Collins report card after 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Did we improve on anything other than offense this year? According to rankings:

Total Offense: 127th to 72nd (Good improvement)
Scoring offense: 124th to 94th (Decent improvement)
Total Defense: 89th to 111th (Regressed)
Scoring Defense: 103rd to 110th (Regressed)
Turnover Margin: 93rd to 110th (Regressed)
Penalties: 15th to 116th (Horrible regression)
Field Goals: 130th to 123rd (same percentage made, only made 3 each year)
Wins: 3 to 3 ( although I guess its a better percentage ).

I mean yes as I just explained. We were much more competitive this year, and in 7 of 10 games we either won or within 1 score in the fourth quarter. We were wholly uncompetitive last year.

Also don’t forget our defensive stats are completely thrashed by Clemson and UCF. Doesn’t make our stats good if you remove them, but we’re much closer to the middle of the conference without those 2 games.

Jmonty71

Banned
Collins is over his head... He talks a big game and can't back it up. Sure, he can recruit.. Yay.... But, he can't coach worth a flip. We have a Mark Ritch at GT.... Hope he can find some good coordinators, so hide his lack of ability. Just need a really good OC and DC. If Collins is smart, he'll do that, this off season. Just my 2 cents... I am not a fan of Collins. When I see/hear him. It's someone that spouts words that came from some Marketing meeting. He says the same crap over and over. High level this... High level that.... ATL this... ATL that... Guess what??? I DON"T CARE!!! I want to see RESULTS, not lame excuses and more rehearsed statements. So, I stick to my first grade. A B for recruiting... The talent has gotten better. A F for actual coaching. His players are unprepared. The offense is shaky, the defense is swiss cheese... He is lacking in that area. I don't think he can coach, personally nor game manage.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins is over his head... He talks a big game and can't back it up. Sure, he can recruit.. Yay.... But, he can't coach worth a flip. We have a Mark Ritch at GT.... Hope he can find some good coordinators, so hide his lack of ability. Just need a really good OC and DC. If Collins is smart, he'll do that, this off season. Just my 2 cents... I am not a fan of Collins. When I see/hear him. It's someone that spouts words that came from some Marketing meeting. He says the same crap over and over. High level this... High level that.... ATL this... ATL that... Guess what??? I DON"T CARE!!! I want to see RESULTS, not lame excuses and more rehearsed statements. So, I stick to my first grade. A B for recruiting... The talent has gotten better. A F for actual coaching. His players are unprepared. The offense is shaky, the defense is swiss cheese... He is lacking in that area. I don't think he can coach, personally nor game manage.
Not by a long shot - Richt averaged 10 wins a season for 15 years and won 65% in bowl games. Collins hasn't shown a whiff of that yet. I do agree with most of the rest of your post, I think he is a cringey try-hard who hasn't yet had the success to allow for the silliness.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
2 grades

B for recruiting

F for game management and in game coaching.

He talks a big game, but can't back it up.

taking my mod hat off as your posts are entirely in bounds, but you just made a post above that said exactly the same thing. The idea that repeating something over and over must make it the truth seems too common nowadays.

FWIW, you may be right about the guy. But your feelings are duly noted. And on record. You can rest now. We hear you.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
You are throwing an impressive temper tantrum across multiple threads.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Did we improve on anything other than offense this year? According to rankings:

Total Offense: 127th to 72nd (Good improvement)
Scoring offense: 124th to 94th (Decent improvement)
Total Defense: 89th to 111th (Regressed)
Scoring Defense: 103rd to 110th (Regressed)
Turnover Margin: 93rd to 110th (Regressed)
Penalties: 15th to 116th (Horrible regression)
Field Goals: 130th to 123rd (same percentage made, only made 3 each year)
Wins: 3 to 3 ( although I guess its a better percentage ).

Looking at rankings is somewhat misleading this year due to the high variance in teams and schedules compared to normal. Otherwise, last year we had two games against Citadel and Temple that we didn't really have comparable games this year due to covid.

Offensively we improved by a good bit. That is just plain to see so there really isn't much point in talking about it.

Defensively. We went from averaging giving up 32.4 ppg last year to 36.8 ppg this year. Without the two games against USF and Citadel though (since there really were no comparable games this year) that number is 35.2 which at that level basically comes down to how bad a mood Dabo is on the day we have to play them. Another factor to consider here, although I don't have the numbers so I can't say for certain, is that we might have had more drives this year due to pace of play by our offense. More drives leads to more scoring opportunity, so we would have to look at things like ppd to get a feel of that. Overall we still weren't by any means good or even average, but I'm not sure we really got a whole lot worse this year in that regard.

