Conference Realignment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Found this interesting re: Conference Realignment. Of the 12 most watched regular season games 6 featured at least 1 team who will be in the B1G next year, including each of the top 4 and 5 of the top 7. Next year’s SEC had 5, the Big 12 had 3 (all were Colorado), and the ACC only had 1.

To me, this signals that the B1G made the right call in going for a more national approach, and eventually the SEC will get left behind as a regional alternative. I also believe the B1G will eventually break into the south to try and break up even the regional draw of the SEC. Whenever the next round of realignment occurs, UNC, UVA, and Miami will all probably be accumulated by the B1G, Clemson & FSU will go to the SEC to further increase their regional stranglehold, and schools like GT, VT, NCSU, Louisville, Pitt, and BC will have to fight to get a spot or get left behind like Oregon State and Wazzu. I could also see the B1G plucking the biggest names out of the Big 12 eventually like Kansas, Utah, and Arizona to really create a national conference to try and suck the life out of the SEC.

I don’t know what the next 5-10 years of college athletics are going to look like, but it’s going to be drastically different than what it was in 2015.

The B1G has a huge population base in the States they have teams in. They are also composed of a lot of very large State Universities which turnout a lot of fans. They really don't compete with other Conferences in the tates where they play like the SEC and ACC compete in 4 States.

It would be interesting to see the viewership for true West Coast games like USC vs UCLA and Oregon vs Washington. Those will likely be the high water marks for what the 4 teams bring to the B1G.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck

Found this interesting re: Conference Realignment. Of the 12 most watched regular season games 6 featured at least 1 team who will be in the B1G next year, including each of the top 4 and 5 of the top 7. Next year’s SEC had 5, the Big 12 had 3 (all were Colorado), and the ACC only had 1.

To me, this signals that the B1G made the right call in going for a more national approach, and eventually the SEC will get left behind as a regional alternative. I also believe the B1G will eventually break into the south to try and break up even the regional draw of the SEC. Whenever the next round of realignment occurs, UNC, UVA, and Miami will all probably be accumulated by the B1G, Clemson & FSU will go to the SEC to further increase their regional stranglehold, and schools like GT, VT, NCSU, Louisville, Pitt, and BC will have to fight to get a spot or get left behind like Oregon State and Wazzu. I could also see the B1G plucking the biggest names out of the Big 12 eventually like Kansas, Utah, and Arizona to really create a national conference to try and suck the life out of the SEC.

I don’t know what the next 5-10 years of college athletics are going to look like, but it’s going to be drastically different than what it was in 2015, and the B1G is making a push to control it

This is interesting, the only "new" Big 10 team on the list is Oregon and that game was arguably more about Deion until Oregon won it (and then we don't see any more Colorado games on the list). No USC on the list despite a hot start to the year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I don’t know what the next 5-10 years of college athletics are going to look like, but it’s going to be drastically different than what it was in 2015, and the B1G is making a push to control it

Interesting argument.

Of course the B1G claims that none of their moves are predicated on what other conferences do nor with trying to win ratings wars with other conferences. It’s not inconceivable that they are telling the truth. They want to get stronger for sure but they’ve been clear about their brand for a long time. Again, the claim is that Southern Cal and Oregon were making moves and the B1G needed to act to protect its brand and preserve an historical relationship with the PAC. Dollar signs didn’t hurt.

The SEC also has been clear about their motivation, wanting a regionally contiguous conference while strengthening their brand. Cherry picking top teams is also part of their strategy.

In theory these two conferences can coexist without conflict. But, I think that each secretly thinks they have the winning strategy. The SEC can bank on being a sun belt conference for the most part with a growing population. They are counting on each younger generation to increase their attachment to the region. The B1G, as you point out, is a national brand with large fans bases in every region. Their advantage comes from adding teams that already have a national following which is why Notre Dame would be a natural fit.

The ACC is a weird hybrid that in theory could have the best of both worlds. But that would require Miami, FSU, and Tech recovering, if possible, their previous roles of being “national” teams. Clemson is the closest team, in reputation, to a national power. Too many other teams in the ACC are far removed from their glory years, teams like Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Boston College.

