Collins report card after 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I did an analysis earlier this week. We scored 239 points this year and gave up 368. Penalty yardage alone was worth 49.5 points. In other words, with some discipline, the outcome would have been more like 288.5:318.5 and possibly resulted in 1-2 more wins with the same players.

The only game I can directly lay at the foot of penalties was the Citadel last year. We consistently kept them on the field with stupid personal fouls.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I agree that the W-L record wouldn’t be great, but ... a Saban team wouldn’t finish near the bottom of FBS (124th) in Fewest Penalties and Turnover Margin (110th). To be competitive at this stage, you have to exploit everything under your control and did we? I don’t think so.

I did an analysis earlier this week. We scored 239 points this year and gave up 368. Penalty yardage alone was worth 49.5 points. In other words, with some discipline, the outcome would have been more like 288.5:318.5 and possibly resulted in 1-2 more wins with the same players.
How did you arrive at penalty yardage = points!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

NCSU had four first downs via GT penalties. Of those 4, two were on a drive that produced 3 points, where the other two ended up not costing us. Considering the margin of victory, I can't blame penalties for the loss to NCSU.

**To clarify, I am referring to penalties that extend other teams drives and allow them to score. Until we are able to consistently move the ball and score, I will not assume our false starts, etc., are the sole reason for a lack of offensive success.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
NCSU had four first downs via GT penalties. Of those 4, two were on a drive that produced 3 points, where the other two ended up not costing us. Considering the margin of victory, I can't blame penalties for the loss to NCSU.

**To clarify, I am referring to penalties that extend other teams drives and allow them to score. Until we are able to consistently move the ball and score, I will not assume our false starts, etc., are the sole reason for a lack of offensive success.
Two first and goal false starts, are: penalty yards = points!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Bill Parcells did studies on
Bill Parcells did studies on this.
Found a study based on a Parcells quote that 100 yards of offense should equal 7 points. The study did show that to be approx. true. But 100 hidden yards (penalty yards + returns) was worth only 3. Still need to cut down on penalties but this might explain why some really good teams can get by with lots of penalties. Also have remember it’s based on the NFL so not sure how it translates to college.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It really depends on the criteria. If we’re solely grading on wins and losses, Collins isn’t looking too good, but I don’t think that’s a great metric. I think our team improved a lot from last year, just not enough to make a difference in the win totals. And if all we want is to maximize number of wins, then the correct strategy would be to completely overlook every opponent we don’t think we can beat and put in the backups for the entire Clemson, ND, and georgie games to protect the starters for the games we can actually win. I don’t know about y’all, but that’s not something I want to see. Collins has made it pretty clear that he wants to win games but that his primary goal is to make the team as good at playing football as he can. “Trust the process, and the wins will come.” I give Collins a B-/C+ because I see good improvement in execution in plenty of facets of the game and no significant regression (except maybe in kicking). I’m also grading him on a curve because, let’s be honest, it doesn’t matter how a Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, Pete Carroll, etc. would have done. They would never have taken the job in the first place. I think Collins could have done a little better with clock management and teaching pre-snap discipline, but apart from those, I’m not sure there’s much that any other candidates could have done better to make us a better team. The recruiting will pay off long term, and we’ll be better able to judge development in a year or two. Thank goodness we didn’t hire Whisenhunt!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
“Trust the process, and the wins will come.”

The “Process” is a Saban term used to explain the psychology of winning. Do your best to execute every play PERFECTLY and the wins will come.

We have a long way to go before we say we are executing plays perfectly.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The “Process” is a Saban term used to explain the psychology of winning. Do your best to execute every play PERFECTLY and the wins will come.

We have a long way to go before we say we are executing plays perfectly.
Sometimes, I regret to say, it is hard to say we are executing plays, period.

We will not crack into the elite status under Geoff Collins. We might get back to the 7 wins a year and a bowl game that fans enjoyed under O'leary, Gailey, and Johnson.

But honestly I am think we avg around 5 wins a year with another round of "better talant"... Of course the issue isn't the SA, it is coaching...Until CGC can coach the boys up I am not sure how he wins more than 5 a year...
Bump! It is time to unban GTFLETCH for calling the Geoff Collins era what it was...

So glad this is Geoff Collins last year on the Flats

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bump! It is time to unban GTFLETCH for calling the Geoff Collins era what it was...

So glad this is Geoff Collins last year on the Flats
Richard, you appear to be new to this site. I have no idea who or what GTFLETCH is or was but I can assure you that he or she was not banned for criticizing our coach. On the very first page is a thread, probably at or near the top, that was is currently over 40+ pages calling for the firing of Coach Collins. I don't think there are many (if any) complimentary posts in that thread. So, as a newer poster, feel free to criticize but do familiarize yourself with our other policies re: posting. The failure to either read, acknowledge or comply with those are what cause people to voluntarily or involuntarily leave GTSwarm.

And I tend to agree with @Jacketman99 above...barring losing the next 2 or 3 in a row, he will be back next year. Why? $$$ or lack thereof. Probably sacrifice a few assistants to appease the mob but I don't think he is going away this year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Unless you have a few million to donate this will not be Collins last year on the flats.
Do donor's that have that kind of money really want to let our AD make another hire? He got snookered big time by this one. Seven years was outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.