For total defense, we basically remained the exact same in yards per play (.03 difference). We just had more plays, likely because we were pushing the tempo more on offense. That affects the overall defense, and it wouldn't surprise me if we took out the two OOC "easy" (yes I know) games, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a decent upgrade in that area. We were significantly worse in big plays allowed allowing basically an extra 20 yard play every game. However, that combined with the increased TO numbers we saw paints this year as being more of a boom or bust defense than last year. That is backed by an almost equal increase in tfl this year.

Defensively, I don't really think we really regressed.

For turnovers we gained 1.8 per game this year compared to 1.33 per game last year so we saw an uptick there. We lost 2.5 per game this year compared to 1.67 per game last year. Probably both of those changes are effected by the effects of Covid on team preparation making turnovers more likely. What is interesting is in the last 7 games we had just 13 turnovers so that rate would be 1.86. Obviously that is a bit of a cherry pick but it isn't really excluding any overly good turnover teams I don't think. Keep in mind, we had about 10 more plays per game this year than last year which would basically account for the .2 difference between last year and the last 7 games. I'd say we got worse to start the year but by the end we were pretty similar on turnovers as last year.

Special teams were special both years. With coverage teams okay, kicking bad, and Harvin being Harvin.

I'd say we made significant improvements on O with minor changes if any to defense and special teams, although I think defense changed a good bit it was more of a side grade than anything else.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at rankings is somewhat misleading this year due to the high variance in teams and schedules compared to normal. Otherwise, last year we had two games against Citadel and Temple that we didn't really have comparable games this year due to covid.

Offensively we improved by a good bit. That is just plain to see so there really isn't much point in talking about it.

Defensively. We went from averaging giving up 32.4 ppg last year to 36.8 ppg this year. Without the two games against USF and Citadel though (since there really were no comparable games this year) that number is 35.2 which at that level basically comes down to how bad a mood Dabo is on the day we have to play them. Another factor to consider here, although I don't have the numbers so I can't say for certain, is that we might have had more drives this year due to pace of play by our offense. More drives leads to more scoring opportunity, so we would have to look at things like ppd to get a feel of that. Overall we still weren't by any means good or even average, but I'm not sure we really got a whole lot worse this year in that regard.

For total defense, we basically remained the exact same in yards per play (.03 difference). We just had more plays, likely because we were pushing the tempo more on offense. That affects the overall defense, and it wouldn't surprise me if we took out the two OOC "easy" (yes I know) games, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a decent upgrade in that area. We were significantly worse in big plays allowed allowing basically an extra 20 yard play every game. However, that combined with the increased TO numbers we saw paints this year as being more of a boom or bust defense than last year. That is backed by an almost equal increase in tfl this year.

For turnovers we gained 1.8 per game this year compared to 1.33 per game last year so we saw an uptick there. We lost 2.5 per game this year compared to 1.67 per game last year. Probably both of those changes are effected by the effects of Covid on team preparation making turnovers more likely. What is interesting is in the last 7 games we had just 13 turnovers so that rate would be 1.86. Obviously that is a bit of a cherry pick but it isn't really excluding any overly good turnover teams I don't think. Keep in mind, we had about 10 more plays per game this year than last year which would basically account for the .2 difference between last year and the last 7 games. I'd say we got worse to start the year but by the end we were pretty similar on turnovers as last year.

Special teams were special both years. With coverage teams okay, kicking bad, and Harvin being Harvin.

I'd say we made significant improvements on O with minor changes if any to defense and special teams, although I think defense changed a good bit it was more of a side grade than anything else.
Good points. I’ll add that I think the DL improved while the backend regressed.

We weren’t great on the DL by any means, but some of the young DEs made it possible for us to get pressure with 4 this year which never happened last year.

Don’t know what happened to Ryans but he basically didn’t play after balling out against FSU. Dominick balled out when he was able to play. Clayton played well when in. Ivey and Kennard showed promise as well.

If we can get some help in the middle, our DL has a chance to be solid.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I mean yes as I just explained. We were much more competitive this year, and in 7 of 10 games we either won or within 1 score in the fourth quarter. We were wholly uncompetitive last year.

Also don’t forget our defensive stats are completely thrashed by Clemson and UCF. Doesn’t make our stats good if you remove them, but we’re much closer to the middle of the conference without those 2 games.
Im not sure that saying if we remove the two toughest games on defense then our defense might be close to average is a great selling point. Frankly, we are lucky that we got UNC and UGA off of the schedule this year. That would have been two more games we would have had to not include in comparisons.

