Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't personally blame the FSU players at all. They were just flatly told that the games they played this year didn't matter. Its hard to convince them that this last one does. In reality it doesn't. The ones that have future plans that don't involve staying at FSU have no reason to play in this debacle. Rodemaker in general is watching FSU put the full court press on Cam Ward and DJU right now. He pretty much has to leave if he wants to play next year. Half of his team has already announced they aren't playing in the game. What exactly is he playing for?
Exactly this. Plain as day.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That family feeling just doesn’t seem to be there. It looks mercenary over at FSU. :wideyed:

He could at go into the portal and use the Orange Bowl as a showcase. Instead, he’s headed straight for the exit. Other players too

Also blame it on the Networks and CFB decision makers. ZERO reason why the season, with all the bowls and playoff games couldn't be wrapped up before Christmas so most of the players who want to play a last game with their team, and also move on for a better opportunity can't do it. Instead, Networks and CFB decision makers want to string out the post season so they can maximize $$$ opportunities.

The school has to do what's best for the program, but SAs now have the opportunity to do what's best for them as well.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't personally blame the FSU players at all. They were just flatly told that the games they played this year didn't matter. Its hard to convince them that this last one does. In reality it doesn't.
At what point is it okay to mail it in when you know you aren't going to be in the playoffs. Most of the teams could just sit things out after mid September under this line of thinking. Our team could have folded the tents after the BG debacle but didn't. As a result it was one of the most memorable seasons of the last two decades. Glad they didn't take their ball and go home when things didn't go their way.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Opting out of bowl games is relatively new and feels like it's becoming the new normal for players on teams not in the playoffs - not just for those entering the draft but also those entering the transfer portal. I understand the motivation, but I don't have to like it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Somewhat shocking that they didn’t come together as an us-against-the-world thing and come back hard next year too.

The difference from the Bowden era is stark: “let’s do what will give us the best chance to win titles” has turned into let’s try to get the biggest paycheck possible and fold at the first sign of adversity.
Tells you a lot about the program.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Also blame it on the Networks and CFB decision makers. ZERO reason why the season, with all the bowls and playoff games couldn't be wrapped up before Christmas so most of the players who want to play a last game with their team, and also move on for a better opportunity can't do it. Instead, Networks and CFB decision makers want to string out the post season so they can maximize $$$ opportunities.

The school has to do what's best for the program, but SAs now have the opportunity to do what's best for them as well.

Now if there ever was a portaller who could enhance his prospects by playing in the bowl game and thus showcasing his talents, Rodemaker is exhibit A.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
At what point is it okay to mail it in when you know you aren't going to be in the playoffs. Most of the teams could just sit things out after mid September under this line of thinking. Our team could have folded the tents after the BG debacle but didn't. As a result it was one of the most memorable seasons of the last two decades. Glad they didn't take their ball and go home when things didn't go their way.
I think the bowl games are pretty irrelevant now. They will be entirely irrelevant as the playoffs get larger and larger. Seventeen bowl games are owned by ESPN and are already basically nothing but TV content. If a player decides to sit out of regular season games, that is a problem. (Which has happened at GT) Many bowl games are simply TV content owned and operated not for the benefit of the players or travelling fans, but just to get content for TV. I don't think the players are ruining the bowl game gravitas. I think the bowl games were made trash by the college football business machine. The players are simply adjusting to the reality instead of living in the past.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We haven't seen much evidence of players wanting to do this. Drake Maye, DJU, Caleb Williams all were fine finishing their season and then bailing on the bowl game immediately afterwards. Players just seem to not place as much importance on bowl games as they do the regular season, and im not sure you can blame them much. For transfers, its even worse. There is a limited amount of time to enter the portal and find a new home for the Spring. The portal window being in the middle of bowl season complicates things.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Now if there ever was a portaller who could enhance his prospects by playing in the bowl game and thus showcasing his talents, Rodemaker is exhibit A.
Showcasing your talents without your two best receivers, your best receiving TE, one of your starting OL, your best RB and most of the good players on your defense is certainly a risky play. Then, if you actually want to play in the Spring for someone else, you only have a few days to make that happen during a holiday weekend. Tate should have been in the portal already. Maybe he was holding out hope that FSU was going to whiff on Ward and DJU and now knows that they landed one of them.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Some of y'all are surprising me.

