Conference Realignment

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Regarding this fiduciary responsibility business, would FSU not also have an equal obligation to support the conference in the same way? They've been publically crapping on the ACC and hurting the conference's reputation for years now.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Screwed up year due to the QB injury. Wouldn’t matter next year because 12 get in and FSU would be in.
Yeah, except next year we will still see the exact same shenanigans except instead of the #4 team it will be 9-12. If GT goes 10-2 and Ole Miss goes 10-2 there is absolutely no way the ESPN run committee will EVER pick an ACC team over an SEC team. They will always have a way to manipulate who gets in. I’m not white knighting for FSU at all. I’m white knighting for the ACC. And even though I hope the ACC dies and GT gets away from this country club group who have carried water for Duke and UNC for decades, as of today GT is still in the ACC and the ACC just got hosed on a level never seen before. And outside of FSU everyone is fine with it. But when it happens to their team they’ll wonder why no one cares. I’d feel the same way if it was Wake, Syracuse, or GT. If this would have been Mack Brown and UNC, Jim Phillips would have been everywhere in the media. But because it’s not part of the mafia he writes a strongly worded letter.

I just find it funny that the only time in recent memory where the ACC front office has shown any balls is when they are going after a member school. The rest of the time they just rubber stamp and accept fewer and fewer March Madness invites and crappy Bowl games. I love that their incompetence is now seen by everyone now that Duke and UNC hoops are no longer special and FSU and Clemson have them on blast in football.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, except next year we will still see the exact same shenanigans except instead of the #4 team it will be 9-12. If GT goes 10-2 and Ole Miss goes 10-2 there is absolutely no way the ESPN run committee will EVER pick an ACC team over an SEC team. They will always have a way to manipulate who gets in. I’m not white knighting for FSU at all. I’m white knighting for the ACC. And even though I hope the ACC dies and GT gets away from this country club group who have carried water for Duke and UNC for decades, as of today GT is still in the ACC and the ACC just got hosed on a level never seen before. And outside of FSU everyone is fine with it. But when it happens to their team they’ll wonder why no one cares. I’d feel the same way if it was Wake, Syracuse, or GT. If this would have been Mack Brown and UNC, Jim Phillips would have been everywhere in the media. But because it’s not part of the mafia he writes a strongly worded letter.

I just find it funny that the only time in recent memory where the ACC front office has shown any balls is when they are going after a member school. The rest of the time they just rubber stamp and accept fewer and fewer March Madness invites and crappy Bowl games. I love that their incompetence is now seen by everyone now that Duke and UNC hoops are no longer special and FSU and Clemson have them on blast in football.

Doesn’t ACC champ get in automatically next year? We should be able to have 2 teams on the top 12 in any year. No guarantee of course, but should be able to do that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing. I have a hard time believing anything bad about someone whose last name is Carson.

;)
I thought Carson was a good coach and had a brilliant defensive mind. He invented the cover 2 defense and was the architect of the steel curtain defense for the Pittsburgh Steelers. But he had two things going against him. He followed Dodd and, from his former marine days, he thought trying to relate to college kids was not his job.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There would have been some other excuse. It's pretty clear the SEC champ was going to be there come hell or high water.
The SEC began saber-rattling about the conference winner “better get in no matter who it is” weeks before the game was even played. My wish is that the ACC had responded immediately that, in the event of an undefeated ACC champion, the ACC “better get in.”

May not have made a difference but the complacency before the vote followed by the fake shock when FSU didn’t get in was disheartening.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
The SEC began saber-rattling about the conference winner “better get in no matter who it is” weeks before the game was even played. My wish is that the ACC had responded immediately that, in the event of an undefeated ACC champion, the ACC “better get in.”

