Conference Realignment

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While we are assuming the B1G is only considering AAU schools for expansion, remember this. Miami is not an AAU school. Neither is FSU. U of Florida is the only AAU member in Florida.

When the SEC was considering FSU long ago, UF essentially vetoed it. Would they still be against having another SEC school in Florida? If I were uga, Auburn and, maybe, Bama I might join UF in opposing the expansion into Florida. What you do not want is more SEC recruiters in your state telling kids this is their best chance to see themselves on Sports Center.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The big ten would likely take us for the Atlanta market and also to help them recruit the south. Hopefully GT, Virginia, UNC and I guess Duke are already talking to them and let Clemson, FSU, Miami and NCSU or VT go to the SEC. And the GOR are then dead
To my thinking this is the best chance to defeat the GOR and buyout. Half the conference bolting at once kills everything and saves the NC legislature $15 million of my tax money.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If I understood it correctly Nebraska was not an AAU member, but was supposed to apply, don't think they are yet AAU member, so I don't know about Miami since they are not. Yet BIG has taken one school non AAU.
I don't understand why SEC takes another SC school when they already have SC, FSU when they already have FL, seems to me they are thinking about it entirely different than BIG, maybe very successful programs as rivalries versus geographical location and TV.

mkemkay

Georgia Tech Fan
If I understood it correctly Nebraska was not an AAU member, but was supposed to apply, don't think they are yet AAU member, so I don't know about Miami since they are not. Yet BIG has taken one school non AAU.
I don't understand why SEC takes another SC school when they already have SC, FSU when they already have FL, seems to me they are thinking about it entirely different than BIG, maybe very successful programs as rivalries versus geographical location and TV.

Nebraska was a member of AAU when they joined the B1G: https://journalstar.com/news/local/education/article_d9eca939-b681-535d-ad1a-a98d9ef3b01e.html

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
While we are assuming the B1G is only considering AAU schools for expansion, remember this. Miami is not an AAU school. Neither is FSU. U of Florida is the only AAU member in Florida.

When the SEC was considering FSU long ago, UF essentially vetoed it. Would they still be against having another SEC school in Florida? If I were uga, Auburn and, maybe, Bama I might join UF in opposing the expansion into Florida. What you do not want is more SEC recruiters in your state telling kids this is their best chance to see themselves on Sports Center.
The whole opposing another school from your state encroaching on your territory likely died when OU and Texas joined the SEC against A&M’s objection.

slugboy

Staff member
The whole opposing another school from your state encroaching on your territory likely died when OU and Texas joined the SEC against A&M’s objection.
Depending on accounting, OU and TX are the top money makers in the NCAA. FSU and Miami have a lot of muscle, but not that much.
I think FSU makes enough to raise the average of either conference. The SEC would probably prefer to have them in conference than in the B1G.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Depending on accounting, OU and TX are the top money makers in the NCAA. FSU and Miami have a lot of muscle, but not that much.
I think FSU makes enough to raise the average of either conference. The SEC would probably prefer to have them in conference than in the B1G.
I agree

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Can you imagine wrecking balls on HBDS? Or, Georgia Military College being a feeder program to UGA, or Coastal Community College of Mississippi being a feeder school to Ole Miss, or UGA having a Engineering Program? Oh wait. Or, not that long ago cFB having free agency and highest bidder mania for players (not to be confused with students). It's gonna be interesting how Stanford ends up in this crap.
I could easily imagine the local county prison having an exchange program with Uga and ole miss. I can also imagine Uga having whatever 3rd tier academic program they want, including their 3rd tier engineering school.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I am actually curious to see how this might eventually filter down to and affect other collegiate sports like basketball where historically the NCAA has controlled things (including the $$$).
Good point, I assume the plan is for super conferences to eventually (maybe sooner than later) form their own March madness and cut out the NCAA, keep the nearly $1B themselves. That’s the one huge pot of money I haven’t seen discussed and it could be a major driver of what happens.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Good point, I assume the plan is for super conferences to eventually (maybe sooner than later) form their own March madness and cut out the NCAA, keep the nearly $1B themselves. That’s the one huge pot of money I haven’t seen discussed and it could be a major driver of what happens.
I don't think March Madness is worth a fraction of that if it's just the B1G and SEC playing in a tournament because they've squeezed everyone else out.

I watch for the upsets and the low seeds to have their one shot. I don't spend three seconds on a random NCAA game between say LSU and Minnesota.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think March Madness is worth a fraction of that if it's just the B1G and SEC playing in a tournament because they've squeezed everyone else out.

I watch for the upsets and the low seeds to have their one shot. I don't spend three seconds on a random NCAA game between say LSU and Minnesota.
Not to mention the major basketball programs that would be thrown away. Sorry Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Baylor, the entire Big East, etc. It would barely resemble a real basketball tournament.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
An article posted by @RamblinRed made an excellent point. For the first time in history, University Presidents will be in charge of not only their universities, but large for-profit corporations (their AA's) whose numbers are exploding exponentially and much faster than the academic side. Like it or not, it is in fact correct that the world has changed and it DOES exist for both reasons now.

