Conference Realignment

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
But Rodemaker is not a top-end player, this would have been a good opportunity for him to show what he can do (and I really wanted him in there to help beat uga)
Going against one of the top defenses in the country (who their coach has amped up and gotten them pissed) isn’t how you showcase things

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is more spot on than people want to admit. There’s no benefit for a top end player to play an extra game for our amusement. Mid tier guys should use it as a showcase for the pros. Trying to draw a conclusion that team A is better than team B is silly if it’s not in route to a title.
I am so nostalgic for the way bowls used to be but on the whole they are meaningless now. Tech’s bowl meant something to the players because the team still had goals to achieve and the team understood they were building for next year. But they will be the exception this year. Most teams have met their goals this year or the goals are beyond achieving at this point.

I wonder how long the TV networks will be able to keep us the charade that these games prove something? As players opt out of bowls, or players phone in their effort during the game, more and more fans will quit believing the hype that these games are measuring the strength of a program or the strength of a conference. When this reaches critical mass the TV networks will have some decisions to make. Maybe bowl games will become like spring games and they will be sold as parties with lots of swag, live bands, guest celebrities and autograph sessions.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am so nostalgic for the way bowls used to be but on the whole they are meaningless now. Tech’s bowl meant something to the players because the team still had goals to achieve and the team understood they were building for next year. But they will be the exception this year. Most teams have met their goals this year or the goals are beyond achieving at this point.

I wonder how long the TV networks will be able to keep us the charade that these games prove something? As players opt out of bowls, or players phone in their effort during the game, more and more fans will quit believing the hype that these games are measuring the strength of a program or the strength of a conference. When this reaches critical mass the TV networks will have some decisions to make. Maybe bowl games will become like spring games and they will be sold as parties with lots of swag, live bands, guest celebrities and autograph sessions.
I do agree ours meant something for both sides this year. But that’s rare nowadays. If they did a 24-team playoff and then zero other bowls? Then every game meant something because it’d be for a natty.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Going against one of the top defenses in the country (who their coach has amped up and gotten them pissed) isn’t how you showcase things
Speaking strictly for myself, I would take notice of and give credit to his gumption for doing so.
He's the kind of player I'd want on my football team, not some sniveling coward who ducks a tough opponent.

Audentes Fortuna luvat.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Reference the FSU case against the ACC, I have attached the 38-page filing. Maybe some of our GT lawyers can take a look and give an opinion as to likely success by FSU.

Much of the case seems to be about mismanagement by the ACC and Commissioner Swofford. One point that was of interest to me was that the suit claims that the 9-year extension of Tier 1 rights from 2027 to 2036 was not voted on and approved by the Directors (Presidents of the ACC). If that can be proven in court, FSU might be able to leave the conference in 2027. Just a non-lawyer's opinion.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Reference the FSU case against the ACC, I have attached the 38-page filing. Maybe some of our GT lawyers can take a look and give an opinion as to likely success by FSU.

Much of the case seems to be about mismanagement by the ACC and Commissioner Swofford. One point that was of interest to me was that the suit claims that the 9-year extension of Tier 1 rights from 2027 to 2036 was not voted on and approved by the Directors (Presidents of the ACC). If that can be proven in court, FSU might be able to leave the conference in 2027. Just a non-lawyer's opinion.

I apologize for the above. I could not properly attach the filing. Could only attach the first page. The filing can be found online in the Tallahassee Democrat.

I will see if I can still attach some way.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
But Rodemaker is not a top-end player, this would have been a good opportunity for him to show what he can do (and I really wanted him in there to help beat uga)
So the game is on January 1. How many schools do you think will wait until then to determine which transfer QB they want? Consider that move in day at GT, for example, is Jan 3 with the first day of school being Jan 8. Yes you can transfer in all the way up to the last day or drop/add week but again, how many options will be gone for him by Jan 1?

Also what from his prior play indicates to you that he will look awesome against UGA and increase his value? Especially given that FSU is depleted due to people opting out and transferring out?

I’m not saying he’s making the right or the wrong decision. I just think either one is a reasonable choice.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

While the ‘27 expiration is certainly an interesting wrinkle in all of this, and although it has never been publicly stated before this week (that I recall), I’m not sure how it would rise to the level of any wrongdoing by the ACC. If the deal was ‘27 with a 9 year option, it would make complete sense that the conference would need the commitment of schools through the option term… otherwise, what’s the point of having the option?

The other interesting part about an option is that an option typically has a “bump” associated. If ESPN exercised the option, it would likely be for more favorable terms for the ACC. That said, with the seeming trend in TV revenue, it looks increasingly likely that ESPN would not elect to exercise the option.

In the event ESPN does NOT exercise, it gets interesting. There has been a lot of talk about the GOR being tied to the ESPN deal (not sure what it true), so it would seem that the ACC could not enforce it to seek another media partner thru ‘36. If so, ESPN’s decision could relieve EVERYONE from GOR at the expiration of the initial ‘27 ESPN deal.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I apologize for the above. I could not properly attach the filing. Could only attach the first page. The filing can be found online in the Tallahassee Democrat.

