Concerns

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yeah you are right. I did a poor job of saying what I had in my minds eye. I was trying to describe what would be almost a roll out type play for him to read as he is on the run. I would imagine if any Tech QB starts a role out type run from under center the defense will read option because it's what we do.

Trust me this always worked on Playstation (y)

I guess I am just trying to say that there are things that can be done to teach Vad his options, no pun intended.

I do think he is overburdened right now focusing on the true option to think about receivers or progressions that's why we see him not even seeing or missing open WRs.
We scored a td against USC in the Sun Bowl on a play you describe. Vad rolled left opposite the Aback motion and had a run/throw option. He threw to Sims in the endzone.

:08 mark

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The first caught pass by Waller in the clemson game was an option fake. The whole line went right and Vad ran that way with the a-back and Waller slipped past his CB. The play worked so well we decided not to run it again - this is sarcasm, I really don't know why it wasn't run 2-3 more times in the game as it was always open. We will need that play and many more just like it against UGA next week. They are going to be in our backfield just like VPI and Clemson. Also didn't we used to run a B-back screen with Dwyer? Jail break the D-line and toss it over them - Godhigh might be the best to run that play this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The first caught pass by Waller in the clemson game was an option fake. The whole line went right and Vad ran that way with the a-back and Waller slipped past his CB. The play worked so well we decided not to run it again - this is sarcasm, I really don't know why it wasn't run 2-3 more times in the game as it was always open. We will need that play and many more just like it against UGA next week. They are going to be in our backfield just like VPI and Clemson. Also didn't we used to run a B-back screen with Dwyer? Jail break the D-line and toss it over them - Godhigh might be the best to run that play this year.
We had other short routes open all game long that Vad missed. I think we still could have run that route more and we probably did. It's hard to see everything when the cameras are focused on a play blown up in the backfield.

ToddM

If you look at the play Cheese posted you will also notice Bostic, who I think was the Right side A back, drug on a route through the middle of the end zone in the direction Lee was rolling to. He was wide open also. I can't see the WRs but the backside wide out also has to be open. The play side WR is/would be engaged in his normal option blocking in order to keep the appearance of a pitch coming.

This is exactly what we need to do in order to get Vad comfortable.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Vad will get better with repetition. Right now PJ is so focused correcting problems with the option, they are spending minimal time on the pass.