Conference Realignment

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s a teachable moment for us all. We wonder why the media does what it does, making stuff up and creative journalism. We do that here and none of us live by generating content here. Yet we do it. Journalists live in this stuff 24/7/365. It’s no wonder they do what they do.
There is sports journalism—it’s what Chad Dollar does for the AJC. He needs sources and confirmation. You can tell a journalist because they aren’t throwing things against the wall—their writing is more methodical

About half of the AJC sports page is opinion pieces by columnists. What Bradley and Cunningham do isn’t journalism.

YouTube has virtually no editorial standards. Basically, unless it’s so bad that lawyers are getting involved, any clickbait content can go there. Unless you find a rare source that cites their sources, assume that it’s garbage. It’s not journalism there.

SI is 99.99% clickbait and rewriting of other people’s content.

If you want sports journalism, go to a source that pays both editors and beat writers, like the Athletic or the AJC (and read the reporters and ignore the columnists). Subscriptions fund real quality journalism. It’s not fair to people doing quality work to spend time on the bad sources and paint the responsible sources as if they’re the same.

Agree but with one small correction. Contrary to popular belief, ESPN did not DIRECTLY choose the playoff teams. There is a CFP committee made up of a bunch of different people. Check out their Bios. These are upstanding people. Now you can make the argument they were heavily influenced by ESPN propaganda, but I think that's selling these people short. All of them are accomplished, educated and presumably intelligent people.

FIFY.

It was clear that there was a lot of pressure on the CFP committee to pick the “right” teams, and publicly that pressure was on the airwaves from ESPN for weeks.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There is sports journalism—it’s what Chad Dollar does for the AJC. He needs sources and confirmation. You can tell a journalist because they aren’t throwing things against the wall—their writing is more methodical

About half of the AJC sports page is opinion pieces by columnists. What Bradley and Cunningham do isn’t journalism.

YouTube has virtually no editorial standards. Basically, unless it’s so bad that lawyers are getting involved, any clickbait content can go there. Unless you find a rare source that cites their sources, assume that it’s garbage. It’s not journalism there.

If you want sports journalism, go to a source that pays both editors and beat writers, like the Athletic or the AJC (and read the reporters and ignore the columnists). Subscriptions fund real quality journalism. It’s not fair to people doing quality work to spend time on the bad sources and paint the responsible sources as if they’re the same.

FIFY.

It was clear that there was a lot of pressure on the CFP committee to pick the “right” teams, and publicly that pressure was on the airwaves from ESPN for weeks.
Well said. Totally agree. We get what we pay for. True journalists who are doing good research require payment for such. Some, however, in the case of the AJC are opinion "journalists" and still charge for it. Not paying for that. If they want to toss it out there amongst all the other opinions, I might take a look at it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agree but with one small correction. Contrary to popular belief, ESPN did not choose the playoff teams. There is a CFP committee made up of a bunch of different people. Check out their Bios. Now you can make the argument they were heavily influenced by ESPN propaganda, but I think that's selling these people short. All of them are accomplished, educated and presumably intelligent, upstanding people.

sEcSPN exerted open pressure, as slug also typed, on the CFP to do the right thing. It should have been clear heading into the CCGs that F$U wasn't getting a playoff slot.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

FIFY.

What is killing good journalism is the change in how they are compensated. Instead of building up a good reputation over time, while drawing a salary at a reputable media outlet, they are now incented based on how many clicks. The more outrageous or off-the-wall their content, the more they get paid. Same thing with news media in general. And it’s a shame.

Rant over.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What is killing good journalism is the change in how they are compensated. Instead of building up a good reputation over time, while drawing a salary at a reputable media outlet, they are now incented based on how many clicks. The more outrageous or off-the-wall their content, the more they get paid. Same thing with news media in general. And it’s a shame.

Rant over.
Is this something you know from 1st hand knowledge? Do you have a source for this that you can share? I worked for the AJC years ago and have a ton of respect for the journalists who work there. I have a friend who currently works at the AP. If any of those people are getting paid based on clicks, they have kept it secret.

If I understood him, KQ said his pay is based on the subscribers. If he were getting paid based on clicks I think he would be posting stuff where non-subs could see it.

I would like for your rant to include the basis for that alarming statement.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Is this something you know from 1st hand knowledge? Do you have a source for this that you can share? I worked for the AJC years ago and have a ton of respect for the journalists who work there. I have a friend who currently works at the AP. If any of those people are getting paid based on clicks, they have kept it secret.

If I understood him, KQ said his pay is based on the subscribers. If he were getting paid based on clicks I think he would be posting stuff where non-subs could see it.

I would like for your rant to include the basis for that alarming statement.
Oops, I didn't intend for it to sound like the same journalists who work at the AJC are now getting paid by the click. I was generalizing about the state of the profession, and my comments were directed more to the rise of the random YouTubers/Tweeters/clickbait becoming prevalent in media and sucking revenue from traditional journalists and reporters.

Everyone wants free content now, and you get what you pay for as @stinger78 said.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Oops, I didn't intend for it to sound like the same journalists who work at the AJC are now getting paid by the click. I was generalizing about the state of the profession, and my comments were directed more to the rise of the random YouTubers/Tweeters/clickbait becoming prevalent in media and sucking revenue from traditional journalists and reporters.

Everyone wants free content now, and you get what you pay for as @stinger78 said.
I agree with both of you.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Agree but with one small correction. Contrary to popular belief, ESPN did not choose the playoff teams. There is a CFP committee made up of a bunch of different people. Check out their Bios. Now you can make the argument they were heavily influenced by ESPN propaganda, but I think that's selling these people short. All of them are accomplished, educated and presumably intelligent, upstanding people.

