Conference Realignment

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I think we (ACC) should be open to settling the issue. You (fSu and Clempson) pay us $ 722,500,000.00 each, and that settles it. You are free to leave the minute the check clears...and I don't care if the door hits ya in the a$$ on the way out.
The only way to do that is to vote to break the GOR. Once you let the magic smoke out, it doesn't work anymore. There is zero chance the GOR will be broken before 2036. Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College, Stanford, Cal, SMU, etc. will never vote to break the GOR contract (requires a unanimous vote). The only way it happens is if the ACC dissolves. That does not require a unanimous vote.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
The only way to do that is to vote to break the GOR. Once you let the magic smoke out, it doesn't work anymore. There is zero chance the GOR will be broken before 2036. Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College, Stanford, Cal, SMU, etc. will never vote to break the GOR contract (requires a unanimous vote). The only way it happens is if the ACC dissolves. That does not require a unanimous vote.
The post was TIC. The amount was well beyond what they currently would be obligated to pay and we'll beyond what they could pay. I dont think either could write a 3/4 Billion dollar check. I said nothing about breaking the GOR . Poorly worded, my apologies. Im in agreement we don't budge an inch.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Since we agree there is a chance in court our GOR could be found invalid and since we all agree if found invalid that would be disastorus, NOT NOW BUT AT SOME POINT reaching a SEALED AND CONFIDENTIAL settlement to move on .

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Since we agree there is a chance in court our GOR could be found invalid and since we all agree if found invalid that would be disastorus, NOT NOW BUT AT SOME POINT reaching a SEALED AND CONFIDENTIAL settlement to move on .
Doing so is an acknowledgement that the GOR isn't iron clad. If you agree to a price for FSU to leave now based on 12 years of GOR, then Clemson can use that price in a lawsuit in 2 years and convince the court that the price has already been set. In 4 years, UNC or GT can make the same argument. Like my dike analogy, the only way to keep the GOR enforceable is to defend the way it was written and agreed to.

sonngy

Georgia Tech Fan
Just want to point out that if the GOR is found to be unenforceable for whatever reason, it would also lead to lower payouts in the next round of contract negotiations for non-P2 conferences like B12 and the ACC. If you think about it, the GOR is the only guarantee ESPN has that what they’re paying for will keep its value throughout the lifetime of the contract. If there is no GOR, top ACC/B12 brands could be poached by the SEC/B1G a year or 2 into a new ESPN contract and ESPN would then be screwed because they would be paying over market for however long the next contract would be. I think this is why all conferences, including even ESPN, absolutely don’t want the GOR to be found unenforceable. It’s a lose lose for everyone in the long run

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
The post was TIC. The amount was well beyond what they currently would be obligated to pay and we'll beyond what they could pay. I dont think either could write a 3/4 Billion dollar check. I said nothing about breaking the GOR . Poorly worded, my apologies. Im in agreement we don't budge an inch.
Sorry, I fully understood you were pointing out the gross idiocy of the situation. I should have used emojis.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
A settlement is effectively invalidating the contract.

The real question is whether or not the contract is actually valid and therefore enforceable.

If it is a valid contract, then the value to all members is to confirm the fact and get a court decision.

If the contract is not valid, then it is going to die anyway, and a settlement is just the first step in that process.

And a settlement establishes precedent that the members can attack the vulnerable contract to better their own situation at the expense of the other members. That is not a good faith partnership.

If the contract is defensible, then it is better to go to mattresses to do just that. A settlement just weakens the contract.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you fell for the ol' "Duck Season - Wabbit season" ploy.
soapbox-080121

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, i tried to get this thread humming to 1000 but i only got 5 guys saying GOR is iron clad in all ways, but maybe not, but must never negotiate at all, but yea the big 12 did, but damn fsu for wanting more money!

Back to football spéculation.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, i tried to get this thread humming to 1000 but i only got 5 guys saying GOR is iron clad in all ways, but maybe not, but must never negotiate at all, but yea the big 12 did, but damn fsu for wanting more money!

Back to football speculation.
Big12 negotiated? They negotiated 1 year after the two teams had announced that they were already leaving. They negotiated that 1 year to allow them to expand the conference before the new media deal in order to have more strength in negotiations. It isn't in any way comparable to the ACC's situation.

I think the GOR could potentially be negotiated further in the future, maybe around 2030 when the Big10 contract expires, or in 2034 when the SEC contract expires. I think there is an even larger chance that college football is completely different by that time, and conference realignment isn't even a concern any more.

I read a few people who were at the ACC football media days event. I wasn't there and didn't see any of this for myself, but according to them, all of the parties, including the FSU people, are resolved to the fact that this is going to be a very slow drawn out process in court. Something could happen, but I think it will take years for this to make it's way through court proceedings, if it does remain in the courts.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Seeing this graphic, reminded me that Notre Dame is bi-curious between the ACC and themselves as a conference, depending on the sport.

Could that bleed over into some other college conjoining one or more conferences, depending on the sport?
Um… English please…. 😵‍💫

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Seeing this graphic, reminded me that Notre Dame is bi-curious between the ACC and themselves as a conference, depending on the sport.

Could that bleed over into some other college conjoining one or more conferences, depending on the sport?
Notre Dame is unique.

Typed a few other teams and conference scenarios in but took it back.

Notre Dame is unique.