Conference Realignment

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We'll be hearing these rumors for the next eight or ten years
there ain't but one thing to do

1690927101471.png

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Thamel doesn't seem to be as certain about ACC teams leaving the conference as all of the random people on Twitter. In fact, everything he says highly suggests that nothing will happen in the near future.
I should have been a little more clear in my statement. Thamel suggests that no ACC team will be leaving. He did leave open the possibility of more teams joining the ACC.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I should have been a little more clear in my statement. Thamel suggests that no ACC team will be leaving. He did leave open the possibility of more teams joining the ACC.
ACC should get Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, and maybe Stanford or Cal. I would think that would re-open the contract with ESPN. It would allow the ACC Network to make money in those West Coast markets. And lock those schools into the GOR so they can't be poached by anyone else. All hell will break loose in 10 years still but none of us know what TV will even look like then anyway.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One thing I don’t really get is why teams like FSU and Clemson are SO upset about the conference payout disparity, do either even need the extra money to compete with SEC and BIG schools? For GT it would be a lifeline to potentially pull ourselves up to a more level playing field for paying coaches, recruiting budgets, facilities, paying off massive debt etc.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
ACC should get Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, and maybe Stanford or Cal. I would think that would re-open the contract with ESPN. It would allow the ACC Network to make money in those West Coast markets. And lock those schools into the GOR so they can't be poached by anyone else. All hell will break loose in 10 years still but none of us know what TV will even look like then anyway.
They might jump on it at this point, the new PAC deal seems pretty awful

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure there have been discussions among the ACC, ESPN, and those schools. Also between the Big12, ESPN, and those schools. There are rumors of some of those schools jumping to the Big12 this week. It is possible that the Big10 will reconsider and add Oregon and Washington now that the Pac12 looks like it is very possibly not going to survive. I seriously doubt that Oregon and Washington would sign the long GOR to join because they want to be in the Big10.

I have heard reports in the past that the ACC has investigated adding four or so schools from the Pac12 and the money offered was never enough to make it happen. I think it is very likely that there will be more realignment announcements in the next couple of weeks. I could see the ACC making adjustments to the GOR to be shorter to get some of those schools to join, IF there is enough money for the next 6-7 years to make it worth it. The Pac12 is in trouble. The ACC is dependent upon ESPN in order to make a move, and ESPN isn't flush with cash any more. Whatever happens, it should be interesting.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think ESPN would be very interested in adding more quality matchups to the ACC and also would be interested in late-nite games for their lineups. OR and Wash are in a tough spot- the PAC may collapse, the new streaming/tv deal is sad, they think themselves too good for the big12 and it doesn't seem like the BIG is too terribly interested in either at this time.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure there have been discussions among the ACC, ESPN, and those schools. Also between the Big12, ESPN, and those schools. There are rumors of some of those schools jumping to the Big12 this week. It is possible that the Big10 will reconsider and add Oregon and Washington now that the Pac12 looks like it is very possibly not going to survive. I seriously doubt that Oregon and Washington would sign the long GOR to join because they want to be in the Big10.

I have heard reports in the past that the ACC has investigated adding four or so schools from the Pac12 and the money offered was never enough to make it happen. I think it is very likely that there will be more realignment announcements in the next couple of weeks. I could see the ACC making adjustments to the GOR to be shorter to get some of those schools to join, IF there is enough money for the next 6-7 years to make it worth it. The Pac12 is in trouble. The ACC is dependent upon ESPN in order to make a move, and ESPN isn't flush with cash any more. Whatever happens, it should be interesting.
Nobody in the ACC is going to be willing to take a cut to add new teams. There has to be a decent bump to make it worthwhile. Adding some West coast teams would make for some interesting games.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think ESPN would be very interested in adding more quality matchups to the ACC and also would be interested in late-nite games for their lineups. OR and Wash are in a tough spot- the PAC may collapse, the new streaming/tv deal is sad, they think themselves too good for the big12 and it doesn't seem like the BIG is too terribly interested in either at this time.
The problem could be ESPN doesn’t have the money to make it profitable for the ACC. Travel cost would be a lot higher and some of the other sport could use that money up and it wouldn’t be profitable the ACC or PAC 12-10-9 schools.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Adding some West coast teams would make for some interesting games.
Question is other than the west coast teams and the ACC would people in the rest of the country really care. That is one thing that hurt the PAC 12 or 10 or 8 or whatever night games even late afternoon games most people don’t want to watch

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Question is other than the west coast teams and the ACC would people in the rest of the country really care. That is one thing that hurt the PAC 12 or 10 or 8 or whatever night games even late afternoon games most people don’t want to watch
Made for tv only.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, the ACC surviving would be to kick out Duke, Wake, BC, and maybe Syracuse. Get Miami back to winning 10+ games but not sure that's ever happening again. Get Va. Tech back to the Frank Beamer days. But we gotta get rid of the teams that suck with TV ratings and are a total drain.

