Conference Realignment

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
Just don’t dig any deeper than this graphic… it’s mainly just Stanford and Cal. Those two contributed over half of the ACC medal count and zero of those athletes competed in the ACC when in school.
Last I checked Stanford and Cal are in the ACC. The graphic seems to be 100% correct.

Leave the deep digging for the other side, never dig deep against yourself. This is the lesson the fans of the other conferences have learned. For some reason, we can't seem to learn it.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Big12 negotiated? They negotiated 1 year after the two teams had announced that they were already leaving. They negotiated that 1 year to allow them to expand the conference before the new media deal in order to have more strength in negotiations. It isn't in any way comparable to the ACC's situation.

I think the GOR could potentially be negotiated further in the future, maybe around 2030 when the Big10 contract expires, or in 2034 when the SEC contract expires. I think there is an even larger chance that college football is completely different by that time, and conference realignment isn't even a concern any more.

I read a few people who were at the ACC football media days event. I wasn't there and didn't see any of this for myself, but according to them, all of the parties, including the FSU people, are resolved to the fact that this is going to be a very slow drawn out process in court. Something could happen, but I think it will take years for this to make it's way through court proceedings, if it does remain in the courts.
This. I sincerely hope this happens for no other reason than the personal satisfaction of watching clown U and Clemp getting hosed by ACC refs in all sporting events for multiple years.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
This. I sincerely hope this happens for no other reason than the personal satisfaction of watching clown U and Clemp getting hosed by ACC refs in all sporting events for multiple years.
I look at it very differently and admittedly it's just my own selfish desires, but I want FSU and Clemson to be as good as possible - win as many games as possible - to help raise the perception of the ACC. I don't give two sharts about either team, but for our own benefit, I want to see Clemmie beat the dwags. I want to see FSU rebound after we beat them in Dublin ;), but only because it helps the ACC, which will ultimately help us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I look at it very differently and admittedly it's just my own selfish desires, but I want FSU and Clemson to be as good as possible - win as many games as possible - to help raise the perception of the ACC. I don't give two sharts about either team, but for our own benefit, I want to see Clemmie beat the dwags. I want to see FSU rebound after we beat them in Dublin ;), but only because it helps the ACC, which will ultimately help us.
1000%. The SEC wants every one of their teams to do well and they use that for their narrative. The ACC has to quit eating its own. I think Clemson and FSU are put out with the conference for not defending their own.

Anyway your main point is the point. It helps Tech. Tech could go undefeated but, as we saw last year, if the conference is perceived as weak we might not even make the playoffs.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
Absolutely, I want ALL ACC teams to win interconference, no question. I'm talking intraconference.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
1000%. The SEC wants every one of their teams to do well and they use that for their narrative. The ACC has to quit eating its own. I think Clemson and FSU are put out with the conference for not defending their own.

Anyway your main point is the point. It helps Tech. Tech could go undefeated but, as we saw last year, if the conference is perceived as weak we might not even make the playoffs.
Well at least in a 12-team playoff, the ACC champ will get in. Not sure if the ACC gets a sniff at a second playoff team.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think he's referring to a second team getting in. It's going to be difficult for the ACC to get two teams in the playoffs most years.

i could see us gettign 2 in in the event of 3 1 loss teams going into the final week of the season. The 2 loss loser of the ACC champ would be out but the other 1 loss team (especially without a head to head with the acc champion) Might get in at large. Especially if that was someone like us with a win over UGA or Stanford having an excellent year with wins over ND and maybe USC.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
See, this is where things get fuzzy for me.

If Florida or Arkansas suddenly has a killer year, beats Georgia and Alabama with a stellar record in conference play, it's seen as "the SEC is on the rise." But if Georgia Tech or NC State has a helluva year, beating Clemson and FSU and having a stellar record in conference play, the ACC is seen as "weak."

We saw this consistently with the Coastal division - there was talk from all the talking heads and message board pundits of Coastal Chaos (which was a real thing), and that the Atlantic division was the stronger division because it had Clemson and FSU in it. Meanwhile in the Coastal, anything could happen on any given Saturday, because the teams had parity. And in out of conference play, IIRC the Coastal frequently did better than the Atlantic.

But it was the "weaker" side, because it was more balanced.

I guess this is just a rant about the media bias that continues, and will likely never go away. The same scenario playing out in 2 separate conferences will result in one argument for one conference, and the complete opposite for another conference - all because someone at ESPN decided years ago that one conference is weak and the other is strong.

So based on that, I don't care if FSU or Clemson are as good as possible. I of course want to see Clemson beat uGA (they're my 2nd favorite team that week), and always want to see the ACC do well in OOC play. But for both of them - particularly FSU, after the shenanigans they pulled this year - I'm fine if they drop a goose egg in conference wins.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
See, this is where things get fuzzy for me.

