Coming to New Orleans?

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
If you're out that way I'd just go to Rocky and Carlo's, but I wouldn't necessarily make that my po boy stop. You may be talking about Troy's though, which is definitely good.

Also, prof is trying to hide Brigtsen's from your prying eyes, but don't let him. That place is fabulous and maybe a mile and a half walk from the new stadium.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
NOLA is an incredible city, maybe my favorite in the US. The culture of one of the oldest cities in the new world is readily apparent, but at the same time people walking down the street look each other in the eye and exchange greetings. I've never encountered so many friendly people genuinely proud of their city. I went there on my honeymoon just a month and a half ago, and once we made it clear we were interested in the real NOLA and not Bourbon street tourist crap everyone was really nice and shared their favorite things. Heck, a pharmacist at the CVS we went to for my wife's allergy medicine took 20 mins to lay out the best 3 options in like eight categories of things.

I'd add that any of ya'll southerners really ought to try the creole food. It's incredibly familiar, but different and wonderful. An example: crowder peas stewed with okra as, I think, a thickening agent. I'd suggest finding the praline connection. Get the meatloaf- it's like meatloaf and a bowl of gumbo all at the same time. That place also has amazing pralines, which you should be eating a lot of.

Tujague's is a really awesome, 100 year old restaurant right off Jackson Square. Go there because it's beautiful and because the beef with horseradish is both not what you'd think and really, really good.

Also I'd strongly encourage you to check out Frenchman street. Most places there aren't super strict Jazz like you'll get at preservation hall, but it is all really good and some of it's pretty darn interesting.

For what it's worth, I had a supremely wonderful experience at Antoine's.

New Orleans has the same culture of a cosmopolitan South that Atlanta (at our best, at least) does. I think any Tech man or woman will find the place very comfortable.

waveprof

Georgia Tech Fan
For what it's worth, I had a supremely wonderful experience at Antoine's.

That is really, really, really good to hear. At their best Antoine's is a museum of food that is amazing and as culturally important to our nation as anything at any museum or historic site (and should be respected and protected just as much). I hope they can find the consistency the've lacked the last five years or so, because it really is an amazing place.

New Orleans has the same culture of a cosmopolitan South that Atlanta (at our best, at least) does. I think any Tech man or woman will find the place very comfortable.

Awww shucks. Thanks so much.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
You asked if I have questions, I am a bit curious about your QB. I know you had the guy transfer out a year ago, and that is (oddly) the position I've studied up the least about with GT. Do you like your guy?
Young but best since Paul Johnson has been here. Yes we like him and have a back up as good but different and not much game experience. Many of us feel this could be a special year. As always injuries play a huge part in team success and we will know more after Saturday.

Thanks for your friendly and informative posts.

waveprof

Georgia Tech Fan
waveprof: is columns hotel still uptown? that is a cool place to have a drink.
Yes it is. And they have happy hour on Fridays for crazy cheap with live music. I don't know why I didn't have that on the list.

Only knock is the clientelle has gotten VERY preppy of late. But still well worth visiting.

And while whining about clientelle, the Avenue Pub vibe has gotten VERY hipster-ie of late. The food has also slipped. Still good beer selection though.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Been to Herbsaint and it was delicious! Just throwing my $0.02 out there.

EDIT: Thanks, waveprof, for stopping by! Great info.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I'll be too intoxicated by just being back on campus for the first time in my lifetime (I'm curtailing any tailgate drinking because of the heat). Usually the game is top dog for me. For once, it isn't.

That said (and I mean this nicely, I'm not the message board jack---, just trying to give my honest perspective) if I were laying money down on an even money bet, I'd lean Tulane. Not because I think we are great (we're not "there" yet) and not because I don't think you all are any good (I actually think you are better than a lot of your own fans seem to think you are).....but because I think we match up extremely well. For instance, we play Duke two weeks after you. I think you are a better team than Duke this year, but I am far, far more worried about that game from a TU perspective than I am GT. I went to VMI undergrad so I've seen a lot of triple option. Our speed on defense matches up well, and our secondary (based on last year, not last week) is a you-better-not-throw type of secondary (even for a passing team). I think our speed will make it difficult for you to stretch the field left to right running, and if you fall back on throwing.....watch out. Meanwhile, I think our passing game will have success. If our two biggest DL hadn't graduated, I'd be downright confident. But with them gone, it should be a good game. I will say this, if you get ahead early, you could STOMP us. Our team is young and fragile IMO.

You asked if I have questions, I am a bit curious about your QB. I know you had the guy transfer out a year ago, and that is (oddly) the position I've studied up the least about with GT. Do you like your guy?

Absolutely love our QB Justin Thomas...he's small but the kid can fly. He's so quick...had a great week passing first game 11-15 282 yards and 2 TDs.

