Conference Realignment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The other complication with any ACC school leaving, unless it's to the SEC, is that ESPN owns the majority of the media rights to the ACC and is a partner in the ACC Network. If FSU and Clemson are going to the B1G, not only will ESPN lose two of the marquee teams in one of their assets, they would lose it to a competitor (Fox, B1G)...and effectively killing one of their most lucrative media assets.

Nothing makes sense about FSU and Clemson leaving this early in the GOR.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The other complication with any ACC school leaving, unless it's to the SEC, is that ESPN owns the majority of the media rights to the ACC and is a partner in the ACC Network. If FSU and Clemson are going to the B1G, not only will ESPN lose two of the marquee teams in one of their assets, they would lose it to a competitor (Fox, B1G)...and effectively killing one of their most lucrative media assets.

Nothing makes sense about FSU and Clemson leaving this early in the GOR.
We'll be hearing these rumors for the next eight or ten years before anything comes of any of them. And by then, the landscape will have changed to who knows what.
Something might happen sometime in the 2030's, by which time this thread will be a thousand pages long.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
One would think but somehow I don’t think it would play out that way. Wonder if the GOR contract has any iron clad clause about that.
Well, the “buyout” may be treated differently, but the media revenue split is equally. FSU and Clem annual share of media would be split among remaining members. If ACC did something different with the buyout, I couldn’t say, but I have a really hard time believing it could favor any one program over another since it was established as part of the GOR / media deal.
That said...If the dominoes really start to fall in this manner, the cash grab as the ACC topples is going to be epic.

slugboy

Staff member
One would think but somehow I don’t think it would play out that way. Wonder if the GOR contract has any iron clad clause about that.
Well, the “buyout” may be treated differently, but the media revenue split is equally. FSU and Clem annual share of media would be split among remaining members. If ACC did something different with the buyout, I couldn’t say, but I have a really hard time believing it could favor any one program over another since it was established as part of the GOR / media deal.
That said...If the dominoes really start to fall in this manner, the cash grab as the ACC topples is going to be epic.
The ACC just voted for an uneven distribution based on some factors (making the playoffs, bowl eligibility, etc). It seems like there is at least some latitude in how the conference can distribute income.

First, I’ll believe teams actually leaving when I see it. It’s obvious that FSU is trying, and the uneven revenue split isn’t convincing them to try to stay—which means our AD voted correctly

Second, if two or three teams were to leave, then the ACC would have at least two or three fewer votes for uneven revenue sharing, which means the exit fee and other payments would more likely be split evenly

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The ACC just voted for an uneven distribution based on some factors (making the playoffs, bowl eligibility, etc). It seems like there is at least some latitude in how the conference can distribute income.

First, I’ll believe teams actually leaving when I see it. It’s obvious that FSU is trying, and the uneven revenue split isn’t convincing them to try to stay—which means our AD voted correctly

Second, if two or three teams were to leave, then the ACC would have at least two or three fewer votes for uneven revenue sharing, which means the exit fee and other payments would more likely be split evenly

FSU hasn't been "FSU" for a bit. They had a spurt under Jimbo Fisher where they won the Natty with Jameison Winston, but they are not the elite team that stormed into the ACC. They should really start winning the ACC consistently before popping off.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

My understanding was the uneven part is an “eat what you kill” mode for post season and individual team bonuses. I thought the base media deal (and presumably a buy out to be relieved from it) was still split evenly.
Was that a rumor? Details still pending?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My understanding was the uneven part is an “eat what you kill” mode for post season and individual team bonuses. I thought the base media deal (and presumably a buy out to be relieved from it) was still split evenly.
Was that a rumor? Details still pending?
The GOR media deal is evenly split. The bowl games and March Madness payouts are now split based on participation.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

But could they vote for even sharing and then retroactively grab the buyout?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Currently, there are roughly 65 Power Five conference schools...give or take...depending on the day of the week.

Anyone else see what I'm seeing? Does March Madness give you a clue?

Take the best (?) 64 teams and divide them into four conferences based on geographical location. (For any UGA fans who are lurking on this board, that's 16 teams per conference.) (Side note: each year, I would use the English Football relegation approach and drop the last-place teams from each conference and promote the conference champions from the Group of Four conferences making every game relevant to every team...but that's another story.)

Next, divide each conference into two divisions of eight teams. They play each other as well as some cross-divisional and out-of-conference games. Division champs play for Conference Title. Conference Champions play for National Title.

That creates a CFP of eight teams...an expansion over the current four team format.

ESPN, NBC and whoever else has a financial stake pays ALL FOUR conferences equally for broadcast rights, etc. The conferences divide up the money among their members as they see fit.

EVERYONE WINS.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
EVERYONE WINS.