If Florida or Arkansas suddenly has a killer year, beats Georgia and Alabama with a stellar record in conference play, it's seen as "the SEC is on the rise." But if Georgia Tech or NC State has a helluva year, beating Clemson and FSU and having a stellar record in conference play, the ACC is seen as "weak."

We saw this consistently with the Coastal division - there was talk from all the talking heads and message board pundits of Coastal Chaos (which was a real thing), and that the Atlantic division was the stronger division because it had Clemson and FSU in it. Meanwhile in the Coastal, anything could happen on any given Saturday, because the teams had parity. And in out of conference play, IIRC the Coastal frequently did better than the Atlantic.

But it was the "weaker" side, because it was more balanced.

I guess this is just a rant about the media bias that continues, and will likely never go away. The same scenario playing out in 2 separate conferences will result in one argument for one conference, and the complete opposite for another conference - all because someone at ESPN decided years ago that one conference is weak and the other is strong.

So based on that, I don't care if FSU or Clemson are as good as possible. I of course want to see Clemson beat uGA (they're my 2nd favorite team that week), and always want to see the ACC do well in OOC play. But for both of them - particularly FSU, after the shenanigans they pulled this year - I'm fine if they drop a goose egg in conference wins.
TG, if the media weren't biased, they wouldn't be alive.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I guess this is just a rant about the media bias that continues, and will likely never go away.
It will never go away. The best description of SEC bias is the preseason ranking. This year, there are 9 teams in the top 25. In a few weeks, 7 or 8 of these teams will start their season 3-0 and be ranked in the Top 15.

Now, once SEC conference games get underway, these become “ranked matchups” and will be advertised as marquee games in which the winner gets a huge ranked win, and the loser doesn’t see a huge drop since it was an acceptable loss.

The result? The SEC will always be able to keep multiple teams in the Top 20, and ‘upsets’ will show the league’s depth. This creates the narrative that everyone hates. And that affects how everyone views the game.

If you want to change the bias, you have to change the preseason rankings AND how the first games are scheduled. Both of which will never happen.

Look at the ACC. Multiple conference games occur early, guaranteeing an early exit from the top 20.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It will never go away. The best description of SEC bias is the preseason ranking. This year, there are 9 teams in the top 25. In a few weeks, 7 or 8 of these teams will start their season 3-0 and be ranked in the Top 15.

Now, once SEC conference games get underway, these become “ranked matchups” and will be advertised as marquee games in which the winner gets a huge ranked win, and the loser doesn’t see a huge drop since it was an acceptable loss.

The result? The SEC will always be able to keep multiple teams in the Top 20, and ‘upsets’ will show the league’s depth. This creates the narrative that everyone hates. And that affects how everyone views the game.

If you want to change the bias, you have to change the preseason rankings AND how the first games are scheduled. Both of which will never happen.

Look at the ACC. Multiple conference games occur early, guaranteeing an early exit from the top 20.
That has been going on for a very long time. It isn't even the ranked teams that drive the SEC narrative. In 2008, WF beat Mississippi and the ACC win was downplayed as a non-event since Mississippi was a bottom barrel SEC team. Mississippi then beat #4 UF a few weeks later. The SEC was praised as having such "depth" that any team could beat any team in any given week. Mississippi ended the year ranked #15. WF never really got credit for beating and SEC team or for beating the #15 team in the country. Mississippi was a nobody team when they looked bad for the SEC, and they were described as a top of any other conference team when they looked good for the SEC.

In general, there is nothing objective about sports journalism, or discussion about sports. Fans and journalists will minimize losses when describing their team, but will say wins are all that matters when they win.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
You should educate yourself. Three SEC schools were interested but Tech brought 12,000 fans to the last game and … will earn a very handsome payout.

Any indication of what our payout to travel there might be? If it's been posted here I missed it.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Feel the need to post that I have been absolutely wrong about the collapse of the ACC, back earlier in the year I said we would know by season beginning the direction the imploding ACC would take, probably not where every school would end up but some idea of what was going to happen. Well the season is here and everything is pretty much where it was back then and not much indication of any change in that. Although I have not been keeping up with realignmeny like I was, so maybe there is a little more going on than I know about but obviously nothing substantial or even I would know about it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Feel the need to post that I have been absolutely wrong about the collapse of the ACC, back earlier in the year I said we would know by season beginning the direction the imploding ACC would take, probably not where every school would end up but some idea of what was going to happen. Well the season is here and everything is pretty much where it was back then and not much indication of any change in that. Although I have not been keeping up with realignmeny like I was, so maybe there is a little more going on than I know about but obviously nothing substantial or even I would know about it.
It's up to the courts now and they tend to move at a snail's pace. Much respect for coming on here and admitting you had the wrong take on this.