Conference Realignment

slugboy

Staff member
That's partially true, but they were still proactive and added some nice up and coming programs to shore up their stability. UCF and Cincy have shown they can be really good programs. BYU always has the potential to be a good program due to certain advantages. Arizona has the opportunity to be a VERY good program due to being one of the fastest growing states with a big media market.

Big12 was also the conference Oregon and Washington were going to join before Fox and the B1G stepped in. Speaks volumes that those two would rather join the Big12 over the ACC.
If Oregon is unhappy about their travel schedule to Columbus or Ann-Arbor, Winston-Salem and Miami would be worse. Washington’s worst trip in the B1G is Happy Valley. Their worst trip in the ACC is Miami.

In the Big 12, there’s UCF, which is rough.

Also, the Big 12 is not a long-term commitment—the ACC is a 12-year commitment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oregon and Washington weren't choosing the Big12 over the ACC. The ACC evaluated the Pac12 schools and had no interest in Oregon and Washington.

You must have missed all the articles that came out that the ACC explored adding PAC12 teams. They dragged their feet, and now it's not an option.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Oregon is unhappy about their travel schedule to Columbus or Ann-Arbor, Winston-Salem and Miami would be worse. Washington’s worst trip in the B1G is Happy Valley. Their worst trip in the ACC is Miami.

In the Big 12, there’s UCF, which is rough.

Also, the Big 12 is not a long-term commitment—the ACC is a 12-year commitment

The BIG 12 has teams in Texas, Utah, Arizona, and Colorado. They would probably split their conference into regions and only have to travel that far once or twice a year.

I actually did some mapping, Oregon/Washington going to Wisconsin or Illinois or Michigan or Ohio isn't much different than BC/Syracuse going to Miami. Given the improvement in flight, yes it's a long flight, but it's not unsurmountable.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think Oregon and Washington add much to the ACC.

The Big 12 would be a better fit geographically and also the Big 12 could've used Oregon more than the ACC, and I guess Washington is a not-terrible take-me-with-you.

I don't think it would've made sense for anyone, the ACC doesn't have the financial resources right now to take on a long-term-national-conference-building-project which probably needs another couple schools too, and the ones left were even less attractive financially.

I think the SEC is being bad for CFB-as-a-whole by being overly regional and being happy to just slowly neuter the Big 12 instead of making a bolder national move, but I think it would be suicide for the ACC to try to drive a national project like that in the current circumstances.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You must have missed all the articles that came out that the ACC explored adding PAC12 teams. They dragged their feet, and now it's not an option.

The money didn't work. If the ACC had added them, the per team share would have gone down. Think FSU is screaming now? Try telling them we will add two new teams but cut our payouts...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The money didn't work. If the ACC had added them, the per team share would have gone down. Think FSU is screaming now? Try telling them we will add two new teams but cut our payouts...

We don't know that it didn't work...it's just conjecture on our part. It would have worked better than what the PAC12 was getting and possibly the Big12.

IMO, the biggest issue was the ACC's GOR, and the fact that FOX stepped up to help move two big West Coast assets to the B1G. I said years ago that Oregon and Washington would eventually end up in the B1G with USC and UCLA. There was no way the B1G was leaving the Cali schools on an island, and also Oregon and Washington were key West Coast pieces in the overall national plan.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Oregon and Washington weren't choosing the Big12 over the ACC. The ACC evaluated the Pac12 schools and had no interest in Oregon and Washington.
Definitely no upside. I think everyone is set for a while, except for the PAC 4. They will probably poach a smaller Western conference.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I actually did some mapping, Oregon/Washington going to Wisconsin or Illinois or Michigan or Ohio isn't much different than BC/Syracuse going to Miami. Given the improvement in flight, yes it's a long flight, but it's not unsurmountable.
Biggest difference are the time zones. Even pro players getting millions of dollars complain about crossing time zones frequently.
BUT since a good number of schools should be looking at online classes for all athletes so the missed class time due to travel will be a non factor. (Yes I know lab classes are a must in person)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Biggest difference are the time zones. Even pro players getting millions of dollars complain about crossing time zones frequently.
BUT since a good number of schools should be looking at online classes for all athletes so the missed class time due to travel will be a non factor. (Yes I know lab classes are a must in person)
I get the feeling that classes won’t be an impediment to where big time college football is headed

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I get the feeling that classes won’t be an impediment to where big time college football is headed

Does anyone really think conferences and networks really care about an athlete's academic schedule? Big $$$ money talks. One thing people need to realize about the "Olympic sports" traveling issues is football and basketball finances those other sports. If the schools don't maximize revenue from football and basketball, it's much more difficult to fund the "Olympic sports" at the expense of other sports.

The only school I've read that has been outspoken about the SA's experience and not moving to a lower tier conference for academic reasons is Stanford. They have literally turned down the Big12's invite because of academic prestige and SA traveling.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We don't know that it didn't work...it's just conjecture on our part.

True, but it's realistic conjecture. Collectively, the remaining Pac-12 teams couldn't garner a TV contract that paid out more than $20 million per school, yet somehow we think we might have been able to double that get at least a minimum of $40 million if they joined the ACC, which would only keep us treading water in terms of payouts?

There's a lot of conjecture on this thread that's treated as gospel, but I am pretty confident in this bit.

It would have worked better than what the PAC12 was getting and possibly the Big12.

Working better than the Pac-12 and Big-12 doesn't help us if it means we're bleeding off payout money just to gain members.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Do we end up with a CFB National Conference with 50 schools give or take that is stand alone and the Olympic sports get their own regional conferences. I believe GT is now set to fund all athletic scollies from the school rather than the GTAA, (which would allow separation of FB from the others ) am I not right on that? Does the school fund the food/nutrition and the olympic sports use FB and BB training facilities, strength and conditioning?
It seems to me that we are headed that way in some manner or other. Would love any input from those that have some real idea of where we're headed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure there is anything newsworthy but some of the pot shots are kind of funny.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article277971288.html

From the article:

"As always, television money is the catalyst. The past two summers, when Oklahoma and Texas left the Big 12 for the SEC and UCLA and USC left for the Big Ten, they did it to squeeze more money out of ESPN and Fox, respectively. This summer, it’s because there’s not any left. Fox is tapped out and Disney is exploring a “strategic partner” for ESPN as the golden spigot of cable-subscriber fees dries up, so when the Pac-12 went to cut a new deal it found an empty room full of tumbleweeds. The best it could do was Apple TV, at a fraction of what its schools get now. Oregon and Washington decided a partial share of Big Ten money was a better option, no matter what it means for the athletes involved."

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Would love any input from those that have some real idea of where we're headed.
I don't think anyone really knows. We may get a "tell" this Wednesday at 4:30 when DIS reports earnings. There's a lot of speculation that it's gonna' be ugly. IMO, the ever expanding pot of gold for broadcast rights led by ESPN may be over. Streaming may be the future, but it's likely to be a bumpy ride to get there.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Do we end up with a CFB National Conference with 50 schools give or take that is stand alone and the Olympic sports get their own regional conferences. I believe GT is now set to fund all athletic scollies from the school rather than the GTAA, (which would allow separation of FB from the others ) am I not right on that? Does the school fund the food/nutrition and the olympic sports use FB and BB training facilities, strength and conditioning?
It seems to me that we are headed that way in some manner or other. Would love any input from those that have some real idea of where we're headed.
The bold is where i think things end up, but who knows how long it will take to get there.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think in the next set of media deals you will start seeing some uneven distribution of revenue in every conference. I can see a base payment that is tied to linear TV and a variable component tied to some type of streaming arrangement.