Conference Realignment

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't pay much attention to ESPN anymore other than to watch a game every now and then. They evolved into something unwatchable with all the "argument" shows without any meaningful insight. People arguing for the sake of arguing and calling it entertainment. :yuck:
Agreed. There is no reason at all to turn on ESPN until kick off time / tip off time. I can’t even do “Game Day” anymore, much less the mid-week talk garbage. I wish they would invest in really great play by play and color people... I don’t ever see anyone else.
I’m probably in the minority here though...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. There is no reason at all to turn on ESPN until kick off time / tip off time. I can’t even do “Game Day” anymore, much less the mid-week talk garbage. I wish they would invest in really great play by play and color people... I don’t ever see anyone else.
You're probably like me on Super Bowl Sunday. I turn the TV on at precisely 6:37, when they kick the ball.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You're probably like me on Super Bowl Sunday. I turn the TV on at precisely 6:37, when they kick the ball.
I showed up for a super bowl party at 630, set up my pot of chili and enjoyed the game. One of my friends had been there for two hours and was asleep in a recliner by the half. Not my old man idea of fun anymore.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Has anyone ever done separate broadcasts in CFB? Do the conferences have agreements preventing it?

If there doesn’t turn out to be a single “power league network” thing I cant imagine the market supporting “sign up for another subscription to watch a random out of conference game once a year.” Something like pro sports where you’d just get the GT affiliated broadcast produced out of Ole Miss on ACCN while Ole Miss fans watched the SEC one seems much more attractive logistically.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Too much bad blood? Really? Tech left the SEC in 1964
holding lauren conrad GIF by The Hills

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Remember when Jim Harbaugh and other coaches were having Satellite Camps in Georgia (Cedar Grove) plus other southern states (2016). Sabin and Harbaugh had a twitter war for a while, and before 2016 ended, the Satellite Camps were outlawed by the NCAA. I don't believe the SEC wants the BIG in the South, particularly Georgia or Florida due to recruiting!
With where I happen to think things are headed, doubt if the NCAA even exist in 10 years or less. I agree that the SEC does not want the BIG in GA, FL. We may even see the SEC come after GT to try and slow it down. For me I would rather be in the National conference than the neighborhood rivalry conference just because that IMO is where we will wish we were some years from now. I remember having mixed feelings about the BIG when they offered and later wished we had taken the invite, I was real short sighted and of course had no idea Swafford and the Tobacco road mafia could screw things up as bad as they did. Now I'm not sure it would have made any difference whether they screwed it up or not. The saturation by so much TV has changed everything IMO. Someone was talking about all the talking head programs and not watching any of it anymore and man that fits me all the way, I hardly ever watch any of that anymore, probably would if GT were on game day and that would pretty much be it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
With where I happen to think things are headed, doubt if the NCAA even exist in 10 years or less. I agree that the SEC does not want the BIG in GA, FL. We may even see the SEC come after GT to try and slow it down. For me I would rather be in the National conference than the neighborhood rivalry conference just because that IMO is where we will wish we were some years from now. I remember having mixed feelings about the BIG when they offered and later wished we had taken the invite, I was real short sighted and of course had no idea Swafford and the Tobacco road mafia could screw things up as bad as they did. Now I'm not sure it would have made any difference whether they screwed it up or not. The saturation by so much TV has changed everything IMO. Someone was talking about all the talking head programs and not watching any of it anymore and man that fits me all the way, I hardly ever watch any of that anymore, probably would if GT were on game day and that would pretty much be it.
I posted this today in the thread about the "future of football". I think the NCAA will still exist, but will spin off FBS football governance.
https://www.knightcommission.org/wp...ndations-for-change-1220-022221-update-01.pdf

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I guess I’m not like most of y’all , I love Tech football I think this coaching staff will bring Tech back to winning and playing in bowl games.
I just don’t see the SEC cares about Tech and I don’t see the Big 10 cares about Tech. Now a few years down the line if we can put together a few 9 plus years of seasons maybe, but now all they see is a college team the can’t fill our stadium.
I’m not sure in a few years there won’t be a big blow up of college football as the money has got to big. Maybe and I know most everyone will disagree but just maybe we need to hope the ACC stays together.
I think you’re mistaken that the Big 10 cares about winning very much.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You must not know many fans of Big Ten teams. This is falt out wrong.
I think you mistook my meaning. The teams themselves care about winning, but I don’t think the conference places much weight in “a couple nine win seasons” as a requirement for admission. Only two B1G teams have averaged 9 wins a year for the past ten years - Ohio State and Wisconsin - and only four more averaged 8 - Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan State. And you’ll notice those are traditional B1G teams (with the slight exception of Penn State who was added back in 1990). The teams they added via expansion since - Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska - all average 5 or less wins a year.

