Concerns

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
- Talent level. I think watching the game last night the first thing that just could not be ignored is the talent gap between the two teams. I asked myself what guys on this team would start for Clemson....about all I could come up with is Attaochu and Thomas. CPJ talked about improving the depth when he got here...and I agree with him that he has done that. But our top end talent is wayyyy worse. We simply lack playmakers. Guys that make things happen when you need it, guys that can make a play. Tajh Boyd ate us alive last night...Simply seeing one on one and tossing it up. Majority of the time his playmakers did just that and made plays. Give credit to Boyd for some great throws but the WR's played great as well.

- Offense. It isn't just one position or player on offense, it is the whole thing. The OL is really sad to watch. Majority of the time we have 2 to 3 guys who do not even touch a player. They simply dive straight forward and hit the turf. At QB we have no decision making and you can just feel no confidence. Vad hesitates way too much and what worries me is that is isn't getting better from week to week. It is actually staying the same or even getting worse.

- Coaching. We have some coaches on the staff that CPJ really has to look at. I honestly had no idea how big of a loss Todd Monken was at the time....Then CPJ adds someone like Lamar Owens. I like Lamar, and really think he is starting to figure things out on the recruiting trail but in the coaching department I feel we made a huge downgrade. Mike Sewak...Really how is he still here? Not going to say much else on that subject. Dave Walkosky is really not a good special teams coach...we always are making boneheaded plays on special teams. How many times is it going to take to learn to not bring the ball out everytime if you are getting stuffed at the 10 or so yard line.

- Paul Johnson. This to me just does not feel or act like the same Paul Johnson we seen when he first came here. It is like he is a different person now...I really hope we can get the offense back to the 08 and 09 level.

Hope we can add more talent in this recruiting class and Paul Johnson gets this thing turned around...I know the defense did not play well last night but Ted Roof has really been a good hire so far.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
- Talent level. CPJ talked about improving the depth when he got here...and I agree with him that he has done that. But our top end talent is wayyyy worse. We simply lack playmakers.

- Offense. It isn't just one position or player on offense, it is the whole thing.

- Paul Johnson. This to me just does not feel or act like the same Paul Johnson we seen when he first came here. It is like he is a different person now...I really hope we can get the offense back to the 08 and 09 level.

These 3 things jump off the page to me. +1

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I really think the recruiting staff they have in place plus Ted will help bring in some talent. But I think the plays we were running last night in the passing game could really excite some of the kids we have been missing out on. Image Autry if he gets over the knee running those routes out of the a back position and getting the ball in the open field. I think Vad or Thomas could run those plays if we did it every game not every 4th game. Godhigh phase proven you can put up great numbers in this offense just need more real players to come in. I hope the line gets healthy next year I hate it for those guys can't miss that much practice time and play very good.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
- Coaching. We have some coaches on the staff that CPJ really has to look at. I honestly had no idea how big of a loss Todd Monken was at the time....Then CPJ adds someone like Lamar Owens. I like Lamar, and really think he is starting to figure things out on the recruiting trail but in the coaching department I feel we made a huge downgrade. Mike Sewak...Really how is he still here? Not going to say much else on that subject. Dave Walkosky is really not a good special teams coach...we always are making boneheaded plays on special teams. How many times is it going to take to learn to not bring the ball out everytime if you are getting stuffed at the 10 or so yard line.

I forget that not only are we breaking in two new quarterbacks this year, but we have a first year quarterbacks coach as well. It just makes me wonder if Bryan Cook being in his first year as a coach in a unique offensive system is slowing down our QB development at all. Just a thought. Who really knows unless you are inside the program?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Biggest concern I have: offensive line.

It's been an issue for the past three years. At this point, the coaches are asking them to do things that they can't do. For example, several times last night a pulling guard just couldn't get to their block on the edge fast enough and it wasn't like our guy was taking his time getting there.

Pass block: We need to do something about the pass blocking and give Vad time to think. Right now, he doesn't even have time to blink two times before he has to try to find an escape route.

Once we fix the issues up front, the other issues won't be as glaring.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

It's been an issue for the past three years. At this point, the coaches are asking them to do things that they can't do. For example, several times last night a pulling guard just couldn't get to their block on the edge fast enough and it wasn't like our guy was taking his time getting there.