May not have made a difference but the complacency before the vote followed by the fake shock when FSU didn’t get in was disheartening.
It was all about getting Alabama into the final four.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
It was all about getting Alabama into the final four.
Agreed that is a legit way of looking at it but from another view FSU was completely inept from an offensive perspective (unlike the OSU example from a few years back when they showed their O could still function in spite of going with a 3rd-string QB). So personally, I think FSU doomed themselves by not having a competent 3rd-string QB-led offense - they looked absolutely terrible (on O) from any objective perspective. Conference affiliation aside, FSU certainly did not look like a team that could compete with any of the top four who were picked. The CFP Committe made the right call based on how bad the FSU O looked w/o their 1st QB - and that's against a Louisville team who had just got smoked by a middling Kentucky team... While the decision sucked from an ACC fan view, the CFP Committe picked the legit top 4 - and OBTW, UGA should have been 5th - not FSU...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The argument for Alabama and Texas goes like this:

The committee had to pick Michigan and Washington because they were undefeated P5 champs. The committee had to pick Bama because they were from the SEC. And, since Texas beat Bama and will be in the SEC next year, they had to be in also. And, uga would also be in if Oregon had beaten Washington. They couldn't invite FSU because Tallahassee has a crappy little airport and no really good barbeque. And, Mike Norvell used to be the coach at Memphis for Christ sake. He probably can't even spell SEC.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO, they knew the Contract details and they willingly signed the Contract without Coercion ... end of story. The winners in this case will be the Lawyers who get to run up a huge fee over months of meaningless banter. My hope is they lose the lawsuit, we beat them in Ireland and they finish next season middle of the pack in the ACC. Then in the years following the ACC renegotiates a huge Revenue deal, finds a suitable replacement and kicks their asses out ...

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
The issue, of course, is beyond the champs it is all open ended. Again, subjectivism and favoritism will rule. I would expect that 3-4 SEC teams at minimum will be in every year.

SEC will have a minimum of 4 every year with 5 quite often. B1G will normally have 4, but could drop to 3 in some years. Every 3-4 years, a second team from the Big12/ACC or Notre Dame will get selected. A common lineup will be 1 ACC, 1 Big12, 1 G5, 5 SEC and 4 B1G.

And the rich will just keep getting richer.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Regarding this fiduciary responsibility business, would FSU not also have an equal obligation to support the conference in the same way? They've been publically crapping on the ACC and hurting the conference's reputation for years now.
FSU may have an argument if they can show the ACC acted in bad faith concerning the TV contracts, but their claim that they're more valuable than the rest of the teams in the conference and thus deserve a bigger slice of the pie is a moot point regardless of its truth or falsity. They signed the contract to share the proceeds equally, and that's that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
SEC will have a minimum of 4 every year with 5 quite often. B1G will normally have 4, but could drop to 3 in some years. Every 3-4 years, a second team from the Big12/ACC or Notre Dame will get selected. A common lineup will be 1 ACC, 1 Big12, 1 G5, 5 SEC and 4 B1G.

And the rich will just keep getting richer.
And won't that be absurd - when a conference's number five team gets to play for the national championship.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU may have an argument if they can show the ACC acted in bad faith concerning the TV contracts, but their claim that they're more valuable than the rest of the teams in the conference and thus deserve a bigger slice of the pie is a moot point regardless of its truth or falsity. They signed the contract to share the proceeds equally, and that's that.
Much will depend on the judge - in civil trials, the judge has a lot of leeway in selecting the matters to be tried. I haven't read the filings(and don't plan to), but lawyers often throw in everything they can come up with and the judge gets to sort that out. I've read that this suit includes whining about the addition of the three western schools - especially SMU; since they didn't get a share(I have no idea why that's an issue). If they get a strict judge, I could see him tossing everything except the contract dispute. Then it becomes a)is the contract legal, b)did you sign it and c)why shouldn't you be held to its terms. IMO, in that event F$U is screwed.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure that there's some "good conduct" language in the binding documents. Before these other issues came to light, I thought ACC would likely countersue and include F$U maliciously damaging the brand.