Conference Realignment

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think the ACC is hoping the SEC and B1G fill up on other conferences, then they would be free to add teams and end up as the third super conference with the big12/pac cannibalizing the other leftovers, leaving 4 “super” conferences, and the loser of those two being defunct.
If that is the plan we are dead. Waiting is a dumb idea

CEB

Helluva Engineer
B1G is in process of renegotiating their deal.
SEC grant of rights expires 2035
ACC grant of rights expires 2036
I look for B1G to align their term so those three conferences are in play. I would be shocked if they didn’t. Clearly the intent would be a battle between B1G and SEC to plunder the ACC.
Pac is getting ready to renegotiate their deal too. Do they feel confident enough that they can retain members and maybe grab more or do they suspect they’ll lose additional members? Their term will be interesting to watch. If they align with the 35-36 timing, all hell could break loose.
The two or three years leading up to that could be fun!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
This is between ESPN (Sec) and FOX (BIG10). Will the BIGXII and ACC merge with PAC12 leftovers and form a CBS or NBC (esp if ND goes BIG10) sponsored conference?

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem regarding ACC expansion is that most schools will not view it as an upgrade worth pursuing. I could see West VA and Cincy, but I have a hard time thinking of another school that would want to join us if expansion continues. The other Big 12 schools are closer in footprint to remnant schools of the PAC like Arizona, Ariz St., and Utah. Perhaps as TooTall mentioned, a merger is needed to survive.

I saw on one forum (if it was here, I apologize for repeating) that if the ND to the Big 10 domino falls, it may open the door for ACC schools to argue that the media/tv deal is null and void due to the change in scheduling. If that is the case, Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC, and VT are free to do as they please if the mega conferences come knocking.

A lot of people are knocking the "nerd conference" idea. Whether we like it or not, Tech is going to have a hard time trading up if the ACC fails. Our traditional ACC rivals either don't consider us a primary rival (VT, Duke) or don't need us to sweeten their deal with another conference (Clemson). We need to hope the ACC stays in place and expands, otherwise we lose the opportunity to improve our lot.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem regarding ACC expansion is that most schools will not view it as an upgrade worth pursuing. I could see West VA and Cincy, but I have a hard time thinking of another school that would want to join us if expansion continues. The other Big 12 schools are closer in footprint to remnant schools of the PAC like Arizona, Ariz St., and Utah. Perhaps as TooTall mentioned, a merger is needed to survive.

I saw on one forum (if it was here, I apologize for repeating) that if the ND to the Big 10 domino falls, it may open the door for ACC schools to argue that the media/tv deal is null and void due to the change in scheduling. If that is the case, Clemson, Miami, FSU, UNC, and VT are free to do as they please if the mega conferences come knocking.

A lot of people are knocking the "nerd conference" idea. Whether we like it or not, Tech is going to have a hard time trading up if the ACC fails. Our traditional ACC rivals either don't consider us a primary rival (VT, Duke) or don't need us to sweeten their deal with another conference (Clemson). We need to hope the ACC stays in place and expands, otherwise we lose the opportunity to improve our lot.
I forgot to add that, if the ACC expands, it opens Pandora's box as well. So either we expand with our blue bloods on board, or we expand, lose the blue bloods, and become another Big XII

slugboy

Staff member
And, the stiff arm (for now)

College Football GIF by Turner Classic Movies

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I forgot to add that, if the ACC expands, it opens Pandora's box as well. So either we expand with our blue bloods on board, or we expand, lose the blue bloods, and become another Big XII
My question is... who do we get? Who moves the needle for the ACC? I don’t think there’s an add that saves our current membership.

We’re in a unique position of actually having teams in really major media markets without much of said market being interested in said team! If the B1G model is still market forward in its approach, Miami, GT, UNC, Cuse and UVA would seem to “fit” in a lot of ways. Oddly, I think Miami and GT could be the most attractive, as there would be no package deal pressure and it plants B1G flags in two huge southern markets. Does that move the needle for them? Who knows... The other interesting angle... GT and Miami would be a couple of teams with some significance for ND.