Deleted member 2897

Georgia Tech: 3-7

Florida State: 2-6 (one of the largest football budgets in the country)
Louisville: 3-7 (another large football budget)
Penn State: 3-5 (preseason #8)
Michigan: 2-4 (preseason #15)
Michigan State: 2-5 (first losing season in 4 years)
Cal: 1-3 (8 wins last year)
LSU: 4-5 (defending champs, preseason #4)
Tennessee: 3-6 (5 less wins than last year)
South Carolina: 2-8 (one of a few coaching casualties)
Mississippi State: 2-7 (first time below 6 wins in over a decade)

A lot of big time programs who spend a lot of money weren't happy this year either.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
They lower expectations for him because all they have to hold onto is style over substance. That's all he's got - style. He's coaching at a perfect time in history where that works for a lot of people. Meanwhile, his substance is a mere 2 middling years at a G5 school - not mentioning the historic records of futility he's breathtakingly accrued in a whopping 2 years here.
I share part of your concerns, but I think it's important to give credit to his success as a coordinator, there's no denying he can coach defense.

I, unlike many on here, view the 7 year contract not because he is inheriting a rebuild (cause it's not but that's a completely different arguement), but because it's 7 years for Collins to grow into a head coach. Like it or not, that's what we have and there will be no head coaching changes made anytime soon. His marketing approach also aligned with what TSTAN has liked to do historically. And he wants to be here which is great.

Deleted member 2897

Im not sure that saying if we remove the two toughest games on defense then our defense might be close to average is a great selling point. Frankly, we are lucky that we got UNC and UGA off of the schedule this year. That would have been two more games we would have had to not include in comparisons.

Its probably not a good selling point. But I'm not selling anything. 😃 I'm just explaining things for perspective. Nobody else in the ACC played 2 of the top 6 scoring offenses in the country, and I don't think anybody else in the country did either. 5 ACC teams didn't play Clemson. 0 other teams played UCF. It just adds some context as a 'well how did we rank if not for X'.

Last edited by a moderator:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Incomplete is the only grade I can give. I think we haven’t seen enough to assign any kind of grade at this point and I say that as a huge CGC supporter from day 1 (and continuing to be a huge CGC supporter today).

I’m operating from the baseline that we did not have the right pieces on the line of scrimmage last year and this year to have any consistency of good play. I also feel like we didn’t have any QBs that fit and that our OC (for me the jury is still out but I saw some good things this year... and some not so good) isn’t flexible enough for his system to be morphed enough to the skill sets of existing players. I think that is something that separates good from great (Ralph was a great OC, CPJ was a great OC) and CDP I think can be good. This year we have a QB but he’s a true frosh playing behind an OL of players not suited to what we want to do though they are working hard and I appreciate that (I’m all in on Sims, BTW, I think he’s matured immensely since that first game and is going to be even better next year).

On defense i really don’t know where I stand on Thacker. I really like his fire but I have to say the jury is still out on him for me. I want to see more progress in a more normal circumstance than this past year with some of the kids he and CGC have brought in before I know how I feel one way or the other.

So an Incomplete is all I can offer and just say I need to see more.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia Tech: 3-7

Florida State: 2-6 (one of the largest football budgets in the country)
Louisville: 3-7 (another large football budget)
Penn State: 3-5 (preseason #8)
Michigan: 2-4 (preseason #15)
Michigan State: 2-5 (first losing season in 4 years)
Cal: 1-3 (8 wins last year)
LSU: 4-5 (defending champs, preseason #4)
Tennessee: 3-6 (5 less wins than last year)
South Carolina: 2-8 (one of a few coaching casualties)
Mississippi State: 2-7 (first time below 6 wins in over a decade)

A lot of big time programs who spend a lot of money weren't happy this year either.
On top of the money they spend, most of those schools have head coaches the haters on here would say would coach circles around Collins too.

Those same haters will probably make excuses for Novell, Satrerfield, Harbaugh, Orgeron...etc. All while still blindly ignoring all Collins had going against him in taking over GT.

Nobody is happy with not winning, but those of us with realistic expectations knew it was going to take time.

Frankly, I don't see that we improved this year. We had more yards on offense but roughly the same point production. We didn't lose to the Citadel but we are the lone win on Syracuse's schedule. The trashing from Clemson was embarrassing. Not focusing on the kicking game was just bad coaching.

Now that said, I look to next year to see where we are at. Collins will have his third recruiting class and his system should be fully in place. As I have stated the schedule is brutal so I don't expect 6 wins next year. If he can get 5 then I think we are improving. Of course the schedule the following year is not much better.

For those that give him the seven year plan, if we have another year like this year next year.....recruiting will suffer and to some degree I wonder if it is affecting this year already. Can he develop players, that will be the key.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

We didn't. We actually improved from 96 to 73 in DFEI this year. We just looked bad defensively in several games so the eyeball test fails us here.

