Conference Realignment

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just saw court ruled against Oregon State and Washington State for control of PAC 12 money. IF…Oregon State and Washington State were to agree to an SMU like deal…do y’all think we would take them?

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Just saw court ruled against Oregon State and Washington State for control of PAC 12 money. IF…Oregon State and Washington State were to agree to an SMU like deal…do y’all think we would take them?
Channeling Lee Corso, "Not so fast, my friend." The Washington Supreme court granted a stay to the X-10 pending hearing the case on Dec. 12. This has a long way to go yet and will likely end up in Federal Court before it's over...

Washington Supreme Court blocks previous ruling that gave Oregon State, Washington State control over Pac-12

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t know about you guys, but the more and more I think about conference realignment the more I realize that Tech is best off in the ACC long term with like minded schools in regards to fan base size, academics, and…money put into sports. I say this because…

The following programs are more or less equally ‘in’ and dedicated to sports as GT:

BC, Wake, Duke, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Cal, Stanford, VT, NC State. UNC and Miami close. Clemson and FSU all in.

The reality is that in the Big 10 we would be another Rutgers, Northwestern, or Purdue. All others far ahead.

In the SEC, we would at best be better than Vandy, maybe at Miss State’s / Kentucky level maybe.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
Husky Stadium is cool. Oregon Ducks are like the Butt Sniffers but with billions of Nike dollars. I can't say whether it would be good to have them in our conference because I don't what a conference is anymore.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Have you ever lived in the Pacific Northwest? If so you would hard pass on both.

I lived in Tacoma for 2 years in my mid 20's. LOVED it. Visit the PNW area every year now. Outdoor scene is incredible, food is amazing, and the views are breathtaking. Yes, there's some weather issues, but small price pay for what that area offers.

It's not for everyone, but you can say that about a lot of other places.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven't lived in the PNW but I've traveled there for work a lot and honestly I'm still suprised the Big 10 even wanted two PNW schools. Just seemed like a different environment, fan-wise, Oregon's bajilliions of dollars notwithstanding. But Nike+Oregon sells for TV well enough, I suppose. The other two are definitely lower-profile, Leach-years-aside.

slugboy

Staff member
I haven't lived in the PNW but I've traveled there for work a lot and honestly I'm still suprised the Big 10 even wanted two PNW schools. Just seemed like a different environment, fan-wise, Oregon's bajilliions of dollars notwithstanding. But Nike+Oregon sells for TV well enough, I suppose. The other two are definitely lower-profile, Leach-years-aside.
Washington State is near Spokane—east of the Rockies. It’s rural and desert.

Oregon State is in Corvallis—near the Pacific.

They’re both the “little brother” schools in their states

We’ve been in that position, though

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Why is that?
Would you want Mississippi State in the ACC if it was 3000 miles away? If not you don't want either Washington or Oregon State. They re clearly viewed as the "lesser" schools in both States by a huge degree. Both are in the middle of nowhere.

The Pacific Northwest is a very nice area but you don't want to travel to either Pullman WA or Corvallis OR unless you have to.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Would you want Mississippi State in the ACC if it was 3000 miles away? If not you don't want either Washington or Oregon State. They re clearly viewed as the "lesser" schools in both States by a huge degree. Both are in the middle of nowhere.

The Pacific Northwest is a very nice area but you don't want to travel to either Pullman WA or Corvallis OR unless you have to.
If WSU and OSU are desperate enough to give up their media rights for a few years, the ACC will take them. They'll do anything for a fast buck.
They'll scarf all the money off the table they can get their hands on before 2036 rolls around. And who knows, it might be the best move, under the circumstances.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If WSU and OSU are desperate enough to give up their media rights for a few years, the ACC will take them. They'll do anything for a fast buck.
They'll scarf all the money off the table they can get their hands on before 2036 rolls around. And who knows, it might be the best move, under the circumstances.
Yep, there will be the SECheat and the Big Integer and all the rest will be ACC. Who needs the NCAA then?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Have a friend who lives in Corvallis, and, having lived in multiple states and towns, he feels he has finally found his home. In short, he loves Corvallis! I think it’s hard to be objective about places in this country. Everyone has a preference or a prejudice about places. My preference is to live on either coast and avoid the middle of the country. Places like Nebraska and Oklahoma, though nice enough to visit, give me the willies if I think about living there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Have a friend who lives in Corvallis, and, having lived in multiple states and towns, he feels he has finally found his home. In short, he loves Corvallis! I think it’s hard to be objective about places in this country. Everyone has a preference or a prejudice about places. My preference is to live on either coast and avoid the middle of the country. Places like Nebraska and Oklahoma, though nice enough to visit, give me the willies if I think about living there.
Well said and quite true. There are areas that give me the willies as well, but not the same places you mention...LOL (and if you guessed that Queens NY was one of those you'd be correct)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well said and quite true. There are areas that give me the willies as well, but not the same places you mention...LOL (and if you guessed that Queens NY was one of those you'd be correct)
Just across the river from me is the town of Harlow, NC. You drive down the main road and people with guns are out wondering what you are up to. Definitely a willie producing place.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Found this interesting re: Conference Realignment. Of the 12 most watched regular season games 6 featured at least 1 team who will be in the B1G next year, including each of the top 4 and 5 of the top 7. Next year’s SEC had 5, the Big 12 had 3 (all were Colorado), and the ACC only had 1.

To me, this signals that the B1G made the right call in going for a more national approach, and eventually the SEC will get left behind as a regional alternative. I also believe the B1G will eventually break into the south to try and break up even the regional draw of the SEC. Whenever the next round of realignment occurs, UNC, UVA, and Miami will all probably be accumulated by the B1G, Clemson & FSU will go to the SEC to further increase their regional stranglehold, and schools like GT, VT, NCSU, Louisville, Pitt, and BC will have to fight to get a spot or get left behind like Oregon State and Wazzu. I could also see the B1G plucking the biggest names out of the Big 12 eventually like Kansas, Utah, and Arizona to really create a national conference to try and suck the life out of the SEC.

I don’t know what the next 5-10 years of college athletics are going to look like, but it’s going to be drastically different than what it was in 2015, and the B1G is making a push to control it