Conference Realignment

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Why wouldn’t Tech approach the SEC and the BIG 10 and ask both for admission with the understanding that the first to offer will be accepted? If either offers, make the effective date the earlier of the end of the ACC’s current GoR, the legal elimination of the GoR, the dissolution of the ACC or such other earlier time as the parties might agree. That could provide Tech some assurance of a landing spot down the road. The BIG 10 might want to get the ATL market tied up or the SEC might want to keep the BIG 10 out of the ATL market. The fear of loss could be a motivator for one or both conferences. If neither bites, no harm done.
Not bad. If one of the conferences DID bite, we could go ahead and start scheduling some home and home to stoke interest and get some exposure.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
There was room. GT turned the B1G down. If we get left out, we just need to look in the mirror. We're at this point because of no one but GT.
And leaving the SEC. I’d rather be sitting with Vandy in the cellar than be in the situation we are in now.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Except once the classifications are set I don't see schools moving between them.
No relegation here.

If we end up in AAA then great. If not we will end up in AA and that is fine with me as well, and frankly really probably what we are from a college football standpoint.
Agreed. I just think it would be nice to create the possibility of programs moving up or down to keep things interesting (and honest).

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I just think it would be nice to create the possibility of programs moving up or down to keep things interesting (and honest).
I think I understand what you’re saying about mobility (and agree with the sentiment) but I’m not sure how you pull that off. There will still be conferences inside the tiers and I’m not sure who would tell a conference they should promote/demote a university. I think the only possibility is like what is happening now.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Article from Sports Ill. envisioning some combo of Pac 12, BIG 12 and ACC. https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/possible-pac-12-big-12-acc-merger

It is sickening to see even in option 3 with 24 teams no room for Georgia Tech. Reinforces how far GT has fallen with national press.
That isn't actually an SI article. It is from a Cal fan forum underneath SI. Kind of like KQ's site under Rivals. It is also a pipe dream. Clemson, FSU, nor Miami would probably be more likely to join one of the top two conferences than start an upstart conference. Only Oregon and OK State would be similar in national appeal. They would have a national footprint for subscriber rights, but I don't think they could get anything near what the SEC and Big10 are going to get.

It is much more likely that a merger between the ACC/Big12/Pac12 would not include Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Arizona, nor OK State. At that point the merged conference is basically like another Conference USA.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
There’s a lot of speculation about what conferences and teams should do next. When in doubt, follow the money. More and more, the media providers will be calling the shots. If ESPN or Fox, or the streamers want to form a league, or leagues, that look different from what conferences are today, then it is going to happen. Conferences are scrambling to adapt to the new reality of them primarily being content bundlers, and the PAC12 and BIG12 are on life support, with the ACC’s GoR the only thing holding it together. Teams and conferences need to understand that their value to the media providers lies in the size of their audience, not their geography. The B1G saw this and thus welcomed USC and UCLA.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Why do think the Big 12 is stable since it’s two key members got poached by the SEC and they backfilled with a bunch of second tier conference schools?
Because I don't think any of their remaining members (or new members) are high on the wish list for poaching at this point. The SEC and the Big 10 are not going after any Big 12 members. They will eventually go after Pac 12 and ACC members.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Because I don't think any of their remaining members (or new members) are high on the wish list for poaching at this point. The SEC and the Big 10 are not going after any Big 12 members. They will eventually go after Pac 12 and ACC members.
The only reason the Big10 or SEC will add schools is if it increases the individual payout for the current schools. There is no other reason. It's not that complicated. Both Washington and Oregon said they want to join the Big10, but the Big10 said No Thank you. That's because they don't increase the revenue enough. The only school that is available that could increase total revenue enough is ND. Some might argue Clemson and FSU could do that, but they are currently not available (and adding them could be a wash). The conferences aren't going to add teams for a wash. It would dilute the influence of each current member of the conference.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only reason the Big10 or SEC will add schools is if it increases the individual payout for the current schools. There is no other reason. It's not that complicated. Both Washington and Oregon said they want to join the Big10, but the Big10 said No Thank you. That's because they don't increase the revenue enough. The only school that is available that could increase total revenue enough is ND. Some might argue Clemson and FSU could do that, but they are currently not available (and adding them could be a wash). The conferences aren't going to add teams for a wash. It would dilute the influence of each current member of the conference.
I disagree. I think the positioning will be about controlling the direction of college football. I think the B1G and SEC will add teams strategically. That may have to do with increasing individual payouts, but it also might be to gain or maintain geographical dominance or to gain a presence in a geographical region. Ultimately, it's about power, which leads to money down the road. I think there are those playing the long game and then those reacting.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You really think Oregon, Washington, FSU, and Clemson would generate less revenue than UCLA, a program that was about to cut half of its sports because it was running out of money?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Oregon and Washington will get a bid to the Super 2. Oregon is now one of the "elite" brands in college football. They're more nouveau riche than blue blood, but their brand (and Nike's backing) carries weight with fans and recruits. Look at the link I posted and how many eyes Oregon commands when they play. Seattle is a popular destination for B1G grads, and they have a large media market. Washington pulls in a lot of eyeballs on the West Coast as well...and this new expansion game is all about eyeballs.

Fans need to realize this is a marathon, not a sprint. There's a reason why the SEC picked the two biggest names from the Big 12 to poach from, and why the B1G picked the two biggest names in the PAC 12 to poach. This is just the beginning of tectonic shifts, and tectonic plates are still shifting beneath the feet of college fans outside of everyone's sight.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
You really think Oregon, Washington, FSU, and Clemson would generate less revenue than UCLA, a program that was about to cut half of its sports because it was running out of money?
I think USC/UCLA was a package deal. I think USC is a lot more valuable than Oregon, Washington, FSU and Clemson. UCLA might be less valuable than the ones you mentioned, but they are still a very big brand.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree. I think the positioning will be about controlling the direction of college football. I think the B1G and SEC will add teams strategically. That may have to do with increasing individual payouts, but it also might be to gain or maintain geographical dominance or to gain a presence in a geographical region. Ultimately, it's about power, which leads to money down the road. I think there are those playing the long game and then those reacting.
Perhaps, but I think it’s primarily about money. I just don’t see schools getting $100m/year voting to add schools that will take their annual payout down to $90m - 95m/year. Secondly, I don’t see Alabama and UGA voting to add schools that will not only reduce their annual payout but also dilute their influence in the conference. Every school that’s added reduces the influence that Alabama and UGA have in the SEC.

Edit: I think the Alabama's and UGAs of the world agree to add teams (knowing their influence will be diluted) because it promises to increase their annual payout 25%+.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps, but I think it’s primarily about money. I just don’t see schools getting $100m/year voting to add schools that will take their annual payout down to $90m - 95m/year. Secondly, I don’t see Alabama and UGA voting to add schools that will not only reduce their annual payout but also dilute their influence in the conference. Every school that’s added reduces the influence that Alabama and UGA have in the SEC.
I think adding teams will be about making the conference stronger. That will probably lead to more money. Those that have control, control the money. I think there will be opportunities to add teams that may not payoff immediately but will put the conference in a position to be more dominant down the road. Ultimately, it's about power and power is about money.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think adding teams will be about making the conference stronger. That will probably lead to more money. Those that have control, control the money. I think there will be opportunities to add teams that may not payoff immediately but will put the conference in a position to be more dominant down the road. Ultimately, it's about power and power is about money.
I don't think more teams equals more power. More powerful teams equals more power. More mediocre teams weakens the powerful.