Conference Realignment

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
No to Tulane and UAB. USF could be interesting. Their student body is larger than FSU's. Just like Miami, they don't have an on-campus stadium, but they have approved a new 35,000 on campus stadium that should be completed by 2026. Seems to me that several schools that are building new stadiums are opting for the smaller venues instead of the mega stadiums.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In terms of school profile, I think GA State is a bigger threat to go P5 than GA Southern. I've said it before, I can easily see them in the Big 12 one day.

Definitley if im the big 12 do i take g state or southern. State is more likely to regress to being a doormat, giving you a free win in atlanta. Paulson is a hostile environment.

If i am caring about future competitiveness then i want app state and southern.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
No to all of them. We don't need anymore G5 teams, let the Big 12 do that and we can take the better teams from the Big 12.

Tulane is the only one even remotely of interest for the academic and historical significance, but they are tiny and probably not able to commit at the level needed.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tulane has a profile more like other ACC schools but they had several really lean years. Fritz has done an amazing job there and it is a fine academic school in a fun location. Would they bring additional TV revenue seems to be the main question these days.
Tulane is dying as a school. I nearly went there before enrolling at Tech. Financially struggling, they’ve closed a number of schools (degree programs), and they not as flush as they used to be. Maybe they’ve righted the ship but they once had a strong regional reputation… now, much much more local. Still, a fun school.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Tulane is dying as a school. I nearly went there before enrolling at Tech. Financially struggling, they’ve closed a number of schools (degree programs), and they not as flush as they used to be. Maybe they’ve righted the ship but they once had a strong regional reputation… now, much much more local. Still, a fun school.
This sounds about right. Grew up in that area and there is a love-hate relationship between locals and Tulane. The eggheads at Tulane are generally MUCH more liberal then the area around them and they have generated a lot of ill will with their environmental activities locally which are usually opposed by the local citizenry. Plus, athletically Tulane hasn't cared about sports in decades. And their record shows that. Hence, sidewalk fans almost exclusively break for LSU and not Tulane. Their stadium capacity is 30,000 and they only sell it out if they play an Ole Miss or GT or the like there. Even with Fritz they are averaging about 23,000 fans per game outside of the Ole Miss sellout.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Only game I have been to where vendors roamed the stadium with mini kegs on their backs and a tap hose down their arm. Old Tulane on campus stadium in the 70's. And an UGLY green wave mascot costume.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
My best friend is from NOLA . He went to Duke undergrad and Tulane med school. He hardly mentions Tulane. He is big Duke supporter and often invites me to football and basketball games (usually to watch them crush us at Cameron).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have to say, I will always have a fondness and nostalgia about Tulane. Irrational I know but I remember as a kid, during some of Dodd’s last years, Tulane always seemed to be nervous point in the schedule and could give Tech an unexpectedly tough game. And, of course, The Sugar Bowl stadium was a kind of football temple, a southern version if you will of the LA Coliseum. Good academics in a party town with the original member of the SEC. If they could come back from the dead I would welcome them in a heartbeat to the ACC.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I have to say, I will always have a fondness and nostalgia about Tulane. Irrational I know but I remember as a kid, during some of Dodd’s last years, Tulane always seemed to be nervous point in the schedule and could give Tech an unexpectedly tough game. And, of course, The Sugar Bowl stadium was a kind of football temple, a southern version if you will of the LA Coliseum. Good academics in a party town with the original member of the SEC. If they could come back from the dead I would welcome them in a heartbeat to the ACC.
I'm (barely) old enough to remember when Tulane might be picked to win a game in the Pigskin Picks rag that could be picked up at the 7-11. I think both the best days of my youth and the best days of the Tulane football program are behind us.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@Techster Your Twitter guy posted today that the ACC expansion candidates that he posted are in reference to something happening sometime before the next Big10 and SEC media deals, not anything happening soon. ACC teams leaving and new ACC teams joining around the new media deals for those conferences is something I could believe. However, if it isn't going to happen for at least seven more years, there is zero reason to be vetting programs now. Any programs vetted now could be in a completely different situation in seven years. I still call BS on the first Twitter post you linked to. I think his post today was mainly a CYA, because nobody else is going to find information that backs up his original claim.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster Your Twitter guy posted today that the ACC expansion candidates that he posted are in reference to something happening sometime before the next Big10 and SEC media deals, not anything happening soon. ACC teams leaving and new ACC teams joining around the new media deals for those conferences is something I could believe. However, if it isn't going to happen for at least seven more years, there is zero reason to be vetting programs now. Any programs vetted now could be in a completely different situation in seven years. I still call BS on the first Twitter post you linked to. I think his post today was mainly a CYA, because nobody else is going to find information that backs up his original claim.

We'll see how it all plays out, but you should probably not get in your feelings about random tweets. There will be plenty of those tweets before the conference tectonic plates are finished moving. People were sure the B1G wouldn't take Oregon and Washington (tooting my own horn here, I said it would eventually happen...though I didn't expect it as soon as it did), and lo and behold things moved and Oregon and Washington were willing to take a partial share on the front end and the deal happened.

There's rumors that the ACC may let some of the disgruntled teams leave early for a significant sum as to not deal with the acrimony for the next decade while capitalizing before schools leave for free. Your opinion is that vetting is being done too early, but if ESPN/FOX (let's be honest, they're the ones ultimately pulling the strings) want to facilitate moving some chess pieces around while giving the ACC incentive to let certain teams go (for an enormous fee), then the ACC is doing the right thing by making sure they do their due diligence on teams possibly moving in to back fill the teams moving out. Guys like you and I have no clue what's going on behind the scenes with teams, conferences, and networks. Some people are better plugged in. You're more than welcome to be suspicious of anything you hear or read, but I'm inclined to just enjoy the drama because it doesn't affect me either way. I just hope GT isn't taking a step back by staying in the ACC. If GT does take a step back, that will be a situation our administration and some donors put us in, but my enjoyment of college sports will go on.

This is just entertainment for sports fans. I suggest you treat it that way.

Last edited: