Conference Realignment

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Regardless. Doesn't gel with what was stated.
I stand by the first part of that comment that they are much better right now then when they joined the league. The second part was a joke to poke fun of the fact of how bad a program they have been forever. Yes, they were good under Schiano but he was gone by 2014 and they had started their decline back into obscurity, but whatever.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I stand by the first part of that comment that they are much better right now then when they joined the league. The second part was to poke fun of the fact of how bad a program they have been forever. Yes, they were good under Schiano but he was gone by 2014 and they had started their decline back into obscurity, but whatever.
Schiano is a good coach for Rutgers. The best thing that will happen to them is getting out of the B1G East. OSU, Michigan and Penn State beat them like a drum every year. Of course they could face Oregon, Washington and USC as well at the 3 mentioned above on any given year! LOL

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I stand by the first part of that comment that they are much better right now then when they joined the league. The second part was a joke to poke fun of the fact of how bad a program they have been forever. Yes, they were good under Schiano but he was gone by 2014 and they had started their decline back into obscurity, but whatever.

If you ignore all the years between 2014 and 2023, then yes, you are correct.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Maybe.

I look at it compared to other teams. A comparable is Vanderbilt. Since 2004, Vandy has a football win percentage of 0.367. Tech is 0.53 … not far below our long term rate.

Getting our historical win rate is not insurmountable… it’s 7 wins a year with an occasional breakout. The challenge is comparing ourselves to factories which is not a good comparison in 2023.

It’s not great. But it’s not the worst of all times either.
I agree. But why so many are fed up is that CPJ, regardless how you view him, had us expecting to win most of our games. With TFG we were just hoping to be competitive. Combine that with the school 80 miles to East having a mind-numbing great run at the same time, its just a double decker of a turn sandwich that we are eating right now. We will get back to where we belong; the leadership is there and on the same page, just have to wander out of the desert. Man I hope we're close.

See yall Saturday

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. But why so many are fed up is that CPJ, regardless how you view him, had us expecting to win most of our games. With TFG we were just hoping to be competitive. Combine that with the school 80 miles to East having a mind-numbing great run at the same time, its just a double decker of a turn sandwich that we are eating right now. We will get back to where we belong; the leadership is there and on the same page, just have to wander out of the desert. Man I hope we're close.

See yall Saturday
At least Cabrera seems to care about sports, unlike the previous president.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Just checking in on this season.

North Carolina has fallen from its high horse.

Clemson is down, not looking great.

FSU is still going strong. Damn, I’m annoyed we don’t play them this year. But if no one else does this year, I expect we’ll show up in Dublin next year ready to rain on their parade.

I don’t care if the ACC gets left out of the CFP. I want the 3 of those teams, who each thought they were better than the rest of us, to go down.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
Just checking in on this season.

North Carolina has fallen from its high horse.

Clemson is down, not looking great.

FSU is still going strong. Damn, I’m annoyed we don’t play them this year. But if no one else does this year, I expect we’ll show up in Dublin next year ready to rain on their parade.

I don’t care if the ACC gets left out of the CFP. I want the 3 of those teams, who each thought they were better than the rest of us, to go down.
For some reason I disagree with you. Nowadays it's not only team vs team, but conference vs conference. I'd rather see any ACC team as a national champion than any SEC, BIG10, Big12 team. I might be influenced by the people here in Metro Detroit as they brag that BIG10 will soon kick everybody's asses due to the new TV contracts coming up.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
For some reason I disagree with you. Nowadays it's not only team vs team, but conference vs conference. I'd rather see any ACC team as a national champion than any SEC, BIG10, Big12 team. I might be influenced by the people here in Metro Detroit as they brag that BIG10 will soon kick everybody's asses due to the new TV contracts coming up.
I want FSU to win it all this year, and then for us to beat them down in Dublin next year

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You have identified the reality of where college football is right now. Every team in your conference that loses casts doubt on every other team in that conference.

I honestly believe the ACC is the strongest conference this year. By a long shot. But having undefeated teams get beaten hurts because there is already a stigma against the ACC. UNC, Louisville and Miami could each, on a given Saturday, beat any other team in the country. Certainly their decisive wins over teams like LSU, Notre Dame and Texas A&M have already proven that.

The SEC turned me into a total ACC homer because they demonstrated a long time ago every win by an SEC team helps every other SEC team.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You have identified the reality of where college football is right now. Every team in your conference that loses casts doubt on every other team in that conference.

I honestly believe the ACC is the strongest conference this year. By a long shot. But having undefeated teams get beaten hurts because there is already a stigma against the ACC. UNC, Louisville and Miami could each, on a given Saturday, beat any other team in the country. Certainly their decisive wins over teams like LSU, Notre Dame and Texas A&M have already proven that.

The SEC turned me into a total ACC homer because they demonstrated a long time ago every win by an SEC team helps every other SEC team.
I think the Pac 12 in it's final year is overall the strongest conference. A real shame that conference is dissolving after this season.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

I believe Coach Key's comments on the ACC Huddle after the game is revealing. His comments were very positive concerning the ACC as being the most competitive conference. Plus, he reaffirmed that he was strongly supportive of the conference. I am pretty sure this represents the view of our President and the Institute in General.

His comments came after beating one of our ACC rivals who was shopping around in the off season. He seemed to be sending a message!

The ACC needs a representative in the CFP this year, and it is good if it's someone other than Clemson. Shows that the ACC has more than one Power Player! Even if it is one whose loyalty is suspect. I recall one article where one FSU rep said they had no invite to another conference. Personally, I doubt they will get one!

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

I have long felt this way. Bowl season, and any other time someone in the ACC is playing an OOC team, I’ve been very adamant about supporting them.

But this year, that (partially) changed. I want the ACC to succeed. But I don’t want to see one of those who have been “shopping around” get enough recognition to fulfill their self-aggrandizing-at-the-expense-of-other-conference-members prophecy. As a high school analogy, I don’t think you should sh!t on your friends, and then have them support you (so that you can continue to take a dump on them in the offseason). IMO, teams who do that weaken the conference just as much as the conference not having someone in the CFP at all. So I guess that’s where I stand right now - lesser of two evils.

That being said, I could get behind FSU winning it all, then us taking them down to the mat in Dublin.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I want money and the better any ACC team is, whether FSU or otherwise, the more for us. FSU has a great team this year. Are they always going to be great? I don't think so. CPJ beat them more than they beat him. The conference expansion helped relieve tension on a team defection ruining the conference. Payout to leave and expansion meaning conference wil stay together no matter what - makes me just want money. Although I do agree revenue sharing should payout more to some.

Clemson and FSU may be sorry if they leave and UNC really needs to rethink their whole flawed thought process so they don't have such deranged thoughts again.