Prove me wrong.
the only thing that can be proven wrong is this...

MOST win. Not everyone. The wealth is concentrated in the ilk of Ohio State, Texas, UGAg, Bama, Michigan, USC, ND,etc. They’re really the ones running the show and 100% of the objection to this scenario will come from those top 10-15 programs because they won’t take a pay cut to share the wealth. Otherwise, yup, it’s a beautiful solution.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Currently, there are roughly 65 Power Five conference schools...give or take...depending on the day of the week.

Take the best (?) 64 teams and divide them into four conferences based on geographical location. (For any UGA fans who are lurking on this board, that's 16 teams per conference.) (Side note: each year, I would use the English Football relegation approach and drop the last-place teams from each conference and promote the conference champions from the Group of Four conferences making every game relevant to every team...but that's another story.)

Next, divide each conference into two divisions of eight teams. They play each other as well as some cross-divisional and out-of-conference games. Division champs play for Conference Title. Conference Champions play for National Title.

That creates a CFP of eight teams...an expansion over the current four team format.

ESPN, NBC and whoever else has a financial stake pays ALL FOUR conferences equally for broadcast rights, etc. The conferences divide up the money among their members as they see fit.

EVERYONE WINS.

Prove me wrong.
Here goes.... Some of the "left outs" are tough. ECU, GA So, App State.. there are some programs with an argument...
Maybe need 72 spots? 8 divisions with 9 teams each. play everyone in division (8 games) plus 2 random games then seed the division winners.... hope my attempt at a table works...

SoutheastSouthernSouthwestMidwestNorthAtlanticCentralPacific
ClemsonAlabamaAriz StIllinoisMich StMarylandColoradoCalifornia
FloridaArkansasArizonaIndianaMichiganNCStKansasOregon
FSUAuburnBaylorIowaMinnSyracuseKstateStanford
GeorgiaLSUTCUIowa StNDUNCMizzouUCLA
GTMiss STTx A&MKentuckyOhio StVirginiaNebraskaUSC
MiamiOle MissTx TechL'villePenn STVTOklahomaWashington
S CarTennTexasPurdueWiscyWVUOky StWSU
UCF?VandyHouston?CincyPittRutgersUtahOregon St
USF?SMU?N'westernDukeColo State?Boise?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
the only thing that can be proven wrong is this...

MOST win. Not everyone. The wealth is concentrated in the ilk of Ohio State, Texas, UGAg, Bama, Michigan, USC, ND,etc. They’re really the ones running the show and 100% of the objection to this scenario will come from those top 10-15 programs because they won’t take a pay cut to share the wealth. Otherwise, yup, it’s a beautiful solution.
BINGO. This won't happen because it is not a positive for the top 10-15 teams that really run college football. It would be a net negative to them. More importantly, it would be a net negative to any team currently in the B1G and the SEC as it would take away some of their financial advantage.
Would be great for everybody else.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Here goes.... Some of the "left outs" are tough. ECU, GA So, App State.. there are some programs with an argument...
Maybe need 72 spots? 8 divisions with 9 teams each. play everyone in division (8 games) plus 2 random games then seed the division winners.... hope my attempt at a table works...

Awesome work. A fan's dream.

Which of these hypothetical conferences looks strongest? Weakest? And how does Tech fare in this new line-up? o_O

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Awesome work. A fan's dream.

Which of these hypothetical conferences looks strongest? Weakest? And how does Tech fare in this new line-up? o_O
It really would be awesome! Oh well...

Toughest? Southern football bias has me leaning toward Southern and Southeast, but honestly, that North division will be a war!

I think they all have a chance to produce a couple strong teams but I would say the least depth probably is Midwest or Atlantic...

It would be fun!

ETA... and I left out Wake... sorry Deac fans. We’ll put WF in the Atlantic and move WVU to the North and just solidify that as murders row.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

I realize this thread is drifting into “the future of college football…”, but I think the playoffs will continue to expand and start to drive decisions, rather than the conferences. We’re at 12 teams now. Expansion to 32 is not out of the question, since the lower-tier conferences already support 28, and the playoff revenue would increase dramatically. At this point, the CFP would include the top 30 or so bowls and their associated revenue. The playoffs could indeed follow a March Madness type of model, with regions similar to what you’re proposing.

When or before that happens, the NCAA may agree to the Knight Commission recommendation, and let the FBS tier have a different governance organization (National College Football Association, or “NCFA”). The NCFA will partner with the CFP Governance Board (already all the major conference commissioners in FBS are on it) to distribute the revenue, which is expected to grow to over $2B in a few years.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

EVERYONE WINS.

Prove me wrong.
To get that many teams and all the conference to agree on that system has no chance of ever happening.