Conference Realignment

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Those byes are going to be important in a way that I feel like could be costly for the SEC/Big 10 depending on how long the system-as-designed lasts before another league implodes or something else dramatic happens.

A Big XII champ with a weak conference championship opponent skipping a game compared to an SEC team playing a possibly-much-harder championship game and then - if they lost that game - an extra game? Could be a notable edge.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Let's say the P4 conferences decide to pay the PACn to leave the CFP board. What would make sense for the B12 and ACC to vote to allow another SEC or B1G team in the CFP? Answer: a guarantee that two teams from each P4 conference are automatic, with the conference champion getting a 1st round bye. If that happpens, ND will have to be one of three at large teams.
That’s a really good point. So they need 6 votes, right? The P5 conferences and G5 reps?

I could certainly see something along the lines of that provided that the at-large is ranked in the top 20 of CFP rankings (or some sort of line / requirement). Maybe even the same for G5 so long as the at-large is in the top 25. ND probably tries to get in on that action and say they are guaranteed their spot if they’re top 15.
If all of that went to everyone’s max potential, you’d have:
4 - P4 conf champs (byes)
4 - P4 automatic at large
2 - G5
ND
and the final spot likely the third place SEC or BiG

It would be a great system but somehow I don’t see the SEC or BiG being that altruistic.

It will be interesting to see how Wazzou and ORSt leverage their votes. Do they try to rebuild the PAC and keep their tenuous P5 designation or do they basically lobby for inclusion in a P5 conference?

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How is that good for the ACC? Serious question. Has ND’s partnership with the ACC hurt the Conference since it started?

I get there is a lot of hate for ND in the GT community. I was at GT for the “fish” game.

Stepping back and looking at the big picture I just don’t see how this arrangement is Bad for the ACC? Please share your thoughts.

Under the present gift from the ACC, ND gets 5 guaranteed ACC games and full schedules for all other sports. With the new CFP playoff system and the now 4 Power 5 (4) conferences, ND would have hell of a time filling up a 12 (11 ?) Game schedule as a OOC game. Also, as part of the suck-up largesse of the ACC, they, ND, get to keep all their tv money while the ACC gets to have their asses whipped without at least having the added prestige of it having been by a Notre Dame ACC member. So the ACC gets a negative while ND gets quite a lot out of the deal.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Under the present gift from the ACC, ND gets 5 guaranteed ACC games and full schedules for all other sports. With the new CFP playoff system and the now 4 Power 5 (4) conferences, ND would have hell of a time filling up a 12 (11 ?) Game schedule as a OOC game. Also, as part of the suck-up largesse of the ACC, they, ND, get to keep all their tv money while the ACC gets to have their asses whipped without at least having the added prestige of it having been by a Notre Dame ACC member. So the ACC gets a negative while ND gets quite a lot out of the deal.
Wow. ND would have no trouble filling out its schedule. The SEC and ACC play 8 conference games. ND is a huge draw for any home game. B1G teams would love to have home and home with ND. USC always wants that game as does Stanford.

ND when they play at an ACC site gets a real boost in ratings for the ACC affiliated network televising the game.

ACC teams are very happy to have ND on their schedule.

ACC teams have gotten more TV money than ND since the ACC’s current contract with ESPN than ND got from NBC.

But there is a lot of jealousy / hate for ND out there and specifically from GT fans. Likely because they have kicked our asses in football with a few rare exceptions.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. ND would have no trouble filling out its schedule. The SEC and ACC play 8 conference games. ND is a huge draw for any home game. B1G teams would love to have home and home with ND. USC always wants that game as does Stanford.

ND when they play at an ACC site gets a real boost in ratings for the ACC affiliated network televising the game.

ACC teams have gotten more TV money than ND since the ACC’s current contract with ESPN than ND got from NBC.

But there is a lot of jealousy / hate for ND out there and specifically from GT fans. Likely because they have kicked our asses in football with a few rare exceptions.