Obviously convince ND to join full-time would significantly increase the TV deal but we know that's not happening.

A conference with these 16 teams should get a really good TV deal:
Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NC State, Va. Tech, UVA, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Utah, and Arizona. Offer Duke, Wake, and Syracuse basketball only membership if they want it.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

This sounds accurate.

My guess, and only a guess, is the BIG12 will add 3 (probably Arizona, Washington and Oregon). The ACC stands pat as well as the other conferences. PAC is left with Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, Washington St, Arizona St, Utah and add San Diego St, Boise St. UNLV, Wyoming - something like that and sign Apple deal. Apple will do it to get into the college football arena. What this does to college football playoff formula is hard to say. Does PAC still get an automatic bid to playoffs? Not sure they should.

I have to give the Big12 credit. Back from the dead and negotiated a TV deal that will pay them if add power conference teams in expansion. Very smart. The ACC deal is not as bad as some say. Long term nature brings stability even if low on dollars.

slugboy

Staff member
Honestly, the ACC surviving would be to kick out Duke, Wake, BC, and maybe Syracuse. Get Miami back to winning 10+ games but not sure that's ever happening again. Get Va. Tech back to the Frank Beamer days. But we gotta get rid of the teams that suck with TV ratings and are a total drain.

Obviously convince ND to join full-time would significantly increase the TV deal but we know that's not happening.

A conference with these 16 teams should get a really good TV deal:
Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NC State, Va. Tech, UVA, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Utah, and Arizona. Offer Duke, Wake, and Syracuse basketball only membership if they want it.
Big 12 seems to be emphasizing basketball. It might be working for them—at least, for now. Duke is a basketball name brand.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This sounds accurate.

My guess, and only a guess, is the BIG12 will add 3 (probably Arizona, Washington and Oregon). The ACC stands pat as well as the other conferences. PAC is left with Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, Washington St, Arizona St, Utah and add San Diego St, Boise St. UNLV, Wyoming - something like that and sign Apple deal. Apple will do it to get into the college football arena. What this does to college football playoff formula is hard to say. Does PAC still get an automatic bid to playoffs? Not sure they should.

I have to give the Big12 credit. Back from the dead and negotiated a TV deal that will pay them if add power conference teams in expansion. Very smart. The ACC deal is not as bad as some say. Long term nature brings stability even if low on dollars.
Big 12 LEADERSHIP accepts that COLLEGE football is in the entertainment """business""".

Imo, at last year acc kick off acc was told to improve (full stands of enthusiastic fans, etc) -
While its important that gt gets with it = 1. Angel and changed horses in mid season. 2. Will our alumni increase donations to move us out of bottom . 3 Can Key win by in game coaching adjustments
feeder acc

Its more important that ACC leadership make wise decesions and not depend on legalese to lead them to sit and hope.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If the PAC dies and leaves Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Cal, and Stanford bbehind someone is going to welcome them. If the four Corner schools all go to the Big12, that does not look like a comfortable landing spot. The ACC schools are very similar to all those schools (except, maybe, Oregon St). The ACC cannot stand pat in the long term and those are four great schools and one good one.

slugboy

Staff member
If the PAC dies and leaves Oregon, Oregon St, Washington, Cal, and Stanford bbehind someone is going to welcome them. If the four Corner schools all go to the Big12, that does not look like a comfortable landing spot. The ACC schools are very similar to all those schools (except, maybe, Oregon St). The ACC cannot stand pat in the long term and those are four great schools and one good one.
We already have “pods”, so we can schedule. Let’s take Cal or Stanford as our traditional rival—Clemson can take Oregon.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The problem could be ESPN doesn’t have the money to make it profitable for the ACC. Travel cost would be a lot higher and some of the other sport could use that money up and it wouldn’t be profitable the ACC or PAC 12-10-9 schools.
Travel costs difference is negligible. A flight is a flight for the most part. Everything else is the same.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
The Pac12 (with Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford) can’t get a media contract that approaches the ACC’s current contract. Why do you think adding any of those schools would increase the payouts to the ACC schools? You don’t water down your league for the next 10 years because you’re afraid you might lose a school or two to the SEC/Big10 in 2036.