Coming soon to GT: Corporate sponsorships and new names for football field and basketball gym

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we had a triple name for basketball briefly: McDonalds Cremins Court @ AMC or such.

Wonder what the $$$ of that one looked like, though; either the AA or McDs didn't keep it into the later 2000s.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Why hasn’t this been made a poll
I want as much money as possible for the future but curious how many cherish the history more.

As I have said in the past, I consider myself a Traditionalist. Even with recent changes, I still believe college football is a tradition bound sport.

I don't believe we should make any changes to BD@HGF. Surely, money can be found from other sources.

I believe some of our members will like the attached description of Grant Field contained in "Rising Tide" by Randy Roberts(Purdue) and Ed Krzemienski(Ball State).
This paragraph is Part of the description of their 1964 Tech-Bama game.

Attachments

• Grant Field.pdf
    249.6 KB · Views: 62

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it's going to matter. Those that care are going to call it Grant Field or Bobby Dodd Stadium. I was in school when they named it Bobby Dodd Stadium, so that tradition is only 30-something years old. There will be signage, but I doubt even the commentators/broadcasters will spend much time on a new name. How many people care that it's Truist Park? MB Stadium? It will always be Grant Field to GT people. No one else really calls it anything other than Bobby Dodd Stadium unless they're a history person. Much ado about nothing.

LoalCody

Georgia Tech Fan
I know this may sound crazy, but what about Norfolk Southern. Literally right across the street, fairly new to the area since the move from Norfolk and lets face it they need the good press since everything earlier this year. I work there and can see inside the stadium daily. Plus with the almost weekly visits from students with guided tours it seems like there is already a somewhat working relationship between NS and Tech. IDK just seems like a logical idea at 5am.

Last edited:

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I know this may sound crazy, but what about Norfolk Southern. Literally right across the street, fairly new to the area since the move from Norfolk and lets face it they need the good press since everything earlier this year. I work there and can see inside the stadium daily. Plus with the almost weekly visits from students with guided tours it seems like there is already a somewhat working relationship between NS and Tech. IDK just seems like a logical idea at 5am.
Train Wreck Stadium... pun intended

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
bittersweet. it hurts that Grant Field will be no more, but 55M dollars is a deal, and we need the money.
As others have alluded to, it will always be Grant Field to most of us. Just a temporary blip. Unfortunately for me, I'll be either in the Decatur Cemetery or the Honey Creek Woodlands in 20 years.