Pass block: We need to do something about the pass blocking and give Vad time to think. Right now, he doesn't even have time to blink two times before he has to try to find an escape route.

100% agree.

I understand Vad having some mistakes this year and struggling at times...he is a 1st time starter. I'm fine with that. But our OL struggling still is a major concern.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Our offensive line recruiting has been fairly good. Has Coach Sewak been the OL coach since CPJ came here? If so. Where does one start to fix the OL?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
The Greatest indictment in my mind is that honestly last night I didn't care. I wasn't into the game. I hardly cheered. My younger sons were the ones sitting there screaming and I just sat there staring blankly. Maybe its because I have watched the OL whiff on their blocks for 3 years now, or a GT QB run for his life over and over again, or when the QB does pass, its absolutely horrible. Deep down I have lost the belief that these things, which are so obvious, to so many fans and football commentators, aren't going to get better under CPJ. I hope Mbob sees this, and I hope a change is made. I know the money is large, but I shudder at what it is going to cost Tech to keep Johnson as the interest level of our football team steadily goes downhill.

I still love the jackets, but I find myself being occupied with other things.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Our offensive line recruiting has been fairly good. Has Coach Sewak been the OL coach since CPJ came here? If so. Where does one start to fix the OL?

Yes. Although we use to have two OL coaches with Spencer as the other one. He was the better coach but got himself fired for some violations.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Louis Young has played like crap...Anyone disagree? I didn't think so. However, I just don't think it is him alone. Our other DB's including Jemea on rare occasion are doing quite poorly.

I am not sold on Speed yet. Not calling for his head but I was hoping he was going to improve players like Young, Griffin, Demond, and White but I haven't seen it.

Sewak needs to go without a doubt!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes. Although we use to have two OL coaches with Spencer as the other one. He was the better coach but got himself fired for some violations.

Looking more and more like Spencer was carrying the other guy. It's almost to the point where it's unfair to judge Vad. The OL is an absolute mess.

They just don't execute anything effectively on a consistent basis. Let's face it, you don't have to be a 5-star olineman to be effective. You can be an "effort"-guy and still get the job done sufficiently. Hundreds of schools do it with "effort" guys so we don't have the talent excuse as far as I'm concerned. Every play, win or lose, we have OL fire off the line and hit no one. They literally hit NO ONE cut or drive blocking. Most times they'll pass the guy who ultimately makes the tackle, then stand off in space looking confused after literally touching no one. This is unacceptable and, to me, points directly, unequivocally to coaching.

We've discussed the OL coach many times here in terms of "why is he still here". The only explanation I've ever come up with is the OL coach is one of the guys CPJ trusts to relay in-game adjustments and such. To me we've flown past the point where the costs outweigh the benefits in that regard. Time to call Spencer up and let him know his penance has been served. CPJ has to unhitch his wagon from his friend for the sake of the program.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Louis Young has played like crap...Anyone disagree? I didn't think so. However, I just don't think it is him alone. Our other DB's including Jemea on rare occasion are doing quite poorly.

I am not sold on Speed yet. Not calling for his head but I was hoping he was going to improve players like Young, Griffin, Demond, and White but I haven't seen it.

Sewak needs to go without a doubt!

Larramore has been quite vocal on Speed and I don't think we've seen anything to cause us to disagree with his assessment. The DB's look confused too often. Sure they're backups but that's not an excuse at this point in the year. I can't comment on Young anymore. Too tired.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I don't know how much better DJ could've played last night. Those passes... I can't imagine any QB placing those passes any better than Tajh did last night.

This^^^

Also the 76yd pass and run I blame on the safety who didn't take the correct angle after the pass was complete and also because he didn't stay on top to begin with...

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how much better DJ could've played last night. Those passes... I can't imagine any QB placing those passes any better than Tajh did last night.

It's not that dj was out of position or playing the ball incorrectly, but watching the game and his position, it seemed as though a safety should have been over top.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I like roof but I did not like how Jamea was used last night. Would have liked to see him in coverage more as a corner or safety over the top

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the times you guys are referring to the safety not helping with dj we were in a zero blitz. Thus 1 on 1 coverage with no safety help in order to send 6 after the qb.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Very unimaginative game plan. Once I saw what we were trying to do offensively I knew we were doomed. Just ridiculously stubborn. I went to a networking mixer after the second quarter, I already knew the outcome.