I, for one, will not allow sports politics to influence my absolute disdain for the mutts. If FSU is going to leave, fine - don't let the door hit you on the way out. But there is no scenario where I won't wish a winless season for those idiots out east. I hope the noles beat the brakes off the dwags, and I always will, regardless of opponent.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Some of y'all are surprising me.

I, for one, will not allow sports politics to influence my absolute disdain for the mutts. If FSU is going to leave, fine - don't let the door hit you on the way out. But there is no scenario where I won't wish a winless season for those idiots out east. I hope the noles beat the brakes off the dwags, and I always will, regardless of opponent.
Amen Sir.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bowl games are meaningless exhibitions where the schools are paid off so a TV network can sell ads for 4 hours. No player should play in them and at least the high end players have figured out that they can’t be bought with a nice bag of swag. And yes, I was at our bowl game and enjoyed it, but that doesn’t change the fact they shouldn’t even exist at this point. Heck, I’d love for college football to have a 30 game schedule because I enjoy watching my team play, but that doesn’t mean they should.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He and his family had to judge which edge of the double-edged blade they would walk on.

On one side is, as you indicated, the POTENTIAL to upgrade his prospects. Though there are some factors to consider not the least of which is UGA has a pretty good defense and FSU looked pretty bad on offense in their last two games, one of which was with him as the QB. And with as many players opting out for FSU he could just as easily have looked terrible. Also consider that if he waited until Jan 2 to file the paperwork he would go into the portal officially the next day (or at best late on Jan 2). Many schools have move-in day on Jan 3 and I know GT starts on Jan 8 so the time he would have to visit with and speak with other teams would be pretty limited. Doable for sure. But more difficult and that’s assuming he balled out against UGA.

On the other side is that he can go in now and begin talking with teams and coaches immediately and work for the next week or so on getting the best opportunity for himself with only what he did against UF as evidence of his abilities.

So it’s not a simple decision. Both sides have their positives and negatives. I’m not sure it’s so cut and dried that the best option would have been to play and hope to improve his stock.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Let FSU Burn to the ground. I hope we make them pay 300 million and let them go. I don't buy this argument that 6 acc schools will leave. I just don't see the money in the current media rights market.

Either FSU will go to the B1G and play 3rd fiddle behind OSU and Mich, and maybe even Penn State, or they will go to the SEC and become a glorified Tennessee type of program.

Congrats on your 1 good year ever 15 years. Bobby Bowden knew what he was doing.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bowl games are meaningless exhibitions where the schools are paid off so a TV network can sell ads for 4 hours. No player should play in them and at least the high end players have figured out that they can’t be bought with a nice bag of swag. And yes, I was at our bowl game and enjoyed it, but that doesn’t change the fact they shouldn’t even exist at this point. Heck, I’d love for college football to have a 30 game schedule because I enjoy watching my team play, but that doesn’t mean they should.
This is more spot on than people want to admit. There’s no benefit for a top end player to play an extra game for our amusement. Mid tier guys should use it as a showcase for the pros. Trying to draw a conclusion that team A is better than team B is silly if it’s not in route to a title.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This is more spot on than people want to admit. There’s no benefit for a top end player to play an extra game for our amusement. Mid tier guys should use it as a showcase for the pros. Trying to draw a conclusion that team A is better than team B is silly if it’s not in route to a title.
But Rodemaker is not a top-end player, this would have been a good opportunity for him to show what he can do (and I really wanted him in there to help beat uga)

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Let FSU Burn to the ground. I hope we make them pay 300 million and let them go. I don't buy this argument that 6 acc schools will leave. I just don't see the money in the current media rights market.

Either FSU will go to the B1G and play 3rd fiddle behind OSU and Mich, and maybe even Penn State, or they will go to the SEC and become a glorified Tennessee type of program.

Congrats on your 1 good year ever 15 years. Bobby Bowden knew what he was doing.
Well actually $500M