To assume that there was not a significant amount of pressure to include an SEC team in the 4-team playoff is to be ignoring the reality that is now CFB

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
There is sports journalism—it’s what Chad Bishop does for the AJC. He needs sources and confirmation. You can tell a journalist because they aren’t throwing things against the wall—their writing is more methodical

FIFY.

Let me fix that for you.

Chad Dollar does a lot of things, but journalism isn't one of them, to my knowledge.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Off the current subject somewhat but probably relevant to realignment due to how much the cost of doing business in the Power 4 will cost soon. See the article below concerning the new NCAA scholarship limits. I have always believed that lower football scholarship limits favored the more academically oriented schools like GT. Lower limits prevent the more football-oriented schools from stockpiling the 4-star and 5-star players. Since we will also be paying them, this could make it tough financially for GT. New limit will be 105 for Football.

I know most of our members are well aware of the higher cost due to the House settlement, but I thought this article was interesting concerning the new Scholarship limits.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
The transfer portal will balance out that some I think to make it hard to stockpile even more 4- and 5- star players who think they should be starting sooner.

Lower divisions might be hit the hardest? Players transferring up as soon as possible to try to get their big break?

I think possibly the GTs of the world could be improved - if you take on more 3-stars, the total number of diamonds in the rough you find should increase? The starters at Bama might still be the starters at Bama, but are the starters at GT now a bit better if there’s more competition amongst a larger group?

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
To assume that there was not a significant amount of pressure to include an SEC team in the 4-team playoff is to be ignoring the reality that is now CFB
I'm sure there was a lot of pressure. I'm just curious how many people on this board would have caved. If you don't think you would have caved, why do you think others would have caved? If you think you would have caved, I’m not sure why you have such a problem with how things turned out.

ETA: Lastly, I think the pressure was most likely coming from Sankey (and Saban and Smart) versus ESPN. ESPN has a contract with both the ACC and the SEC. I don’t think they care quite as much as some think if it was an ACC team or an SEC team in the playoffs.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure there was a lot of pressure. I'm just curious how many people on this board would have caved. If you don't think you would have caved, why do you think others would have caved? If you think you would have caved, I’m not sure why you have such a problem with how things turned out.

ETA: Lastly, I think the pressure was most likely coming from Sankey (and Saban and Smart) versus ESPN. ESPN has a contract with both the ACC and the SEC. I don’t think they care quite as much as some think if it was an ACC team or an SEC team in the playoffs.
Your last statement strikes me as rather naive. sEcSPN pimps the SECheat nonstop - far more than the ACC. I think it’s rather obvious that there is no equivalency there.

slugboy

Staff member
Let me fix that for you.

Chad Dollar does a lot of things, but journalism isn't one of them, to my knowledge.
Doh

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Your last statement strikes me as rather naive. sEcSPN pimps the SECheat nonstop - far more than the ACC. I think it’s rather obvious that there is no equivalency there.
The on-air talent pimps the SEC, but i think that's playing to the audience more than anything. Sanky has a ton of power and he does an extremely good job managing and leveraging the SEC. I think it was more likely his influence/persuasion than ESPNs.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think if you asked anyone in the US which conference is superior in football – the SEC or ACC, everyone not affiliated with the ACC will say the SEC. You won’t have any SEC fans saying the ACC is better, but you will have some ACC fans reluctantly acknowledging the SEC is better. The on-air talent at ESPN is no different. The SEC is the big brother and the ACC is the little brother, but I think ESPN (the company) is like the parents – they love both kids.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Off the current subject somewhat but probably relevant to realignment due to how much the cost of doing business in the Power 4 will cost soon. See the article below concerning the new NCAA scholarship limits. I have always believed that lower football scholarship limits favored the more academically oriented schools like GT. Lower limits prevent the more football-oriented schools from stockpiling the 4-star and 5-star players. Since we will also be paying them, this could make it tough financially for GT. New limit will be 105 for Football.

I know most of our members are well aware of the higher cost due to the House settlement, but I thought this article was interesting concerning the new Scholarship limits.

There's a related thread on the Recruiting Forum. I made a very similar comment in that thread. To the point that, instead of raising the scholarship cap, the NCAA should have lowered the roster cap instead - if they wanted to help schools that struggle to compete with the factory budgets.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think if you asked anyone in the US which conference is superior in football – the SEC or ACC, everyone not affiliated with the ACC will say the SEC. You won’t have any SEC fans saying the ACC is better, but you will have some ACC fans reluctantly acknowledging the SEC is better. The on-air talent at ESPN is no different. The SEC is the big brother and the ACC is the little brother, but I think ESPN (the company) is like the parents – they love both kids.
To be clear, most of the SEC and the ACC were in the SAME conference, the Southern Conference. The Southern banned postseason play and many teams bolted to form a new, Southeastern Conference.

People get too torqued up over this. The SEC left to pursue football, the ACC went in a different direction. It simply is what it is.

“Southern Conference charter members were Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Tennessee, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Washington & Lee. In 1922, six more universities—Florida, LSU, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tulane, and Vanderbilt joined the conference.”

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The on-air talent pimps the SEC, but i think that's playing to the audience more than anything. Sanky has a ton of power and he does an extremely good job managing and leveraging the SEC. I think it was more likely his influence/persuasion than ESPNs.
The ESPN commentators that covered the ACC Championship were saying in-game that FSU didn't belong in the playoffs. They were not playing to the audience of the ACC Championship game. The CFP committee was watching that game live, and listening to the ESPN commentators who were broadcasting that game say that FSU didn't belong. I don't know how you could say that they were simply playing to the audience, when that audience was probably highly ACC centric.