I will see if I can still attach some way.
See attachment showing the Filing by FSU. Has some interesting info about the escalatory amount of 4.5% per year and the issue of whether or not the Presidents approved the extension of the Tier One rights until 2036. As I said, I am not a lawyer, so I might be misunderstanding some of this!

Attachments

• final-complaint-12212023 FSU.pdf
    963 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
So the game is on January 1. How many schools do you think will wait until then to determine which transfer QB they want? Consider that move in day at GT, for example, is Jan 3 with the first day of school being Jan 8. Yes you can transfer in all the way up to the last day or drop/add week but again, how many options will be gone for him by Jan 1?

Also what from his prior play indicates to you that he will look awesome against UGA and increase his value? Especially given that FSU is depleted due to people opting out and transferring out?

I’m not saying he’s making the right or the wrong decision. I just think either one is a reasonable choice.
The real reason may be his concussion, and that he’s not fully healed. I’ve seen people with lingering effects more than a year later.

It’s not just Rodemaker. It seems like there are a lot of players either sitting out or transferring out.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I think either would be a "reasonable" choice as well. No one has said it wouldn't be "reasonable" to skip the game. And if time were of such an essence, why did he wait until yesterday to enter the portal, a mere 5 days before the bowl game? He doesn't have to look "awesome" against Ugag, he just has to make a decent showing against top competition to increase his value. Yes, either is a "reasonable" choice, but he'd be a gamer to play, and a wimp to duck the game, just like his teammates who are doing the same. His call.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
See attachment showing the Filing by FSU. Has some interesting info about the escalatory amount of 4.5% per year and the issue of whether or not the Presidents approved the extension of the Tier One rights until 2036. As I said, I am not a lawyer, so I might be misunderstanding some of this!
Thanks for posting.

Admittedly, I didn’t read thoroughly, but it seems to me to be a lot of “feels” packaged up like a legal document.

I also found it interesting that they’re alleging the ACC did not negotiate in good faith by “trapping” members in GOR and entering into a “below market” deal…even though the deal was the highest in college sports at the time, all schools signed up willingly, and we just watch the PAC fail epically by overplaying their hand with regard to media deal demands.

It looks like a legal tantrum to me. :LOL:

Happy for someone to point me toward the “teeth” if they’re in there…

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for posting.

Admittedly, I didn’t read thoroughly, but it seems to me to be a lot of “feels” packaged up like a legal document.

I also found it interesting that they’re alleging the ACC did not negotiate in good faith by “trapping” members in GOR and entering into a “below market” deal…even though the deal was the highest in college sports at the time, all schools signed up willingly, and we just watch the PAC fail epically by overplaying their hand with regard to media deal demands.

It looks like a legal tantrum to me. :LOL:

Happy for someone to point me toward the “teeth” if they’re in there…

Do you think the possible non-approval by the presidents concerning extension of the Tier One rights has any merit?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you think the possible non-approval by the presidents concerning extension of the Tier One rights has any merit?
Well, it's been reported that Swofford made several trips to Tally to get their buy-in. Why would those trips have been necessary if he was playing Lone Ranger? I think that their only chance of winning in court would be if they can prove some major malfeasance on ACC's part. Otherwise the court will just uphold the contract. IMO, this is all part of a negotiating tactic to get a lower buyout....

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
What the CFP did to them is bad, and what the ACC may have done, but walking out in an undefeated season boggles the mind. The ultimate me-first attitude.
Yea, it really ticks me off, they blame the ACC for their short-comings, but they haven't exactly dominated the conference in recent times, and now have created all this turmoil. I can't believe I'm saying this, but in a sick kind of way, I hope UGAG buries them. :oops:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
While the ‘27 expiration is certainly an interesting wrinkle in all of this, and although it has never been publicly stated before this week (that I recall), I’m not sure how it would rise to the level of any wrongdoing by the ACC. If the deal was ‘27 with a 9 year option, it would make complete sense that the conference would need the commitment of schools through the option term… otherwise, what’s the point of having the option?

The other interesting part about an option is that an option typically has a “bump” associated. If ESPN exercised the option, it would likely be for more favorable terms for the ACC. That said, with the seeming trend in TV revenue, it looks increasingly likely that ESPN would not elect to exercise the option.

In the event ESPN does NOT exercise, it gets interesting. There has been a lot of talk about the GOR being tied to the ESPN deal (not sure what it true), so it would seem that the ACC could not enforce it to seek another media partner thru ‘36. If so, ESPN’s decision could relieve EVERYONE from GOR at the expiration of the initial ‘27 ESPN deal.
I just re-read the GORs, both the 2013 version and the latest 2016 version.
If anyone is interested: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://storageaccountstart88df.blob.core.windows.net/ndnationshare/ACC-Grant-of-Rights-1.pdf

This is the first time I have seen the latest version. It's clear that the ESPN agreement is an integral part of the GOR, and that ESPN made the extension until 2036 a prerequisite for their current contract. I'm not a lawyer, but it would appear that if ESPN chooses to not exercise their option in 2027, the 2016 GOR becomes contestable. This seems to be the issue that FSU is making noise about.