Commitment

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Why? I don't give a crap what our guys choose to do after leaving college.

Some will succeed beyond imagination, some will fail.

Up to them. That is real life.

I want them to win while here. That is why they play the game.

Life gives no guarantees.

1. They are STUDENT athletes, receiving a top flight education while playing football. They are not playing for your personal entertainment.

2. The greatest selling point for GT is 40 years not 4. That is what they come to GT for.

3. This is College sports for young me to
play as they develop the skills for life after college. If you don’t give a damn about them there’re plenty of professional options to choose from.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
1. They are STUDENT athletes, receiving a top flight education while playing football. They are not playing for your personal entertainment.

2. The greatest selling point for GT is 40 years not 4. That is what they come to GT for.

play as they develop the skills for life after college. If you don’t give a damn about them there’re plenty of professional options to choose from.

If only this was consistent philosophy across all fans of all college teams...heck, probably even High School these days.

Deleted member 2897

My only disagreement here is that others have copied our '40 year decision' tagline. I think we should update it to the times and reflect the high percentage of wealthy Tech grads. Georgia Tech is a 25 year decision. Don't work for 40 years by getting a degree from a watered down University. Come to Tech where you can be overwhelmingly successful and retire in your upper 40s.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Replace the Peters parking deck next to the stadium with a 55 million dollar Football Only resort. Add a slide and putt-putt. Add a few majors to attract players who only want a path to the NFL. Free passes to the Chettah. I have lots of great ideals ;).
People actually pay to get in the Cheetah?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My only disagreement here is that others have copied our '40 year decision' tagline. I think we should update it to the times and reflect the high percentage of wealthy Tech grads. Georgia Tech is a 25 year decision. Don't work for 40 years by getting a degree from a watered down University. Come to Tech where you can be overwhelmingly successful and retire in your upper 40s.

Yeah I’m not fond of the 40 year decision tagline at all.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Replace the Peters parking deck next to the stadium with a 55 million dollar Football Only resort. Add a slide and putt-putt. Add a few majors to attract players who only want a path to the NFL. Free passes to the Chettah. I have lots of great ideals ;).

This raises another question: Do the Greeks have that much more clout than Football on campus? They literally took away the coaches parking lot to build a frat house.

Peters parking decking has always been a thought to build an athletic complex, but with fairly new North Ave dining hall I would like to take over Brittain and a dorm over there with pedestrian bridge connecting to the stadium.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
For real. Who wants to work until you're 60-something? Thats for the dwags.
Me. I'm a 63 year old second generation Tech grad. After 26 years in industry, my second career is as a high school math teacher and coach. I love it, and plan on 2 or 3 more years before I retire. Tech allowed me to work at something I actually like doing, so retiring early was not that attractive.

Deleted member 2897

Me. I'm a 63 year old second generation Tech grad. After 26 years in industry, my second career is as a high school math teacher and coach. I love it, and plan on 2 or 3 more years before I retire. Tech allowed me to work at something I actually like doing, so retiring early was not that attractive.

See, that's my definition of retirement exactly. Get out of the rat race, and then do something you actually love when money is no longer an issue. I'd love to teach some day when I hang up my...whatever it is I would hang up.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The sales pitch here is "use football don't let football use you". Not play video games for 3 years. GT has to sell what it has to sell and its not a 3 year football only party. I give a crap what happens to these kids after college. Part of the GT message is that the ones that stick it out are at least prepared for success. No one picks GT if they are only interested in playing football for 3 to 4 years. College should not be the best thing accomplished in life. Many who are factory kids better enjoy having their asses kissed for 4 years. Not many big boy slides in the real world. GT players want to win while here, more than anyone watching the games wants them to win.

Totally agree. We go after a different type of guy than the factories. Sometimes it’s the tough minded guys that would love to go to a factory but just don’t get their dream offer. (Keith Brooking’s first choice was uga I believe. He didn’t get their offer and was a stud for us).

But our fans who complain of not signing 5 Star guys need to understand that they are typically drawn to Clemson and all of their trappings rather than us. Large portion of our fan base thinks recruits should see Tech from their own eyes rather than the eyes of a 17yo who thinks college is just their stepping stone to the NFL. We won’t beat the Clemson’s of the world for those recruits 99.99999% of the time. We will beat them with undervalued recruits who work harder.

It would be nice if our faculty supported our SAs more rather than punish them because they don’t consider them to be real students. Maybe this has changed recently but from what I’ve heard it is still an issue.

And it would be nice if our staff was...maybe 1/4 what Clemson has.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I get depressed when I see these things.

“The Process” was great and gave insight on our program and who CPJ really is as a person

Can we bring it back because this is a great recruiting tool.

Interestingly.....I just got invited to Faculty/Staff spring practice day at UF. I'm taking my son and two of my nephews. Do we do this at GT?

crut

Helluva Engineer
This raises another question: Do the Greeks have that much more clout than Football on campus? They literally took away the coaches parking lot to build a frat house.

Peters parking decking has always been a thought to build an athletic complex, but with fairly new North Ave dining hall I would like to take over Brittain and a dorm over there with pedestrian bridge connecting to the stadium.
Wasn't that just a pay lot? Pretty sure I've parked there several times and just had a pay a bit to do so.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When our rectuits at games near them could tech alumni go to games and show the colors.

J Thomas 2018 DB recruit from niceville in pensacola for east panhandle verse west panhandle . At end of game gave him a shout out - hey yellow jackets- coach andy mac says u are thruohh with basketball - welcome to the flats young man. He got big hi fives from guys next to him.

What if gtaa monitored games recruits are playing in and emailed alumni in area codes near by - show the colors !!
Oh, thats takes effort.

By way J Thomas was not injured! He looks the part of a sideline to sideline lb -- neck , shoulders, and upper body like an upper class man.

20180316_204120.jpg
were our recruits are

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Oh yes, I am on board on all those ideas. Pencil neck geeks worried about the value of their degrees be damned. TIC Don't get excited.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

The reference to Peters Park reminds me of a Tech / Clemson game my dad took me to in the early 1960s in which the game was a rather boring one as I dimly recall with Tech winning pretty easily but the real excitement was a post game brawl between members of the respective schools' bands that broke out in the vicinity of Peters Park. My dad thought it was pretty funny but my mother was not amused. I was too busy thinking about going to the Varsity for a Varsity Orange and two dogs walking to remember much of it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The alcohol and extra ticket sales in the renovated stadium with The "Stinger Grill and Bar" in the upper north viewing deck would pay for it .
Interesting point about Peters Parking Deck...when the land was deeded over to Georgia Tech, it was with the stipulation that it had to be used as a recreation area for the Tech students. That's why the top of the deck has all the play courts. When they built the parking deck, they had to accommodate the recreation aspect of the bequest.