We shall see.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

The problem is that ND would only get weak P5 teams willing to play them at home (outside OSU and Stanford). All tough P5 games for ND would be on the road. If your uga or LSU or Alabama, why would you travel to South Bend? You wouldn't. That's a lose/lose for any of those teams.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The problem is that ND would only get weak P5 teams willing to play them at home (outside OSU and Stanford). All tough P5 games for ND would be on the road. If your uga or LSU or Alabama, why would you travel to South Bend? You wouldn't. That's a lose/lose for any of those teams.
The reality is that the CFP era has made a two loss season a failure if your goal is reaching the playoffs. If you are in a P4 conference and have to fight through 8 or 9 tough conference games, then play at least one, maybe two, P4 opponents out of conference, you simply cannot take a chance on ND. Especially in South Bend. It will be interesting to see how the ACC handles this. It puts them at a disadvantagee versus the other three P4 conferences.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
SEC teams have had home and home with ND. In a 12 team playoff system a win over ND is a goid win, especially for a team that isn’t a conference champion. Teams want at least one solid P5/4 opponent. ND is that in spades.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
But not in South Bend.
I went to a Tennessee game at ND mid 2000s. The 5 ACC games have limited NDs schedule as they have kept Navy, USC and Stanford which is 8 games. They generally add one more P5 game and 3 cupcakes.

I just don’t see that They would not have an issue scheduling opponents.

Do you think ACC Teams like having an ND game on their schedule? Going to a game at ND is very nice. Having them for a home game helps boost attendance.

I just don’t see how the current arrangement is bad for the ACC. Having them full time for football would be better but losing them would be worse. The current arrangement seems solid for all concerned to me.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I went to a Tennessee game at ND mid 2000s. The 5 ACC games have limited NDs schedule as they have kept Navy, USC and Stanford which is 8 games. They generally add one more P5 game and 3 cupcakes.

Do you think ACC Teams like having an ND game on their schedule? Going to a game at ND is very nice. Having them for a home game helps boost attendance.

I just don’t see how the current arrangement is bad for the ACC. Having them full time for football would be better but losing them would be worse. The current arrangement seems solid for all concerned to me.
It's like landing a date with one of the prettiest girls in school.

On the one hand, you're proud of being seen at the hop with her. On the other hand, you know she's not really committed to you.

Hops ARE still a thing, right?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That’s a really good point. So they need 6 votes, right? The P5 conferences and G5 reps?

I could certainly see something along the lines of that provided that the at-large is ranked in the top 20 of CFP rankings (or some sort of line / requirement). Maybe even the same for G5 so long as the at-large is in the top 25. ND probably tries to get in on that action and say they are guaranteed their spot if they’re top 15.
If all of that went to everyone’s max potential, you’d have:
4 - P4 conf champs (byes)
4 - P4 automatic at large
2 - G5
ND
and the final spot likely the third place SEC or BiG

It would be a great system but somehow I don’t see the SEC or BiG being that altruistic.

It will be interesting to see how Wazzou and ORSt leverage their votes. Do they try to rebuild the PAC and keep their tenuous P5 designation or do they basically lobby for inclusion in a P5 conference?
As long as they don’t have a stinking committee reinterpreting the criteria every year it’s fine.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's like landing a date with one of the prettiest girls in school.

On the one hand, you're proud of being seen at the hop with her. On the other hand, you know she's not really committed to you.

Hops ARE still a thing, right?
Uga vs Gt tv had 5.6 million viewers. Gt fans think people watched to see us.
( It was our time to shine. We did suprise and but for a few dropped td passes could have really impressed ADVERTISERS. )
I like the idea of us getting on dance floor w homecoming queen and rocking out.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
As long as they don’t have a stinking committee reinterpreting the criteria every year it’s fine.
I believe they will appoint a playoff committee to layout the details of the playoff and establish the selection committee. The selection committee will work in conjunction with an objective oversight committee to establish the criteria and procedures for playoff selection.
The oversight committee will monitor the selection committee and report to the playoff committee to insure that the entire process is completely objective and transparent.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
The oversight committee will monitor the selection committee and report to the playoff committee to insure that the entire process is completely objective and transparent.
With all those committees, what could go wrong....

Back in the olden days of VHS, my daughters had that video. Whenever anyone says "committee", that's the first thing that comes to mind....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I'm not disagreeing with you. My comment was that if they don't get a guaranteed 5 games from the ACC, they would have a hard time filling their schedule with quality opponents without weakening their home schedule and increasing the difficulty of their away schedule.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not disagreeing with you. My comment was that if they don't get a guaranteed 5 games from the ACC, they would have a hard time filling their schedule with quality opponents without weakening their home schedule and increasing the difficulty of their away schedule.
That could be true. The question was how does the current arrangement hurt the ACC? No one has addressed that question so far that I have seen.