Featured Member

So Revenue break out is
Years 1-7 - Stanford/Cal 30%, SMU 0%
Year 8 - Stanford/Cal 70%, SMU 0%
Year 9 - Stanford/Cal 75%, SMU 0%
Year 10-12 - Stanford/Cal/SMU 100%

slugboy

Staff member
How deep is the money at SMU that they can forgo $300+ Million over the next decade and still compete at the P5 level? Oil money...
Pw Scrooge GIF

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Compare to what they are getting now in the AAC media deal, not the ACC deal. They are only forgoing a few million a year which their alumni will happily pony up to finally get invited to a major conference

Once they are in the ACC, they are getting ZERO $$$. Point is, SMU is "paying to play", and it's not cheap to compete in P5. GT would die on the vine without ACC money. Not the case for SMU if they are willing to take $0 for almost a decade.

ACC payout is north of $30 million a year, and in the future that will grow. $300 million over the next decade is a conservative estimate.

slugboy

Staff member
An interesting chat with my neighbor today. He is a bit embarrassed by the "sour grapes letter" from the BOT. He said NC State had already notified UNC they were going to vote YES this morning.
That may be partially why--once NCST flipped, UNC could show their a**es without consequences.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Someone break it down real quick - is each school going to realize an extra $3M per year after travel costs are taken into account? That's what I am reading.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
An interesting chat with my neighbor today. He is a bit embarrassed by the "sour grapes letter" from the BOT. He said NC State had already notified UNC they were going to vote YES this morning.
Interesting ..... didn't they just chastise FSU for their barking being detrimental to the conference and uncalled for? Couldn't they have just kept quiet or better yet accepted their fate with a "Yes" vote? Are they two-faced? UUUUUUH yeah!!!!!!

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
How deep is the money at SMU that they can forgo $300+ Million over the next decade and still compete at the P5 level? Oil money...
Way back in this thread somewhere, it was mentioned that they have a group of wealthy alumni that pledged approximately $500M to make it happen.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Someone break it down real quick - is each school going to realize an extra $3M per year after travel costs are taken into account? That's what I am reading.
That's in the range of what I had estimated earlier in the thread. I haven't re-run the numbers based on the assumed more accurate data coming out today, but my assumptions were reasonably close. An extra $3M per year for us is significant.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
the next questions is how to configure football with 17 teams..weird number particularly if you keep permanent opponents like the 3 we have today. Off the wall thoughr would be to pickup UConn for football only (would obviously need to fill in money from ESPN). Then split into 3 pods of 6 teams and go to 9 games. That means you play every team in 3 years.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
the next questions is how to configure football with 17 teams..weird number particularly if you keep permanent opponents like the 3 we have today. Off the wall thoughr would be to pickup UConn for football only (would obviously need to fill in money from ESPN). Then split into 3 pods of 6 teams and go to 9 games. That means you play every team in 3 years.
I imagine we're sticking with no divisions/pods, and the two teams with the highest conference win % play for it all. The games against ND (along with the bye weeks) can be used to offset the "odd man out" during conference play.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
At a minimum need to look at permenent crossover opponents. If you stay at 3 the 3 new members would need one additional opponent in addition to each other. Next year's problem heading to the Benz.