserve one of the four slots.

I was up so late watching TV that I allowed myself another plate of Hoppin' John and collards at 11:30. Surprising how well it goes with Woodfords Reserve.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think it is OK to say the CFP committee was wrong by leaving FSU out of the playoffs and also say these were the four best teams. I like saying that because it's consistent with saying uga didn't deserve one of the four slots.

I was up so late watching TV that I allowed myself another plate of Hoppin' John and collards at 11:30. Surprising how well it goes with Woodfords Reserve.

Oh we agree. My only pushback is setting aside my SEC anti-bias. I'll never do it, o.

And I had a plate of hoppin johns myself around the same time. Great stomachs think alike?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Oh we agree. My only pushback is setting aside my SEC anti-bias. I'll never do it, o.

And I had a plate of hoppin johns myself around the same time. Great stomachs think alike?
I grew up in the South and eating collards and peas is not just a New Year's day thing for me. I failed to mention the wedge of cornbread on that plate last night.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They were good games and I enjoyed them, but that doesn't change the fact that a team that deserved to be there was left out.
The thought that occurred to me was that the FSU backup QB would probably have performed at least as well as the Michigan QB, who kept throwing the ball behind and over the head of his receivers.
At least we don't have to see a final between Texas and Alabama, so we can find out how many times Texas has to beat Alabama before the Longhorns knock them out of the playoffs.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, that's okay. I don't have any problem with the idea that FSU wasn't one of the four best teams. Maybe they were, and maybe they weren't. But the playoffs shouldn't be about who's perceived as "best" before the games are even played. They should be about who deserves to be there based on the season they had, full stop.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, that's okay. I don't have any problem with the idea that FSU wasn't one of the four best teams. Maybe they were, and maybe they weren't. But the playoffs shouldn't be about who's perceived as "best" before the games are even played. They should be about who deserves to be there based on the season they had, full stop.
I get what you are saying but, otoh, what FSU did (or did not do depending on your perspective) in their bowl game does severely diminish (imo) their credibility and any sympathy I had for them at one point. Ball State and UT Martin were more competitive against Uga than the Seminoles. I get that they had players sit out but your second and third teamers should be better than Ball State and UT Martin if you are a serious contender for the NC.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I grew up in the South and eating collards and peas is not just a New Year's day thing for me. I failed to mention the wedge of cornbread on that plate last night.

Also had some cornbread. Mine was a square tho. :p

I'm also a suthin' kid. I find it amazing how people talk about soul food. For me, it's just food. It's what we ate.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying but, otoh, what FSU did (or did not do depending on your perspective) in their bowl game does severely diminish (imo) their credibility and any sympathy I had for them at one point. Ball State and UT Martin were more competitive against Uga than the Seminoles. I get that they had players sit out but your second and third teamers should be better than Ball State and UT Martin if you are a serious contender for the NC.
I guess, but that was after the fact. They wouldn't have had all the defections had they not been left out of the playoff. I don't like them, either, not one bit, but that doesn't negate the fact that they deserved to be in the playoff. Since we're parsing out these games, I doubt Ugag had their foot on the gas against UT Martin like they had against the FSU B-team.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Also had some cornbread. Mine was a square tho. :p

I'm also a suthin' kid. I find it amazing how people talk about soul food. For me, it's just food. It's what we ate.
The mods may evict us "sons of the South" from this thread, but soul food was always just food to me as well. My dad had a garden that filled our back yard and we had okra and collards and tomatoes straight into the house. I learned about Edna Lewis as a young adult and how those food traditions you & I grew up with came from the slave households who had no money but knew how to make good food with whatever they could grow and kill. I treasure that part of my family history, even if the lack of money kept me out of GT.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The mods may evict us "sons of the South" from this thread, but soul food was always just food to me as well. My dad had a garden that filled our back yard and we had okra and collards and tomatoes straight into the house. I learned about Edna Lewis as a young adult and how those food traditions you & I grew up with came from the slave households who had no money but knew how to make good food with whatever they could grow and kill. I treasure that part of my family history, even if the lack of money kept me out of GT.
Soul food and country food are the same thing. My mom grew up in Appalachia. One of her favorites passed down to me was cornbread in buttermilk, which to this day I regard as a delicacy.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Watched both games. Some observations:

Didn’t think I’d be able to stay up for the second, but both games were competitive and went down to the last play.​
Enough has already been said about the FSU snub, but I think the committee got the top two teams right.​
Glad the SEC and future SEC lost.​
Penix could start for several NFL teams next week and be an upgrade. Can’t believe he is considered behind Drake Maye.​