I see FSU and Clem SEC bound, and I can’t see the SEC being interested in much of anyone else from the ACC.

The leftovers?
Most Likely: Lville,WF, BC
Likely: Pitt, GT, Cuse, VT, Duke, NCST
Toss up: Miami, UNC, UVA
FSU and Clem to the SEC just seems natural but I don’t know who else is likely.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There was a brief window, probably open for about 30 seconds, where a top notch wheeler dealer could have negotiated Notre Dame, Penn State and one other team into the ACC. Don’t scoff.

My point is that window not only closed fast, it closed permanently. I clung to hope for the longest time that the ACC could build up a strong brand and stay competitive in TV negotiations. I have lost all hope of that now and only see the ACC spiraling down.

Used to think other sports besides football could still give the ACC some cache but the heavy weight conferences have figured out that the football revenue stream is the fastest path to being competitive in all other sports. And the ACC will eventually be passed by in all other sports.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately academics are some peoples’ crutch, lifeline, hill to die on. Whatever you wanna call it.

I agree though. “Academic conference” has to be the neediest Tech thing I’ve heard of lol
Bucknell was a power football team in the 40's . I have relative that just got me and grad me degree . Great school but play football in Patriot league..

When espn refuses to honor our acc contract due to xxx, we can sue them.
They will stop paying us and we can all poney up for lawyers who fight their lawyers who file continuances till we settle.

If we can't get into the super conference - no one will want to pay to watch the development league - so stick a fork in it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
From the outside looking in, looks like there will be three strong conferences when the dust settles with the ACC being third. If we could lock up ND, I’d be fine with that. And i can’t imagine FSU, Clemson, or anyone else jumping out of a small pond to get eaten in the big pond.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Bucknell was a power football team in the 40's . I have relative that just got me and grad me degree . Great school but play football in Patriot league..

When espn refuses to honor our acc contract due to xxx, we can sue them.
They will stop paying us and we can all poney up for lawyers who fight their lawyers who file continuances till we settle.

If we can't get into the super conference - no one will want to pay to watch the development league - so stick a fork in it.
And a lot of players will not want to play in the development league. I would imagine NIL money in the development league would be next to nil.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
From the outside looking in, looks like there will be three strong conferences when the dust settles with the ACC being third. If we could lock up ND, I’d be fine with that. And i can’t imagine FSU, Clemson, or anyone else jumping out of a small pond to get eaten in the big pond.
Eggsackley. There's no reason in creation for Clemson or FSU (provided that they can actually get their program sorted out) to leave the ACC. Oth, ND will, I think, stay with the ACC. They won't change their stripes in the middle of a coaching change. (That is if they have any sense.) Why split tv revenues and USC, Stanford, and OSU aren't going to ditch them over some jive reshuffling.

But that means that the ACC remains third! Oh, weeping, wailful woe!! Well, yes, but so what? I don't think that's changeable or anything to get upset about. Tech will be fine too, again once we get our program sorted out <cough> Mullen <cough>.

But it remains to be seen how well an SEC or Big 10 with USC and UCLA in them works out. One game a year in the mid-west might be ok, but 6 or 7? And who, pray, on either coasts is going to turn in a Rutgers v USC match? Besides the gamblers, of course.

But all this is speculation right now.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I will state upfront I do not know the contractual agreement..if any.. between the ncaa and FBS football. I also don't know the rules of how many schools need to agree to a rules change.

But what if the NCAA proposed a 16 team FBS playoff. They have championships in almost every other sport including football below the fbs. Teams that signon for this would have access to all NCAA championships...read all sports including football. Teams that don't signon would be excluded from all NCAA championships.

I am betting most Teams outside of the B10 and SEC would consider this. Outside of football, there are many more schools involved with other sports.

Why would the NCAA take the risk of losing access to 40 schools? To get a share of the biggest revenue pool...football. Why would other teams consider giving up some control to the NCAA? Fighting off the big 2.

I think something dramatic has to happen to keep 2 conferences from taking over football.