Conference Realignment

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don't think staunchly defended is accurate either (but i could be wrong). I think there were people who understood how the decision was made, but didn't necessarily agree with it (I was in this camp). Perhaps you interpreted their explaining how that decision was reached as "staunchly defending". I'm doing this from memory so there is no need to dig up posts to show me examples. I just think most people thought FSU got jobbed (at least that is how i remember it).
As I recall, you were pretty objective about the methodology, not particularly enamored with it, but there were several of those who "debated" actively (and extensively) in favor of that methodology. It disappointed me greatly but to each his own.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I simply hope many of you are fine with a 10-2 GT being left out then once the committee gives their soliloquy on why a 9-3 BIG team gets over us. I‘m sure you’ll just move on like you expected FSU too.

Forensic - I hear you. I just think people in positions like Phillips should stay above the fray. FSU is in no way hurting the conference. They are our champion in football who got railroaded which set a precedent that impacts all teams in the ACC moving forward. So, they are suing over a contract. Big deal, it happens everyday. One side will prevail and one side will lose which is what court rooms are for. The committee, by leaving the undefeated ACC champion out, is what has done unbelievable damage to our conference. What has Phillips been doing behind the scenes to ensure we get 2 teams in? I hope I’m pleasantly surprised and we get 2-3 teams in, but why would the bully offer his victim a hand? No way Sankey and Pettiti let that happen.
It's possible a 9-3 team is better than a 10-2 team. Would need to analyze the scenario. A 13-0 conference champion should never be left out for a team with a loss. I have no issue with FSU being pissed about the snub. It's not the ACC's fault they got snubbed. ESPN chose the playoffs.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I simply hope many of you are fine with a 10-2 GT being left out then once the committee gives their soliloquy on why a 9-3 BIG team gets over us. I‘m sure you’ll just move on like you expected FSU too.

Forensic - I hear you. I just think people in positions like Phillips should stay above the fray. FSU is in no way hurting the conference. They are our champion in football who got railroaded which set a precedent that impacts all teams in the ACC moving forward. So, they are suing over a contract. Big deal, it happens everyday. One side will prevail and one side will lose which is what court rooms are for. The committee, by leaving the undefeated ACC champion out, is what has done unbelievable damage to our conference. What has Phillips been doing behind the scenes to ensure we get 2 teams in? I hope I’m pleasantly surprised and we get 2-3 teams in, but why would the bully offer his victim a hand? No way Sankey and Pettiti let that happen.
When GT gets to 10-2 lets celebrate we have arisen from the Dead! 2009 was the last time, 15 years. Being left out of the CFP is not a current issue for GT. Becoming a team that can compete for the ACC Championship is the order of the day!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No kidding. I'm serious.
“These disputes continue to be extremely damaging, disruptive, and incredibly harmful to the league, as well as overshadowing our student-athletes and the incredible successes taking place on the field and within the conference.”
If you read the FSU fan news, that is a "public shot at FSU".

According to people on this forum, saying that the ACC lied and "duped" you, that you are more valuable than the conference, and that the conference is horrible is just normal business. However saying that engaging in such mudslinging is "disruptive", is WAY over the top and nobody should ever do it.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Note to self: "Lock this thread when page count equals 999..."

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
My mental image of @Augusta_Jacket after this post:

source.jpg

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
FSU leaving the ACC could be FAR more damaging to GT than FSU without Travis getting left out of the CFP was. It’s hard to understand getting upset at the ACC for speaking out against it, especially after complaining about the ACC being too quiet about the CFP.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU leaving the ACC could be FAR more damaging to GT than FSU without Travis getting left out of the CFP was. It’s hard to understand getting upset at the ACC for speaking out against it, especially after complaining about the ACC being too quiet about the CFP.
My issue is not them leaving, f' them if they do not want to be in the ACC. That said, we should pursue all financial remedies to the fullest extent of the conference GOR. It is not a time to go soft like Swafford did when Maryland left.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

According to people on this forum, saying that the ACC lied and "duped" you, that you are more valuable than the conference, and that the conference is horrible is just normal business. However saying that engaging in such mudslinging is "disruptive", is WAY over the top and nobody should ever do it.
so they are thin-skinned crybabies - go figure.

not sure they wanted from the rest of the conference. and, their antics seem to have put them on the outs with their fantasy lover conference.

what idiots.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Conversation is way too in the weeds for me. I just scroll looking for pictures or pithy put downs. Because Lord knows we are no where close to finding out what is actually going to happen.
Here’s a teachable moment for us all. We wonder why the media does what it does, making stuff up and creative journalism. We do that here and none of us live by generating content here. Yet we do it. Journalists live in this stuff 24/7/365. It’s no wonder they do what they do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a teachable moment for us all. We wonder why the media does what it does, making stuff up and creative journalism. We do that here and none of us live by generating content here. Yet we do it. Journalists live in this stuff 24/7/365. It’s no wonder they do what they do.
Yep, we feed the monster.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Yup - 10 years is a long time ago. We are not close right now. Heading in the right direction and I will celebrate like heck when we get there.
Starving Johnson out like that starting in 2013 and then hiring the worst coach of all times will do that to you.

Completely self induced by a well meaning but cognitively deprived subset of fans/donors/GTAA admin

BurdellJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks, RonJ

Thanks, @RonJohn, and now I see and understand your sarcasm above. We'll done!

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
It's possible a 9-3 team is better than a 10-2 team. Would need to analyze the scenario. A 13-0 conference champion should never be left out for a team with a loss. I have no issue with FSU being pissed about the snub. It's not the ACC's fault they got snubbed. ESPN chose the playoffs.
Agree but with one small correction. Contrary to popular belief, ESPN did not choose the playoff teams. There is a CFP committee made up of a bunch of different people. Check out their Bios. Now you can make the argument they were heavily influenced by ESPN propaganda, but I think that's selling these people short. All of them are accomplished, educated and presumably intelligent, upstanding people.

Last edited: