Conference Realignment

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Looks to me like the GOR in effect says some of us can't make it so we will take those that maybe can make it down with us. I remember when we did it I thought that could be a death wish, it ends up being about control of those that might succeed. If we do not correct IMO we watch the death of the ACC, I'm hearing folks from other schools say the ACC eventually folds. Even if say ESPN gave the conference more money it does not stop the demise of the ACC IMO. If all the schools go down with the conference can any recover at that late date?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But we can do better (coaches, staff, recruiting etc) than now correct? Having more money IS better than having less yes? If GT get the chance to upgrade conferences we absolutely have to take it, we are spiraling downward into fb oblivion if not....

Is more money in 2022 better than in 2019? Depends. When everyone gets more money, but you remain statistically in the back of the pack, it's not much of a difference. You might have more money only to find out everything costs more.

To be fair, yes, more money helps retire debt, but with more money available to every team that matters, that's just going to inflate coaching salaries across the board.

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes. I am depressed and worried. Looking back over my 60 years of being a Tech fan, I see very few successes and a lot of missteps and miscalculations. For a school that
prides itself on being forward looking in academics, there always has been an undeserved arrogance in the athletic program. Yes, we have a rich history in athletics, and we are in a huge metro area that surrounds us- with all the pros and cons that are part of that. But our ADs recently have been inept and it has cost us dearly.
IMHO, we have chronically underachieved - except for a short span with PJ- in the two most important sports in college athletics. For us to become relevant and attractive to the Big 10, we need to realize we are in a fight for survival to avoid becoming an afterthought in today's college athletics. If we want to become another MIT or Cal Tech, where sports are basically non-existent, we can just keep on doing what we have done lately in FB and BB. The school we love is not nearly as attractive to other conferences as many of us, and the AD, seem to think we are. Currently we are a very longshot to get asked to join the Big Ten. Stanford has much more to offer, IMO.

MIT just finished 6th in the Learfield Cup. Sure, they are D3 and not D1 but sports are not "basically non-existent" there. In fact, they are asking the best in the country for their division.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some chatter of the ACC and PAC10 looking at a partnership.

There was also a report today that Colorado has come out and said they do not have an interest in joining the B12.

FWIW, folks have been predicting the demise of the ACC for 20 years, it hasn't happened yet. It may, but I don't think it is imminent.
In the short term I don't think either the SEC or the B10 are very interested in adding ACC teams. That could change in the future, but not at the moment.

ND has always sort of been its own beast. It has routinely left money on the table in order to stay independent and play a national schedule. Heck, I believe if you took the money it gets from NBC and added what it gets from the ACC for its non-FB sports I think that is actually less than it would make if it just joined the ACC in all sports.
The biggest thing for ND has always been playing on both coasts on having alot of eyeballs (it is currently 7th in avg viewership - behind 6 teams from the SEC and B10).

I think FBS could be headed to a HS type classification system.
Big 2 would be AAA
The next 3 would be AA
The G5 would be A.
There would likely be some limited movement of schools between those 3 classifications before they were set, but not alot.
Each would have their own championships, their own TV contracts, their own rules.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan

There was also a report today that Colorado has come out and said they do not have an interest in joining the B12.

FWIW, folks have been predicting the demise of the ACC for 20 years, it hasn't happened yet. It may, but I don't think it is imminent.
In the short term I don't think either the SEC or the B10 are very interested in adding ACC teams. That could change in the future, but not at the moment.

ND has always sort of been its own beast. It has routinely left money on the table in order to stay independent and play a national schedule. Heck, I believe if you took the money it gets from NBC and added what it gets from the ACC for its non-FB sports I think that is actually less than it would make if it just joined the ACC in all sports.
The biggest thing for ND has always been playing on both coasts on having alot of eyeballs (it is currently 7th in avg viewership - behind 6 teams from the SEC and B10).