That being said, CGC isn't overhauling the defense unlike the 'greatest college offensive transition ever' so I expected us to see much more improvement on that front this year. (I wrote off last year as the O being so incompetent it handicapped the D)

If our defense doesn't start improving drastically soon, then there will be need for concern, since CGCs claim to fame is being a three time Broyles Award nominee as a DC.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly, I don't see that we improved this year. We had more yards on offense but roughly the same point production. We didn't lose to the Citadel but we are the lone win on Syracuse's schedule. The trashing from Clemson was embarrassing. Not focusing on the kicking game was just bad coaching.

Now that said, I look to next year to see where we are at. Collins will have his third recruiting class and his system should be fully in place. As I have stated the schedule is brutal so I don't expect 6 wins next year. If he can get 5 then I think we are improving. Of course the schedule the following year is not much better.

For those that give him the seven year plan, if we have another year like this year next year.....recruiting will suffer and to some degree I wonder if it is affecting this year already. Can he develop players, that will be the key.
It’s amazing how short your memory is of last year, but yet you seem to remember and cling to the 2 good years the last guy had in his last 7.

If you actually paid attention last year and this year and couldn’t see improvement, I question your ability to assess anything football related.

We were competitive in less games than not last year and at most times looked terrible. We were competitive in almost every game this year save Clemson, BC and ND. And one could say we were competitive with ND. Fumble right after we drive to their 22 down 17-7. Missed FG 2 drives later. They would’ve won regardless, but that potential 10 points would’ve changed how the game looked.

BC we got so far behind due to turnovers (true freshman qb) and not having a fg kicker that it was impossible to come back. This was the most frustrating game of the season for me outside of Syracuse.

The final score of the Syracuse and UCF game is not indicative of how we competed either. We had 5 turnovers in each of those games. Yet it was a 7 point game against UCF in the 4th and 3 point game against Syracuse in the 4th.

The only thing that was disappointing (based on my expectations going into this year) was how poorly the defense played. I thought we would be more improved there. Though we did have almost as many injuries/attrition on the DL this year as we did on the OL last year.

That being said we still did see improvement at the DE position on that side and significant improvement in the offense (though still not where we need it).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That being said, CGC isn't overhauling the defense unlike the 'greatest college offensive transition ever' so I expected us to see much more improvement on that front this year. (I wrote off last year as the O being so incompetent it handicapped the D)

If our defense doesn't start improving drastically soon, then there will be need for concern, since CGCs claim to fame is being a three time Broyles Award nominee as a DC.

You're right that the defense isn't being overhauled in the same way the OL is but there were issues with the defense that effectively needed the same solution as what the offense needed. Namely new players and time to develop them. Our issues on D coming in weren't just a matter of a bad coaching staff getting significantly less out of the defense than the talent would indicate. The DBs maybe, but the front 7 had issues that would really only be fixed through bringing in new players and getting time to develop them, for the most part.

If everything had broken our way and we avoided injuries and the like, we might have been able to pull off a decent DL this year with Adams and Chimedza in the middle with the DE play we've seen. But we've had the opposite luck with those two and Owens leaving the middle of our DL a real weakness with no obvious solution. Griffen showed flashes this year so it's possible that he and a healthy Chimedza can lead to big improvement next year in that regard. It's possible but until the DT position is fixed it's going to be hard to see drastic improvement.

At LB we just didn't have the pieces. Curry, despite the flak that he gets, is clearly our best LB the last two years and you can't have that with the DL we have had. It'd be fine for him to be second or third best LB on the field usually. If he were, we'd be okay. Hell, if we had a strong DL and a good group of DBs behind it we could probably get away with it, But as it stands, we can't have him being our best LB much less clearly so. Now I like some of the young pieces we have there in Franks, Meiguez, and Wright from last year's class and Tatum plus Harris coming in next year but there is a question of how long it will take before they can really improve on what we have been getting.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I, unlike many on here, view the 7 year contract not because he is inheriting a rebuild (cause it's not but that's a completely different arguement),

How can anyone familiar with the roster Collins inherited make such a statement? In terms of Johnson recruits, Collins inherited 1 OL (Quinney) with another P5 offer. One! Then there is Defoor who transferred from Ole Miss. So that's two. And no TE. Last time I checked, it takes 5 players on the OL, and the TE is an important blocker. And some depth is helpful. Now some folks on here believe that you can be good on offense without a good OL, but those people show what they (don't) know. We had athletes, not QBs, at QB.

And on defense--we graduated 8 starters from the 2018 defense. Then Adams passed.

That's not a rebuild?

You have shown yourself to be a Collins hater, but please don't ignore the facts while you spew the hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.