It could choose, like the Ivy Leagues, to change the emphasis and turn its back on the money. But the Ivy Leagues are unique on that their academic side have such HUGE endowments they can afford to ignore the money in college sports and turn their noses up at it.
It is a misconception that athletics are booming in money compared to universities as a whole. Texas has been the top revenue athletics department at a little over $200million for a while. That is only about 5% of the budget of the university. Fans see football and think it is a whole lot of money, but when you compare that money to the overall university it is only pocket change.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to mention the major basketball programs that would be thrown away. Sorry Duke, Kansas, Gonzaga, Baylor, the entire Big East, etc. It would barely resemble a real basketball tournament.
Reallocation of the NCAA take, which is almost $1B, opens up all sorts of options for paying lower tier Cinderella story programs to participate if the super conferences want to invite them. Set aside $50-100M for special invitations. That of course assumes these lower programs can keep up as things kick into high gear.

Once you get the top ~50-60 programs, the ones fully committed to spending at a truly professional level, organized into two or maybe three super conferences, you gain a lot of leverage. What keeps them from doing their own March Madness media deal, without the NCAA?

I don’t like this, or claim to know for sure how this works out, but the NCAA has lost a lot of credibility and value. They played the “student athlete” card but lost - completely out of control now with full blown professionalization, NIL, free agency.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It is a misconception that athletics are booming in money compared to universities as a whole. Texas has been the top revenue athletics department at a little over $200million for a while. That is only about 5% of the budget of the university. Fans see football and think it is a whole lot of money, but when you compare that money to the overall university it is only pocket change.
Isn't Government backed student loan debt the size of home mortgage debt.?

I think lots of degrees are not cost effective due to tuition increases.

Anyway this exactly correct
at gt. The hill , research are booming while gtaa is - well struggling $.
I think gt football has great potentiall

Word on Net is

ND is close to joining B10

To keep Clemson in ACC they will get increased .% of TV $ (they have invested more than us)

We have great potentiall so let's hope that we make the cut. Our location/ degree value/ football tradition are big assets.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Isn't Government backed student loan debt the size of home mortgage debt.?

I think lots of degrees are not cost effective due to tuition increases.

Anyway this exactly correct
at gt. The hill , research are booming while gtaa is - well struggling $.
I think gt football has great potentiall

Word on Net is

ND is close to joining B10

To keep Clemson in ACC they will get increased .% of TV $ (they have invested more than us)

We have great potentiall so let's hope that we make the cut. Our location/ degree value/ football tradition are big assets.

Student debt isn't anywhere near mortgage. 16 Trillion in mortgages 1.6 trillion in student load debt. The difference of course being a Mortgage is on an actual asset.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Watching news conference with Ohio State President and AD RE: UCLA, USC deal a point made by the President was the AAU membership by both schools was important and the AD pointed out importance of BIG now in the 3 top media mkts in the country NY, LA, Chicago.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Watching news conference with Ohio State President and AD RE: UCLA, USC deal a point made by the President was the AAU membership by both schools was important and the AD pointed out importance of BIG now in the 3 top media mkts in the country NY, LA, Chicago.
Hmmm 🤔

And the B1G has already grabbed the 4th largest market in Philadelphia with Rutgers and Penn State.

Now they just need to grab numbers 5 & 6, Dallas- SMU and Atlanta- Georgia Tech.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm 🤔

And the B1G has already grabbed the 4th largest market in Philadelphia with Rutgers and Penn State.

Now they just need to grab numbers 5 & 6, Dallas- SMU and Atlanta- Georgia Tech.
They don't care about Dallas and Atlanta watch and see if ND and Oregon don't join before the end of the year. than look for SEC to raid the ACC ( while they sit and their backend thinking they are safe) And Tech will be on the outside looking in and I would guess the Hill will be happy.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm 🤔

Don't believe SMU is AAU school. I'm guessing and I mean guessing if the BIG takes from ACC it will be GT, UNC and maybe UVA. I say maybe with UVA because they already have MD in that DC, Baltimore area. They would probably like to have something in FL like Miami but there's only one AAU school there, U. FL. Don't believe they would be leaving SEC.
I have to believe BIG is interested in Bay Area of CA, 6th largest media mkt, so do they take Cal Berkeley and Stanford? People keep talking about Oregon, but that is not a large mkt, Portland 25th largest, but maybe U. WA possibility, Seattle-Tacoma 14th largest and U. WA is an AAU member. Phoenix 12th largest but ASU not an AAU school. U AZ in Tucson, that's small media mkt. but they are an AAU school. Colorado might be a possibility, they are 17th largest mkt. being in greater Denver area and AAU member.

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Question? If ND goes to the BIG, do they have to abide by the GOR for the sports they participate in with ACC? What is their deal?