Conference Realignment

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If teams go to the SEC it seems like a particularly fun lawsuit bonanza with ESPN potentially being caught in the middle if they paid the SEC instead of the ACC for those games etc etc.

Gonna be a train wreck if any of this is true.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Or, stated another way, three out of the four people who were wrong last spring are back to tell us the same story, but wait, this time there is MORE!
I guess SEC has a second media partner who actually has money now? Lville to B12 makes all the sense in the world. Why wouldn’t they leave the ACC for less money out west?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If FSU breaks out of the GOR and the ACC, would espn have standing to renegotiate the ACC tv contract? If so expect them to lowball it similar to what the PAC10 was offered, or just drop the whole conference and concentrate all their money on the SEC.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Borrowing half a billion dollars or whatever to get out of the ACC and move to the sec/Big 10 in a world where the money for new TV deals might be drying up is a bold move.
listening to the radio today (im in Bonaire GA now), and the guys were ripping the acc media deal for being so long. acting like all new deals will be going up forever even tho the PAC12(8? now) dont have the best and they just signed.

I dont see how FSU could survive paying out how ever much they need to, to leave the ACC.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
ESPN(Pete Thamel) reports that ASU and Utah have formally applied for membership in Big 12. PAC 12 down to 4 teams if these two are approved for membership in Big 12.

Dead conference.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
listening to the radio today (im in Bonaire GA now), and the guys were ripping the acc media deal for being so long. acting like all new deals will be going up forever even tho the PAC12(8? now) dont have the best and they just signed.

I dont see how FSU could survive paying out how ever much they need to, to leave the ACC.
The PAC has no deal, and they’re down to 4 teams.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If FSU breaks out of the GOR and the ACC, would espn have standing to renegotiate the ACC tv contract? If so expect them to lowball it similar to what the PAC10 was offered, or just drop the whole conference and concentrate all their money on the SEC.
You may be onto the whole thing that is really going on, just wondering if the "7" schools that teamed together before are silently behind what FSU is doing, if not behind they're hoping it works out and maybe knew this was the route that would be taken. The whole thing comes tumbling down if FSU leaves IMO, maybe not immediately but in a short time I'm guessing and then it starts a "sort it out period" as to where everybody ends up. I have always felt that folks at the top in ACC schools were working behind the scenes to dissolve the ACC. It has always made sense to me that if all the ACC schools could work out amongst themselves the dissolution of the ACC that was the way to go. Not sure that is what is happening, but I wonder. The way I see it there are a few schools that end up with out a place to go but the majority (10 or 11) or possibly more end up with new conference, probably the big 3 of SEC, BIG 10, BIG 12. I include ND in my speculative numbers because they have to join the ACC if they take FB to a conference, I see them as having a say and being one of 15 at that point. IMO a court would rule that they have a say since their FB position is controlled by their agreement of having to go to the ACC if joining a conference. I'm not a lawyer so don't put your money on my opinion. ;)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I call bull****. There’s somewhat of a tacit agreement that whoever poaches, has to take ALL the Carolina teams. I don’t see that happening.
That guy is full of crap. Last week he tweeted that Clemson and FSU would make their Big10 announcement on Tuesday. Didn't happen. He is now following that up with more outlandish tweets. Eventually he might be correct about something, and then he will say -- look at me, I called that one. But he just ignores all of the thousands of things he gets completely wrong.

slugboy

Staff member
ESPN(Pete Thamel) reports that ASU and Utah have formally applied for membership in Big 12. PAC 12 down to 4 teams if these two are approved for membership in Big 12.

Dead conference.
I can’t like that post.

Funny thing is, if they add two or three teams, they get the other half of the Rose Bowl every year. If they don’t, one of the oldest traditions in college football is gone.

10 years ago, one of the things that someone could say they loved about college football was the tradition. Losing the Big East didn’t matter. Losing the old SWC hurt. This is a brutal blow to what’s left of college football tradition.

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
ESPN will want to protect its investments in the SEC and ACC. I wonder if there’s a possibility of an ACC-SEC merger to counter the continued growth of the B1G and Big 12 and reduce the possibility of key schools defecting to the B1G.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Full share next TV deal

Borrowing against assumed future 2031 tv deal revenues is not as insane as a PE deal to borrow half a bill for FSU but… hmmmmmmmm

Failing to spot an inflection point is a classic way to go bankrupt.

Edit: Rutgers took a similar “borrow big since the future big ten payout is coming full strength” and are still waiting for it to pay off: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2022/11/18/Colleges/Rutgers-Big-Ten-finances.aspx.

Last edited:

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
ESPN will want to protect its investments in the SEC and ACC. I wonder if there’s a possibility of an ACC-SEC merger to counter the continued growth of the B1G and Big 12 and reduce the possibility of key schools defecting to the B1G.
It’s possible. I’ve always thought this was more of an espn/abc/disney vs fox/cbs/nbc than conf vs conf.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You may be onto the whole thing that is really going on, just wondering if the "7" schools that teamed together before are silently behind what FSU is doing, if not behind they're hoping it works out and maybe knew this was the route that would be taken. The whole thing comes tumbling down if FSU leaves IMO, maybe not immediately but in a short time I'm guessing and then it starts a "sort it out period" as to where everybody ends up. I have always felt that folks at the top in ACC schools were working behind the scenes to dissolve the ACC. It has always made sense to me that if all the ACC schools could work out amongst themselves the dissolution of the ACC that was the way to go. Not sure that is what is happening, but I wonder. The way I see it there are a few schools that end up with out a place to go but the majority (10 or 11) or possibly more end up with new conference, probably the big 3 of SEC, BIG 10, BIG 12. I include ND in my speculative numbers because they have to join the ACC if they take FB to a conference, I see them as having a say and being one of 15 at that point. IMO a court would rule that they have a say since their FB position is controlled by their agreement of having to go to the ACC if joining a conference. I'm not a lawyer so don't put your money on my opinion. ;)
So, Notre Dame could say our legal agreement was to join a thriving ACC conference not this withered shell of a thing that pretends to be a conference?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Watching the B1G network right now.

Very interesting.

Their take is that the conference believes in tradition and does not like destabilizing historic conferences. But. The move of snatching up Oregon and Washington came quickly when it became apparent that every conference but them and the SEC is coming unglued.

More to say but, cutting to the chase, their is room for Tech, if the B1G sees the ACC going under and Tech in jeopardy of losing their huge TV market and their tradition being squandered.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So, Notre Dame could say our legal agreement was to join a thriving ACC conference not this withered shell of a thing that pretends to be a conference?
I always thought of anyone could get out it would be ND. Still likely true despite FSUs bluster. ND is a non-factor unless they inexplicably decide they want to be full member.