He will be making his first career road start.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Been to Peche (dinner), Patty O's (drinks twice), and Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop (drinks once). The latter is the oldest bar in America, no? All are solid in my book. Thanks for the long list of recommendations!

waveprof

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for all the great info, waveprof. I'm curious, though, does your fanbase have a vocal segment that bitches and moans all the time about no longer being in the SEC like ours does?
Yes, but now that we are re-entering a relatively major conference, it is mostly only the old guard who does that. When we were bouncing around an ever shrinking Conference USA with an administration that wasn't investing in sports, the SEC whining was more consistent. Now that we are investing and moving up, you hear it less. And, in honesty, I think most of our fans would rather be in the ACC or B12 than the SEC. And most of us aren't "upset" about the American. If the American keeps going the direction its going, I'm not too worried about it being left out long run. But CUSA/Sunbelt/MAC are all heading fast toward total irrelevancy (and MWC may not be far behind).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@waveprof thanks for your contribution

Y'all had a stiff rush D last year, but you haven't had much of a tradition of that in recent years. It wasn't as stout against Tulsa this past weekend. I wonder if the loss of DTs will end up being a bigger deal than you suspect.

My take is that in recent years we've had relatively open running lanes or relatively open receivers, 1 on disadvantaged 1 or 1 on none. We haven't had the qb/receivers to reliably exploit disadvantaged DBs in the past. Our QB on Saturday was able to do that better than previous QBs, even against weaker defenses.

It will be interesting to see how this aspect of our game develops over the season.

Our defense has not been very good over the last few years, but it seems to me that yall's offense has been worse. But, I guess that's why we play the games.

waveprof

Georgia Tech Fan
AE 87, I would agree with everything you said, but I'd also say this:
Our D last year was, watching in person, amazing good on rush AND pass. But the two do play off each other. And it could very well be that the loss of the two DT's costs us more than we'd like to think (and that the crazy good rush defense helped set up the pass defense). The Tulsa game would certainly be good evidence of that. That said, a whole bunch of Tulsa's passing yards came on a couple of ridiculously bad coverage plays, one of which by our all american DB. I don't see the secondary being AS bad week to week. Meanwhile, the biggest improvements in our D (over the previous D's that had been very bad) are 1) our speed, which is even better this year than last, and light years ahead of where we were even two years ago and 2) our co-DCs, who are still here calling the shots. Most important to me is the team speed though. I think that is why we match up so well with georgia tech on defense. Even if our D does regress this year, I think we have a good shot to look good this weekend based on scheme.

As for our O, it has been bad, and it still isn't great. But as you yourself say your D isn't all that strong. Meanwhile, part of my optimism comes from the REASONS our O has been bad. We've had really good RB's every year (actually we've in theory taken a step back this year, although Badie's first game gives us hope). We've always had at least one NFL type WR on roster. What has held us back on O the past 5-6 years is a SUPER horrendous OL and mediocre (at best) QB play. As I said elsewhere, our OL still isn't great. But it's much better than it was last year, and last year it was much better than the year before. Meanwhile at QB we have a RSFreshman that all reports (media, coaches, fans) seem to suggest is going to be a MAJOR QB. He is, skill wise, far and away better than Griffin IMO, and Griffin is with the Saints nowadays. He may make some freshman mistakes (and if he makes many this weekend you'll stomp us) but he's the real deal. And since the only things that have really held us back on O have been the OL and QB......that is why we have reason to hope. In particular because we think your secondary is ripe for the picking. We'll see how that plays out.

I'll say this. If you get up fairly big early, you'll win in a landslide. If it stays close, I really like our chances.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
GT (undergrad) and Tulane (med) combo alum here... Season ticket holder at Tulane starting this year.

Great post! I would add a few more uptown places to the list of tasty things near the stadium:

Plum street snowballs
Jaques-Imo's
Crabby Jacks po-boys
Tartine
Cote sud

I agree on Brigtsen's and Boucherie

Also GT is going to lay the smack down on Tulane.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
What will be the best way to get from the French Quarter to Yulman on gameday? (not driving). What is the tailgating scene like on campus? How easy is it to flask in?
Thanks!

waveprof

Georgia Tech Fan
What will be the best way to get from the French Quarter to Yulman on gameday? (not driving). What is the tailgating scene like on campus? How easy is it to flask in?
Thanks!
St Charles Streetcar to campus, walk across campus. You'll be walking right through the tailgate section that way.

Hard to say on the tailgate scene because this is game 1, but if the rain stays away I expect it to be big. And I know it includes food and beer trucks.

Flasking in at tailgate is easy, you can drink (just no glass).

Flasking at the game might be tough (first game) but inside you can buy beer, daiquiris, and margaritas