My point is that winning is not really a requirement for admission.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you mistook my meaning. The teams themselves care about winning, but I don’t think the conference places much weight in “a couple nine win seasons” as a requirement for admission. Only two B1G teams have averaged 9 wins a year for the past ten years - Ohio State and Wisconsin - and only four more averaged 8 - Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan State. And you’ll notice those are traditional B1G teams (with the slight exception of Penn State who was added back in 1990). The teams they added via expansion since - Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska - all average 5 or less wins a year.

My point is that winning is not really a requirement for admission.
Hmmmm. I'm not arguing with your data, but when you have a bunch of solid teams in a conference, not everyone can be 10-2. And when you have a couple of 10-2 teams, you’re going to have a few 4-8 or 5-7 teams. This is probably a better discussion over beers because it can go in a lot of different directions with strong opinions everywhere.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It may seem that way, but it won't work out that way. I am making number up. I think they are realistic, but they are not based on accurate data. You would probably get the main ESPN channels for $25 per month. Then you would have to pay another $10 for the ACCN. Then if you want to watch GT play at Ole Miss, you would have to pay $10 per month for the SECN. Then if you want to watch GT play at Colorado, you would have to pay $10 for the Pac12 Network.

There was a movement to "unbundle" television subscriptions. That works well if you are only interested in content from one group. It doesn't work well if you are interested in content from multiple groups. People were upset about paying more than $100 per month for their TV subscription, but many are now paying more than $100 for various streaming services. The smart way to get around that has been to have a list of streaming services that you want to watch, subscribe to only one per month, and rotate the services every month. HBO has started removing content, which I believe is an attempt to stop people from subscribing one or two months a year and consuming all of the content in that month. I have heard some commentators talk about getting companies to work to "bundle" streaming content in order to lower the cost to the consumer.

Streaming appealed to people at first as a way to increase choice and reduce cost. It hasn't really worked out that way. The content providers will work to increase revenue instead of allowing it to decline. To the consumers, it appears as though there are opportunities to get better content at a lower cost, but it rarely works out that way in the end.
It’s my understanding that unbundling or being able to pick and choose your cable/streaming tv packages would require a change in federal legislation that will likely never occur due to the amount of money lobbyists from the industry ensuring that things stay the way they are. Fox news and Espn (and many others) would both be in big trouble if that change ever happens

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmm. I'm not arguing with your data, but when you have a bunch of solid teams in a conference, not everyone can be 10-2. And when you have a couple of 10-2 teams, you’re going to have a few 4-8 or 5-7 teams. This is probably a better discussion over beers because it can go in a lot of different directions with strong opinions everywhere.
I’m a big fan of alcohol and strong opinions! Always a good time. (y)

I think you’re both right to an extent. I certainly think you have to demonstrate that you can win at a lower level (real or perceived) before you are asked to step up. I don’t think that means consistent 9-10 win seasons, but it does mean that you have the capability to win 9-10 in any given year. There are important qualities / measurables in terms of value to a conference that are beyond the W/L metric, but given that this whole thing exploded because of football media revenue, you have to at least have the systems in place and demonstrate some level of competency / success.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Is CU headed to the Big 12, sounding like it is finally happening, looks like we may know pretty soon. I mention this because this could be the Dam breaker and a lot of other movement take place after this announcement. I'm not getting the impression it will involve the ACC, at least not yet. I'm more and more thinking the financial trouble with ESPN may be what ends up being the dam breaker for the ACC.

Last edited:

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m 26 and also hate sports shows when they aren’t showing sports. Older guys- has it always been arguing for the sake of arguing? Or is this more congruent with recent cringe/clickbait culture trends

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’m 26 and also hate sports shows when they aren’t showing sports. Older guys- has it always been arguing for the sake of arguing? Or is this more congruent with recent cringe/clickbait culture trends
No; when it started it was more highlights and replays, newsworthy items and analysis. It started to evolve into more personality driven shows and commentary, which was fun for while, until those personalities took over.
It has kind of followed the same path as our news media.... reporting the news isn’t enough. Now we have to push opinions and controversy. If we can’t find legit controversy, we will make it ourselves. If it bleeds it leads...
They believe it drives ratings apparently.... so we must be in the minority. :(