Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you 100% that our opinions are based on preference. It's rare that everyone has the same tastes in food, culture, arts, etc. New Orleans is definitely a great city, but it's my opinion (emphasis on "my") that given NO's hype, it just doesn't deliver. That's not to say New Orleans isn't a place worth visiting, it most definitely is...and I highly recommend it to anyone that's never been. From elementary through high school I visited NO almost every summer to visit my mother's childhood friend, and I cherish the memories I made running around the city with my "cousins".

I'm in my early 40's, and the older I get, the more I value history and tradition. However, I'm also a person that believes in reinvention and progression. It's great to see a once crime ridden neighborhoods like Old 4th Ward in Atlanta (where I live) reinvent itself into a great place to visit and live as opposed place people avoided. Savannah has become one of my favorite quick getaways from the city due to its location on the water (saltwater fishing is one of my favorite pastimes) and how they've reinvented themselves but kept its old founding roots. Sure there's some commercialization going on, but the joy I get when I go to Savannah and you can visibly see how the old and new are mixing harmoniously as you walk along the river. I find that to be a great balance of how you can reinvent yourself but stick to your roots.

There's no right or wrong answer to this discussion. It's just a matter of preference.
Yep, I still go to Savannah regularly. Especially since moving back to the coast this year. Still love it. Even though it still smells, still has crime and still has overrated restaurants. 😊

I envy you in the 4th Ward. At one time I was looking for inner city living, preferably a loft, and looked lots of places. Timing with work and family was off and I missed my opportunity. I have now moved back to the suburbs, which I thought I would never do, but living on top of a mountain got to be too hard for my wife.

I can’t think of a single urban area that doesn’t have problems though I would say of all the places I’ve spent considerable time, Boston had the fewest issues for me. But everyone has a different experience wherever you go.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yep, I still go to Savannah regularly. Especially since moving back to the coast this year. Still love it. Even though it still smells, still has crime and still has overrated restaurants. 😊

I envy you in the 4th Ward. At one time I was looking for inner city living, preferably a loft, and looked lots of places. Timing with work and family was off and I missed my opportunity. I have now moved back to the suburbs, which I thought I would never do, but living on top of a mountain got to be too hard for my wife.

I can’t think of a single urban area that doesn’t have problems though I would say of all the places I’ve spent considerable time, Boston had the fewest issues for me. But everyone has a different experience wherever you go.
Just to tag on since I've been walking around Boston the last two days, but totally agree. I'm sure there are less safe areas somewhere, but I never saw them. Their train system blows Marta out of the water in almost every way, and it's very heavily used by everyone so doesn't feel unsafe at all. And regarding your last post, so much history! They aren't tearing down much of anything to build something bigger in its place, so you get to see tons of cool architectural styles and neighborhoods and historic places.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just to tag on since I've been walking around Boston the last two days, but totally agree. I'm sure there are less safe areas somewhere, but I never saw them. Their train system blows Marta out of the water in almost every way, and it's very heavily used by everyone so doesn't feel unsafe at all. And regarding your last post, so much history! They aren't tearing down much of anything to build something bigger in its place, so you get to see tons of cool architectural styles and neighborhoods and historic places.
It’s one of my favorite cities in the world. Very accessible and easy to get around and loaded with charm.

I’m sure you’ve walked the Freedom Trail as well as eaten in the North End, walked around Copley Square, and those are just the obvious things. Much more the locals can show a person.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
My previous post was written at halftime when Colorado was up 29-0.

The game ended 46-43 with our new stablemates prevailing in 2 OT.

Boy, is my face cardinal.
Just saw the condensed game. Damn, the Stanford guys had "Huevos", being down 29 to nil and coming back to win it in OT. Specially the catch by Ayomanor.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Which begs to ask the question. With SMU, CAL, and Stanford being added, will the conference change the name?
Would you give up a brand name for no purpose? Has the Big Ten changed it’s name in 1990 when Penn State became the 11th team? Did the Big 12 change it’s name when it dropped to 10 teams when Texas A&M and Arkansas left in 2012?

Of course not. You don’t give up a well established brand name for no purpose

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Would you give up a brand name for no purpose? Has the Big Ten changed it’s name in 1990 when Penn State became the 11th team? Did the Big 12 change it’s name when it dropped to 10 teams when Texas A&M and Mizzou left in 2012?

ftfy

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Would you give up a brand name for no purpose? Has the Big Ten changed it’s name in 1990 when Penn State became the 11th team? Did the Big 12 change it’s name when it dropped to 10 teams when Texas A&M and Arkansas left in 2012?

Yeah, I honestly might be more surprised if the names are changed.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m hearing rumor on another message board that GT could be leaving the ACC for the B1G with an announcement this weekend. Would explain why the football schedules were still up in the air after the recent ACC AD meeting.

I personally don’t understand how that would work with the grant of rights, but just passing along what I’m hearing. Would be exciting news if true.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’m hearing rumor on another message board that GT could be leaving the ACC for the B1G with an announcement this weekend. Would explain why the football schedules were still up in the air after the recent ACC AD meeting.

I personally don’t understand how that would work with the grant of rights, but just passing along what I’m hearing. Would be exciting news if true.
That announcement this weekend would be more shocking than the Miami finish.

Hopefully it comes at some point but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My reaction to this is WTF! We cannot afford popcorn in the 2nd half because we had a hot dog in the 1st half. How are we getting out of the GOR and paying the exit fee. OK, so the B1G needs the ATL market so badly they are ponying up $150 million to pave our exit route. Right. I have some water view property for sale in South Florida at a great price.