Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't completely buy what Brian Kelly is saying for the main reason there are way more players than there are schools in the SEC/Big10. Even over time the Vandys, Northwesterns and Rutgers of the world aren't going to be better than FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami, Louisville. The Bamas and Michigans might separate themselves, but they've kind of done that already. It will be interesting to see how Bama does now that Saban has retired.
Kelly didn’t say this but … yes, there are a lot of players. And there will plenty of South Alabama’s, Buffalo and Charlottes. But they won’t be a factor.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don't completely buy what Brian Kelly is saying for the main reason there are way more players than there are schools in the SEC/Big10. Even over time the Vandys, Northwesterns and Rutgers of the world aren't going to be better than FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami, Louisville. The Bamas and Michigans might separate themselves, but they've kind of done that already. It will be interesting to see how Bama does now that Saban has retired.
The issue now is the next 8 teams. There are several years recently the ACC has had multiple teams in that top 12-15. Now that those count, will those slots be reserved for SEC/B1G teams? You know, the ones with big stadiums, lots of fans, and large budgets.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
The issue now is the next 8 teams. There are several years recently the ACC has had multiple teams in that top 12-15. Now that those count, will those slots be reserved for SEC/B1G teams? You know, the ones with big stadiums, lots of fans, and large budgets.
You better believe they will be finding ways to sneak 0 ACC teams into the top 12-15. They knew there would be hopeless yelling over FSU, but they can do whatever they want with the 12-15r’s.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You better believe they will be finding ways to sneak 0 ACC teams into the top 12-15. They knew there would be hopeless yelling over FSU, but they can do whatever they want with the 12-15r’s.
Well,12-15 DON’T count unless we move to a 16-team format.
With the 5+7 model, it’s very likely that the 5th conf champ is outside of the top 12. If you expect an at large spot, you need to be at least the 11th ranked team. If you get an upset in the B12 or ACC championship, that could also “steal” a bid, making the at large cutoff 10.
To your point, though, I am guessing several B12 and ACC teams find those 12-16 rankings…. :D

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I guess I just understand business better than some and am not as naive as others. Watching the 2 conferences who run the sport add 2 teams coming to their conference into the playoff wasn‘t a random act. These folks are at a caliber of business acumen that us ACC fans can’t even fathom. We couldn’t get in 1 team and they got 4. It’s called planning ahead.

And to believe FSU would have gotten in if not for a series of twilight zone events is just laughable. They do this every year to somebody. This year it was FSU because they knew they would get zero blowback by the ACC. And they were correct. All the ACC did was tweet out a statement.

And how will the ACC get better on the field when our league leaders have allowed us to be relegated? No high end players will sign to ACC teams when they just saw our undefeated champ get left out. The ACC is 2nd tier because we have 2nd tier players and it’s going to get worse. The only way to salvage anything is for the conference to die and start over because the brand is totally destroyed. The SEC has won the war. Just watch the polls next season and you’ll see the manipulatio (which has already started).
Looking at the latest recruiting rankings as a proxy for the 12 best teams, 3 of the top 12 are ACC. Notre Dame adds a 4th. Counting the new teams joining this year, SEC has 6, B1G has 2. Obviously recruiting rankings are an imperfect gauge to predict the playoff teams, but the narrative that the ACC is a second-tier conference in recruiting is simply incorrect.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
More bread crumbs that the B1G (FOX) is the incentive for FSU wanting out if the ACC. FSU ain't getting out of the ACC without giving up a couple of limbs, but it's still entertaining to watch all of this play out

Also signs ESPN will not be opting out of the ACC deal in 2027:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
More bread crumbs that the B1G (FOX) is the incentive for FSU wanting out if the ACC. FSU ain't getting out of the ACC without giving up a couple of limbs, but it's still entertaining to watch all of this play out

Also signs ESPN will not be opting out of the ACC deal in 2027:

What signs did you see that indicates that "ESPN will not be opting out of the ACC deal in 2027"? I only skimmed through the filing, but didn't see anything that indicated that or that even acknowledged that such an option exists.

Something I did find interesting in the filing was: "FSU never disclosed the Agreements nor maintained that they were public records; apparently, not until its commercial dispute with the ACC did FSU contend that it had an obligation to make the Agreements public." The type was copied from the actual filing. What is interesting to me is that they are framing the entire anti-trust, fraud, intimidation, etc as solely a "commercial dispute". I have been shredded in this thread for simply stating the same thing.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Oh, one more thing. That may be what FSU wants to get, but I have pointed out before that FSU releasing privileged information to the public is likely to make Fox leery of doing business with them. The entire episode would probably add pause to the Big10 offering an invitation. Even if they get out, they might burn so many bridges that they have no place to go to.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Suck it fsu
IMG_8563.gif

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Teams will need to be in the top 10 to have a solid chance to make the CFP. One slot will be a G5 team.

The real issue will be the computer systems that rate the B1G and SEC as better Conferences. It will have less to do with human opinions and more to do with biased analytics.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am beginning to believe ESPN's option date will pass before we know anything definitive about FSU's departure. The Leon County court has set no dates for anything. The NC court set a date of March 22 for a hearing on the ACC's request to seal the contents of the ACC's contract with ESPN. I can picture this going into 2025 before any hearings or rulings on the merits of the cases in either court. Remember, both lawsuits are seeking declaratory rulings. None of this is about FSU actually leaving the conference.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am beginning to believe ESPN's option date will pass before we know anything definitive about FSU's departure. The Leon County court has set no dates for anything. The NC court set a date of March 22 for a hearing on the ACC's request to seal the contents of the ACC's contract with ESPN. I can picture this going into 2025 before any hearings or rulings on the merits of the cases in either court. Remember, both lawsuits are seeking declaratory rulings. None of this is about FSU actually leaving the conference.
A lawyer yesterday said the cases for venue won't even get to calendar before June. Then ... expect a ruling in August just on venue, which will be appealed and that takes you to December, min. The actual case itself may take 2-3 years.