Big 2 would be AAA
The next 3 would be AA
The G5 would be A.
There would likely be some limited movement of schools between those 3 classifications before they were set, but not alot.
Each would have their own championships, their own TV contracts, their own rules.
The issue with this line of thinking that I struggle with is that there are probably 6 - 8 schools from the Big 2, maybe more, that would struggle to finish with a winning record most years playing in the ACC Coastal.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Big 2 would be AAA
The next 3 would be AA
The G5 would be A.
Colorado and Arizona St have put out statements reaffirming their commitment to the Pac 12. Not really expressing any disinterest with the Big 12. The Athletic reported today that 6 schools (Utah, Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Oregon, Wash) are in serious discussions with the Big 12. If the Athletic is reporting that then it has to have some teeth to it. Then you have the alliance rumor as well that started circulating. It sounds like the members of the Pac 12 are just covering all of their bases right now. Im sure at least two of them are still actively making their case to the Big 10 as well.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Why wouldn’t Tech approach the SEC and the BIG 10 and ask both for admission with the understanding that the first to offer will be accepted? If either offers, make the effective date the earlier of the end of the ACC’s current GoR, the legal elimination of the GoR, the dissolution of the ACC or such other earlier time as the parties might agree. That could provide Tech some assurance of a landing spot down the road. The BIG 10 might want to get the ATL market tied up or the SEC might want to keep the BIG 10 out of the ATL market. The fear of loss could be a motivator for one or both conferences. If neither bites, no harm done.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow

Big 2 would be AAA
The next 3 would be AA
The G5 would be A.
This reminds me of a WWI German Ambassador describing the alliance with Austria-Hungary as being shackled to a corpse.... Please ACC, don't do this.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
A few thoughts,
Will the USC / Notre Dame series continue since USC is moving to the Big 10?
What if there are two super conferences and the SEC loses their top tier teams? What do you do with Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky and the Mississippi schools?
Why would the SEC want Clemson since they already have the University of South Carolina? Is the state of South Carolina considered a big television market?
Our cable bills are going to go out of the roof.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Big 2 would be AAA
The next 3 would be AA
The G5 would be A.
Sounds like the English football system to me.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Colorado and Arizona St have put out statements reaffirming their commitment to the Pac 12. Not really expressing any disinterest with the Big 12. The Athletic reported today that 6 schools (Utah, Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado, Oregon, Wash) are in serious discussions with the Big 12. If the Athletic is reporting that then it has to have some teeth to it. Then you have the alliance rumor as well that started circulating. It sounds like the members of the Pac 12 are just covering all of their bases right now. Im sure at least two of them are still actively making their case to the Big 10 as well.
I can’t understand why any of the remaining PAC would want to join the current watered down Big 12. It should be the other way around with the PAC pulling Ok St and one or both of the Kansas schools.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
A few thoughts,
Will the USC / Notre Dame series continue since USC is moving to the Big 10?
What if there are two super conferences and the SEC loses their top tier teams? What do you do with Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky and the Mississippi schools?
Why would the SEC want Clemson since they already have the University of South Carolina? Is the state of South Carolina considered a big television market?
Our cable bills are going to go out of the roof.
The sec is not losing their top their teams.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I can’t understand why any of the remaining PAC would want to join the current watered down Big 12. It should be the other way around with the PAC pulling Ok St and one or both of the Kansas schools.
The Pac 12 isn't a stable league anymore. Two of its key members just got poached and if the Big 10 decides to expand further then more Pac 12 schools are likely getting poached. It's mostly about survival.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. A loose alliance doesn't sound solid at all.
Why would anyone want another alliance since the last one (Big Ten/ACC/Pac 12) worked so well. You would think everyone would have learned. I think this could work if you minimize travel outside of football. Think about the old Coastal/Atlantic where you played 2 out of division teams. Limit football to 2 crossovers and all other sports to just championships.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sounds like the English football system to me.
Except once the classifications are set I don't see schools moving between them.
No relegation here.

If we end up in AAA then great. If not we will end up in AA and that is fine with me as well, and frankly really probably what we are from a college football standpoint.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
The Pac 12 isn't a stable league anymore. Two of its key members just got poached and if the Big 10 decides to expand further then more Pac 12 schools are likely getting poached. It's mostly about survival.
Why do think the Big 12 is stable since it’s two key members got poached by the SEC and they backfilled with a bunch of second tier conference schools?