Agree that this is a conference that could easily be picked apart by other conferences. I have hoped for the longest that the ACC could develop an identity, brand, and esprit de corps. Stability and stronger teams would accomplish this. Constant talk of teams leaving doesn’t help.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
87981830-AAE5-4360-A698-4D6DB611666A.jpeg

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

Agree. If we can get our ducks in a row, we will be a prime candidate for the B1G if we choose, being in the south in Atlanta and our rich history in CFB. And we have a great team working on this now in Key, Batt, and most importantly president Cabrera. In my opinion.

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan

Here’s the list of all the ABC Saturday Night Football games this year as a point of comparison. Impressive we beat out ND twice, as well as two ranked matchups for #5 Washington. If you include the ESPN Saturday night game as well, we also beat some big time SEC matchups like Week 3 Tennessee-Florida (5.31M), Week 5 LSU-Ole Miss (3.72M), Week 6 Kentucky-Georgia (3.19M), and most surprisingly Week 11 Ole Miss-Georgia (4.83M). The one ESPN Saturday night game that smashed COFH’s 5.33M was Week 2 Texas-Alabama (8.76M)
20E7BC47-7910-4697-A354-9FFE2BF2CB7D.png

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think us keeping it so close brought eyes to the game later on. Folks want the mutts to be humbled. Check out the championship game numbers...awful, especially last year, but even with the rematch vs Bama in 21, numbers were down if I remember correctly.
Exactly! Your memory is correct. The championship game viewership numbers have been down the past two years. I think last year’s viewership number were the worst ever.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else run across any rumors of 3 ACC teams wanting to join the Big 12? Wake Forest was supposedly one of them.
Whoever started this rumor claimed inside sources of back room talks. It’s probably total hogwash and I apologize for spreading an unsubstantiated rumor but just wondered if anyone else had run across this.

slugboy

Staff member
Anyone else run across any rumors of 3 ACC teams wanting to join the Big 12? Wake Forest was supposedly one of them.
Whoever started this rumor claimed inside sources of back room talks. It’s probably total hogwash and I apologize for spreading an unsubstantiated rumor but just wondered if anyone else had run across this.
No. I saw one about the B12 and the ACC both being interested in WSU and Oregon State, but Mountain West is more reasonable

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was started by MVHVER who is one of the butt hurt West Virginia kooks who is always spreading a new theory about how the ACC is about to fall apart and that B12 is going to pick up the pieces.

FWIW, no ACC to B12 rumor makes any sense when you look at the media contracts. ACC programs get more from their media contract than the B12 does - and the valuation between them becomes larger as you go forward in time. Any ACC school leaving the ACC for the B12 would be leaving for less money.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I saw a message from an anonymous big 12 message board prognosticator (this guy got his internet cred from a previous “I called it!” claim about prior conference moves). He claimed seven ACC teams had reached out to the big 12 to gauge interest/opportunity. GT was actually one of them in his claim. It was anonymous message board fodder sent to me by a nole but yes, I guess I have heard something like that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I saw a message from an anonymous big 12 message board prognosticator (this guy got his internet cred from a previous “I called it!” claim about prior conference moves). He claimed seven ACC teams had reached out to the big 12 to gauge interest/opportunity. GT was actually one of them in his claim. It was anonymous message board fodder sent to me by a nole but yes, I guess I have heard something like that.
Yeah, when I accidentally ran across this, I internet searched and four YouTube videos on the subject came up which I haven’t watched.

I guess the “rationale” behind the rumor is that 2-4 teams may leave for the SEC, 2-4 teams might join the Big, and the rest don’t want to be homeless since the Big 12 is filling up fast with leftovers from other conferences.

Interesting to note that shills for the SEC have simultaneously promoted FSU and Clemson joining the SEC and also saying it can’t work / no room for them / SEC is done with expansion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wake would not offer anything the SEC or B1G would want. If the ACC explodes they would need to have a plan to survive. I can't blame them for having a contingency plan.