Conference Realignment

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
One thing that irks me about this article (I know it's not the point, but still) - since when is North Carolina one of the ACC's "four historic football powers"?

Their most recent ACC Championship was 1980. Hell, since the inception of the ACC Championship Game they've only made 1 appearance, compared to GT's 4 and Virginia Tech's 6. Even Pitt. Wake Forest, and Boston College have more appearances than them.

And I count 0 national championships in their history.

I always thought of Duke and North Carolina as almost guaranteed wins in football. Amazing how the SportsCenter & GameDay anchors can simply push a different narrative and the rest of the press picks it up and runs with it.
They are a legend in their own mind.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
One thing that irks me about this article (I know it's not the point, but still) - since when is North Carolina one of the ACC's "four historic football powers"?

Their most recent ACC Championship was 1980. Hell, since the inception of the ACC Championship Game they've only made 1 appearance, compared to GT's 4 and Virginia Tech's 6. Even Pitt. Wake Forest, and Boston College have more appearances than them.

I always thought of Duke and North Carolina as almost guaranteed wins in football. Amazing how the SportsCenter & GameDay anchors can simply push a different narrative and the rest of the press picks it up and runs with it.
Putting UNC football in the top four of “historic football powers” I am guessing their rankings must look something like this:
1. (Tie)Notre Dame, FSU
2. (tie) Clemson, GT, Miami
3. (Tie) Pittsburgh, Syracuse
4. North Carolina

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Putting UNC football in the top four of “historic football powers” I am guessing their rankings must look something like this:
1. (Tie)Notre Dame, FSU
2. (tie) Clemson, GT, Miami
3. (Tie) Pittsburgh, Syracuse
4. North Carolina
The Hokies might argue with that list.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
They may have an argument. In the context of “historical power,” everyone in the top 3 has nattys.
VT could be tied for 4th with such criteria

Point stands… its pretty darned hard to wiggle UNC into a “top four” football discussion
I agree, but still slightly ahead of NC maybe.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Agree with everything you stated except the bolded part. While we have about a .600 winning ratio against UNC since joining the conference, I don't consider 60/40 an "almost guaranteed win". Our 2014 team, one of the best in recent history, had one of their two regular-season losses against them. The fact that we've managed to beat them with relatively weak teams in the last couple of years may be contributing to recency bias.
Mack Brown has elevated them...slightly, but not to the extent they have been hyped lately. He's been able to recruit elite QBs, and going by their first game this year, may have an improved defense which has previously been their weakness.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

With Ray and Clark Hunt plus the others shown in the Supporter list, looks like SMU could become the strongest of the new additions. SMU has already started an expansion of their stadium
including a new Athletic complex.

I understand that their Boulevard collective is already paying each Football Player and each Men's basketball player $36 K each.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There was a sports show on ESPN that openly touted how SMU in past bought (and cheated to the point of close down) and expects that they will buy their way into success if possible.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was a sports show on ESPN that openly touted how SMU in past bought (and cheated to the point of close down) and expects that they will buy their way into success if possible.
There are sports shows on ESPN that praise SEC teams for pushing the limits of NCAA rules because they do whatever it takes to win. I wish at some point the commentators would document what is good and what is bad, then praise or criticize based on that criteria. The way it is now, no matter what the ACC does it is bad. If the SEC does the same thing next week, it will be good.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
There are sports shows on ESPN that praise SEC teams for pushing the limits of NCAA rules because they do whatever it takes to win. I wish at some point the commentators would document what is good and what is bad, then praise or criticize based on that criteria. The way it is now, no matter what the ACC does it is bad. If the SEC does the same thing next week, it will be good.
I guess I’m the ACC and my wife is the SEC.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
It usually takes me the entire following week after a loss to finally get hyped up for another game. So it was in this case, too. Time to move on.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Read an article why SMU willing to give up TV income to ACC. They have a multi billionaire alum who will support the program to offset loss of tv revenue. Made his money in oil and gas industry.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Read an article why SMU willing to give up TV income to ACC. They have a multi billionaire alum who will support the program to offset loss of tv revenue. Made his money in oil and gas industry.
They have two members of the Hunt family funding them. Enough said.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Also of note…
They are giving up the “tier 1” media part of the ACC deal. That’s about $25m.
They still get media from the lower tier rights as well as post season and bonuses. All told, they expect to make roughly the $9-$10m they were already making in G5. The donations are gravy… and it’s a LOT of gravy, make no mistake.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Here’s what you need to know:

• Oregon State and Washington State are the two remaining schools in the conference moving forward. Ten of the 12 programs announced their departures for other conferences, starting in 2024, within the last 18 months.
  • According to the Pac-12 constitution and bylaws, if a member school gives notice of withdrawal, it immediately ceases to be a member of the Pac-12 Board of Directors, meaning Oregon State and Washington State should now make up the entire Board of Directors membership.
  • Both schools requested a temporary restraining order “to prevent the Pac-12 from permitting the departing members of the Pac-12 Board of Directors from meeting and attempting to take any action regarding the status or governance of the conference in ways that preclude OSU and WSU from potentially rebuilding the conference.”
  • The actions of the universities were taken to confirm that OSU and WSU are the sole remaining voting members of the Pac-12 Board of Directors.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Here’s what you need to know:

• Oregon State and Washington State are the two remaining schools in the conference moving forward. Ten of the 12 programs announced their departures for other conferences, starting in 2024, within the last 18 months.
  • According to the Pac-12 constitution and bylaws, if a member school gives notice of withdrawal, it immediately ceases to be a member of the Pac-12 Board of Directors, meaning Oregon State and Washington State should now make up the entire Board of Directors membership.
  • Both schools requested a temporary restraining order “to prevent the Pac-12 from permitting the departing members of the Pac-12 Board of Directors from meeting and attempting to take any action regarding the status or governance of the conference in ways that preclude OSU and WSU from potentially rebuilding the conference.”
  • The actions of the universities were taken to confirm that OSU and WSU are the sole remaining voting members of the Pac-12 Board of Directors.
Wow. Just wow.

It’s almost like when you suddenly realize that a person you were fond of really is dead and now you have to focus on cleaning up their affairs before the vultures swoop in.