Commitment

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Interesting point about Peters Parking Deck...when the land was deeded over to Georgia Tech, it was with the stipulation that it had to be used as a recreation area for the Tech students. That's why the top of the deck has all the play courts. When they built the parking deck, they had to accommodate the recreation aspect of the bequest.
I was thinking that but wasn't sure I remembered right. I remember all the cars that got flooded when first opened.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The sales pitch here is "use football don't let football use you". Not play video games for 3 years. GT has to sell what it has to sell and its not a 3 year football only party. I give a crap what happens to these kids after college. Part of the GT message is that the ones that stick it out are at least prepared for success. No one picks GT if they are only interested in playing football for 3 to 4 years. College should not be the best thing accomplished in life. Many who are factory kids better enjoy having their asses kissed for 4 years. Not many big boy slides in the real world. GT players want to win while here, more than anyone watching the games wants them to win.

"GT players want to win while here, more than anyone watching the games wants them to win" I have said it before but its worth repeating: Players play, coaches coach, and fans cheer, moan, complain about uniforms etc. As long as everyone stays in their lanes it is all good.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
"GT players want to win while here, more than anyone watching the games wants them to win" I have said it before but its worth repeating: Players play, coaches coach, and fans cheer, moan, complain about uniforms etc. As long as everyone stays in their lanes it is all good.

Well our fans have 2 and 3 down pat but still struggle with #1.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
My only disagreement here is that others have copied our '40 year decision' tagline. I think we should update it to the times and reflect the high percentage of wealthy Tech grads. Georgia Tech is a 25 year decision. Don't work for 40 years by getting a degree from a watered down University. Come to Tech where you can be overwhelmingly successful and retire in your upper 40s.
Not that I don't believe this, but would like to see some documented proof. As an aside, if Tech has a great number of wealthy alumni why don't they donate more money to the cause, why is Tech so behind in resources?

Deleted member 2897

Not that I don't believe this, but would like to see some documented proof. As an aside, if Tech has a great number of wealthy alumni why don't they donate more money to the cause, why is Tech so behind in resources?

Because one way to get wealthy is by not spending money on anything!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Interesting point about Peters Parking Deck...when the land was deeded over to Georgia Tech, it was with the stipulation that it had to be used as a recreation area for the Tech students. That's why the top of the deck has all the play courts. When they built the parking deck, they had to accommodate the recreation aspect of the bequest.

Thank you for posting. As I was reading through the thread, I was going to mention that part of the deed for PPD is that there must be a park on the property available to the public.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Replace the Peters parking deck next to the stadium with a 55 million dollar Football Only resort. Add a slide and putt-putt. Add a few majors to attract players who only want a path to the NFL. Free passes to the Chettah. I have lots of great ideals ;).

MANY years ago a Fraternity brother of mine, who became an architect, told me he offered to design an athletic dorm for GT to be built where Peters deck is located.

He said he was told one of the conditions for that land being donated all those many years ago was that it could not be strictly used by the Athletic Dept.

I never heard that before or since. No idea if true.

EDIT : Just saw above posts.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is what we are up against.

Facilities. Staff. Faculty support. Gulliver vs Lilliputians.

Tennessee has Top 5 facilities, and overwhelming fan and university support. And sucked big time. Tech has to play Moneyball ... and overcome the constraints. It is possible. But we’re never going to be Alabama.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The grand campus plan shown a while back was to tear the parking deck down and truly make it a park. Hasnt happened. Probably because they simply cant lose those spots yet.

The coaches lot that is gone now is no biggy. Coaches now park closer at the stadium and some in peters. Non issue

Gt football will never be a factory. And in times like these when its a arm race schools like gt struggle even more. Iiwii.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Dan Mullen just tweeted that he's gonna be opening another practice for fans because he loved the energy the fans brought. Would CPJ ever do something like this?

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

A lot of GT fans are super pessimistic. They are pessimistic about our chances of succeeding in football and whether their donation will make an impact.

We need to engage them so they feel like they are part of the program. That would help us overcome the 2 problems above.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I wish Tech Athletics’ YouTube channel would put forth more effort in highlight videos. Years back, they were done with effort and it was awesome. Music. Edits. 3-4 mins of highlights. Nowadays you get like 1 minute. Maybe 2. Seriously ? A whole game and I get 1 minute of highlights. Need to bring those days back.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Dan Mullen just tweeted that he's gonna be opening another practice for fans because he loved the energy the fans brought. Would CPJ ever do something like this?
You realize when CPJ 1st came here spring practices and scrimmages where open to everyone until about 6 or 7 years ago when fans were leaking info about injuries and making public videos of practice, right.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I was thinking that but wasn't sure I remembered right. I remember all the cars that got flooded when first opened.
I think that there is a significant storm sewer under Peters Park. PP is a topographic drainage ditch. The land on either side falls towards it. Rose Bowl field...same thing. The pipe runs towards 14th St. and beyond. Does anyone remember late spring of 1993 when a giant rain storm came through Atl overnight? A huge hole opened up behind the Marriott (?) hotel at 14th St and the Connector and swallowed a couple of cars. That was the storm drain pipe under Peters Park. I've also heard it actually originates south of BDS and runs under it.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I think that there is a significant storm sewer under Peters Park. PP is a topographic drainage ditch. The land on either side falls towards it. Rose Bowl field...same thing. The pipe runs towards 14th St. and beyond. Does anyone remember late spring of 1993 when a giant rain storm came through Atl overnight? A huge hole opened up behind the Marriott (?) hotel at 14th St and the Connector and swallowed a couple of cars. That was the storm drain pipe under Peters Park. I've also heard it actually originates south of BDS and runs under it.

Yes about the massive drain pipe. I was enrolled in the early sixties. During a summer afternoon rain storm Peters Park filled up and flooded the cars parked on each side of what was then the tennis courts and basketball courts. Students were able to swim at the level of the basketball goals and climb on top of the backboards for a dive into the 10 foot water. Our car was parked on the adjacent street to the park and was full of water up to the outside door handles. At one point that sewer under the park got so pressurized that a massive steel lid about 4 feet in diameter blew straight up about 15 feet leaving a massive geyser to continue to flood the park. After the rain stopped the park drained in about an hour. It was an incredible site to behold. I had track class stationed at the old Armory and all this happened in the time span of a class.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
You realize when CPJ 1st came here spring practices and scrimmages where open to everyone until about 6 or 7 years ago when fans were leaking info about injuries and making public videos of practice, right.
So he can't have 1 or 2 open practices a year to the fans? What a joke

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
So he can't have 1 or 2 open practices a year to the fans? What a joke
johnson thinks that spies from other teams may watch and figure out the TO. Hell, he's only been running the same plays for the last 10 seasons. It's not like he is going to change anything like putting in a few pass plays.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
johnson thinks that spies from other teams may watch and figure out the TO. Hell, he's only been running the same plays for the last 10 seasons. It's not like he is going to change anything like putting in a few pass plays.

Your trying to be a smart ***, but uga specifically prepared for a throwback to JT in 2016, a play we had never ran to him and the last time it was ran was 2014 to tim byerly with that specific version being ran in 2012.

when you do run a small number of plays the wrinkles you add are important.