Conference Realignment

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I read that for sports other than football and basketball, the west coast schools will play east coast schools in Dallas at the SMU campus to help with travel.

Thanks, I figure there will be some work around. Does that mean that the previous ACC teams would travel to SMU for "home" and "away" so all game would be a neutral site?

SMU is only 15 miles to DFW so that is easy for us. Others like in Hokie land will not be as well off.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Without reading a lot of the earlier posts, will all sports be included with SMU, Stanford and Cal? Or will some be excluded?
I believe Stanford has a lot of sports that the ACC does not sponsor. They will have to find a spot for those sports.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol the ACC has become a clown show.

I understand why UNC was so mad now about admitting new teams.

So basically, if UNC has to compete with an SEC team for a non revenue sport all the SEC team coaches need to remind the players is about the awful travel schedule.

The non football/basketball players don’t get any major support so we’re gonna watch the SEC and the B1G teams clean up the non revenue athletes.

It’s gonna be disastrous and the ACC teams are likely gonna regret this move (I especially love the idea of a bunch of home games and away games for non revenue sports being turned into Dallas borefests…it’s ****ing Dallas…one of the most boring cities no one wants to be at…at least Atlanta would be interesting for the players).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

So basically, if UNC has to compete with an SEC team for a non revenue sport all the SEC team coaches need to remind the players is about the awful travel schedule.

The non football/basketball players don’t get any major support so we’re gonna watch the SEC and the B1G teams clean up the non revenue athletes.

It’s gonna be disastrous and the ACC teams are likely gonna regret this move (I especially love the idea of a bunch of home games and away games for non revenue sports being turned into Dallas borefests…it’s ****ing Dallas…one of the most boring cities no one wants to be at…at least Atlanta would be interesting for the players).
But have you ever seen Dallas from a DC-9 at night?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if they have an exit exception in the contracts with those 3. This arrangement may turn out to be a disaster coordinating the non revenue sports. If another conference forms or they can exit with less restrictions than current members. The GOR thing is big.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

Yes, because traveling from Atlanta to Dallas is that much worse than Gainseville to Columbia,MO or Fayettville

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Nah, that just shows how weak the ACC is. I mean, who gets beat by Duke?
It all depends on what the name of the conference is:

Scenario: Conference A wins 2 out of 2 interconference games. Conference B loses 2 plus the only other P5 game they play. Conference A has one of their top ranked teams lose to a mid-ranked team.

If this is the SEC: Winning OOC games is the bellweather of strength of a conference. I mean, the SEC just beats everyone that they play. No other conference can hope to even begin to measure up. The conference is sooooo deep that every single game you play is like playing the top team in any other conference. Just look, the middle of the SEC is SOOOOO strong that they can beat the top teams. Nobody in any other conference has such a tough schedule, nor can any team from any other conference hope to stand up against anyone but the bottom two teams in the conference.

If this is the ACC: OOC games are meaningless. The teams in the SEC are more concerned about conference games against teams that actually matter. Look at the ACC, the top teams can't even beat middle of the pack teams. If Clemson or FSU were in the SEC, they would be lucky to win 2 conference games a year and would never go to a bowl game.

If people were given the scenario without knowing which conference has which stats, they wouldn't know how to make a commentary, becuase all they can do is spin.

EDIT: Edited to add that if the exact same scenario happened in reverse next year, all of the SEC fans and sports commentators would say the exact opposite with the same certainty. They would totally forget their arguments from the previous year and would deny ever making those arguments.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Think like the $ec.... just shows how deep of a conference we are!

This post may not age well. Duke looked pretty good last night....
Guys, my comment was 100% sarcastic tongue-in-cheek. Duke looked very good in the 2nd half (all I watched). Duke beating Clemson is not an indication that the ACC is weak at the top (or bottom). But, that's always been the narrative.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Two good articles on issues with the future of ESPN and cable in general.
Cable TV companies are starting to understand that the cable TV business isn't really that profitable for them and are starting to make long term strategic decisions based on the idea that they should play to their strengths (which includes potentially exiting the video business all together).
Interesting that with its current impasse with Disney that Charter is simply encouraging its customers to get subscriptions to FUBO or YouTube TV and making it easy for them to do so. Basically Charter just wants to make sure to keep the broadband relationship.

"Regardless of what a possible deal looks like, the die is cast. Charter has shown the stomach for dropping these channels is stronger than ever. The rate that Charter pays for TV networks -- especially sports -- has become so expensive that the cable operator’s margins are razor thin. Broadband and wireless are a much better business, with much higher margins, for cable operators."

"What’s the worst-case scenario?

If Charter gets out of the video business, and if other cable operators follow suit, media rights could be reset lower, which would have broad implications on team values and player salaries. Leagues and teams still would have media rights deals. But they wouldn’t be the same as they’ve seen over the past three decades, when the cable model benefitted sports leagues and teams more than anything else."