His point, and its a good one, was if the ACC feels its existence is threatened by FSU's departure (because of downstream effects), it will fight to the death to prevent it. No quarter will be given to FSU.

FSU is making itself (by its tactics) and the ACC look like wounded animals. No one will touch either for several years. And in the end ... FSU may STILL be in the ACC. Yikes.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow

As I've said, FSU isn't going anywhere for a long long time.
Even so, there are no winners in this very public mess. IMO the biggest loser will wind up being FSU, but the ACC's image is not being enhanced.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As I've said, FSU isn't going anywhere for a long long time.
Even so, there are no winners in this very public mess. IMO the biggest loser will wind up being FSU, but the ACC's image is not being enhanced.

This is an interesting look. Here's the 2023 media viewership:

Atlantic Coast Conference
Florida State 4.16, Clemson 2.90, Miami 2.65, Duke 2.63, Louisville 2.37, North Carolina 1.93, Georgia Tech 1.83, Boston College 1.48, Pitt 1.37, Syracuse 1.20, NC State 1.13, Virginia Tech 1.02.

Southeastern Conference
Alabama 7.12, Georgia 5.90, Tennessee 4.57, LSU 3.79, Auburn 3.55, Missouri 3.25, Florida 3.17, Ole Miss 2.93, Texas A&M 2.74, South Carolina 2.69, Vanderbilt 2.46, Kentucky 2.07, Mississippi State 2.01, Arkansas 1.93.

Big 12
Texas 4.26, Oklahoma 2.61, Oklahoma State 1.96, TCU 1.70, Kansas 1.48, West Virginia 1.45, Iowa State 1.37, BYU 1.31, Kansas State 1.30, Texas Tech 1.30, Baylor 1.09.

Big Ten
Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14.

Pac-12
Colorado 6.00, Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77, Utah 2.61, Oregon State 2.44, Washington State 2.15, UCLA 1.67, Stanford 1.64, Arizona 1.30, Arizona State 1.20, Cal 1.08.

The SEC has 48.18 million viewers per year (2023) vs. 24.67 for the ACC. This, along with subscriber fees, is what college football is all about: Programming content.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting look. Here's the 2023 media viewership:

Atlantic Coast Conference
Florida State 4.16, Clemson 2.90, Miami 2.65, Duke 2.63, Louisville 2.37, North Carolina 1.93, Georgia Tech 1.83, Boston College 1.48, Pitt 1.37, Syracuse 1.20, NC State 1.13, Virginia Tech 1.02.

Southeastern Conference
Alabama 7.12, Georgia 5.90, Tennessee 4.57, LSU 3.79, Auburn 3.55, Missouri 3.25, Florida 3.17, Ole Miss 2.93, Texas A&M 2.74, South Carolina 2.69, Vanderbilt 2.46, Kentucky 2.07, Mississippi State 2.01, Arkansas 1.93.

Big 12
Texas 4.26, Oklahoma 2.61, Oklahoma State 1.96, TCU 1.70, Kansas 1.48, West Virginia 1.45, Iowa State 1.37, BYU 1.31, Kansas State 1.30, Texas Tech 1.30, Baylor 1.09.

Big Ten
Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14.

Pac-12
Colorado 6.00, Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77, Utah 2.61, Oregon State 2.44, Washington State 2.15, UCLA 1.67, Stanford 1.64, Arizona 1.30, Arizona State 1.20, Cal 1.08.

The SEC has 48.18 million viewers per year (2023) vs. 24.67 for the ACC. This, along with subscriber fees, is what college football is all about: Programming content.
No, I’m sorry, it is not what CFB is all about. It is what sEcSPN and the elite have made it all about.
Notice that 7 of the ACC, 9 of the Big 12, 6 of the Big Ten, and 5 of the PAC 12 are between 1-2 million viewers. That’s 27 of the 47 programs - well over 50%. Add in the 5 more that are between 2-2.5 and that’s 32 of 47 programs - over 60%.
This is about the so-called blue-bloods in cahoots with sEcSPN to hijack CFB and force the rest to play the game their way.
I feel a split is inevitable, and it won’t come too soon, IMPO.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow

My only caveat to that would be, this is what "bigtime" college football is about. There is a lot of CFB that is not about that. FCS football is not about tv viewership. DII & DIII are not about tv viewership. As someone who loves college football I have many levels to enjoy, and each one has its merits.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No, I’m sorry, it is not what CFB is all about. It is what sEcSPN and the elite have made it all about.
Notice that 7 of the ACC, 9 of the Big 12, 6 of the Big Ten, and 5 of the PAC 12 are between 1-2 million viewers. That’s 27 of the 47 programs - well over 50%. Add in the 5 more that are between 2-2.5 and that’s 32 of 47 programs - over 60%.
This is about the so-called blue-bloods in cahoots with sEcSPN to hijack CFB and force the rest to play the game their way.
I feel a split is inevitable, and it won’t come too soon, IMPO.
It is EXACTLY what college football is about today. The minimum interest level is 4m viewers.