Collins report card after 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Actually, they did predict us last. They only committed to one win, (it was in the link you sent), but set the over/under at 2.5 because they thought we'd pull out 2 maybe three wins before the season was over. Experts are more often right than wrong.

There are tons of people like that who were ridiculously wrong.

This is what I've been trying to say. They aren't ridiculously wrong. We won 3 games. Three. We had to come back to beat FSU, beat Duke and Louisville, who are both bad teams, and got blown out by the worst team in the ACC. If winning three games against the cellar of the ACC, and getting blown out by the door mat somehow puts us in 11th place in the ACC, crowing that the experts were ridiculously wrong for picking us last seems silly. We suck at football right now. Fortunately for us a couple other teams sucked worse this year. I find no satisfaction at being the least sticky piece of rubbish in the trash bin.

Now, before this gets interpreted as a shot at CGC, we were destined to be bad for 2-4 years the minute we made the decision to transition away from the 3O, and I am fully prepared to give CGC another 2-3 years to get his system in place. We not only need talent to run his system, we need depth and the years of experience as we grow old as a team. our schedules the next two years aren't doing any favors for us, so we might look a whole lot better next year and only eke out 5 wins. (We could also turn the corner a year early but I am not holding my breath on that).

Right now, the best thing to happen to us is the cancellation of the Miami game, as it gives the staff extra time off to finalize the recruiting season, where we desperately need to finish well.

Right, but finishing 10th is not finishing 15th. Winning 3 games and being within 1 score in the 4th quarter in 4 other games is not finishing last with 0 or 1 win. And think of how many games we played without our star players like Tre Swilling, folks on the defensive line, Gibbs, etc. we got literally nothing from the refs at key points inseveral games. Most of us on this board predicted an 8-10 finish and 3-5 wins. Those who did overpredicted a tad, but were nearly right.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Now, before this gets interpreted as a shot at CGC, we were destined to be bad for 2-4 years the minute we made the decision to transition away from the 3O, and I am fully prepared to give CGC another 2-3 years to get his system in place.

I think there were a number of posts early in Geoff's hiring that predicted bad times for a period. That's one of the reasons so many were advocating hiring a coach from CPJ's tree. If (and I really don't know because he doesn't really talk about it) Geoff's system is more SEC style, with big lines and strong defense ... all you have to do is look at the player stats and see that we don't have the athletes to do that.

Honestly ... 2023 is probably the acid test on Geoff. I predict he will change his staff before then as he gets better players AND some of the legacy costs at the GTAA come off and we can invest more in the program. This is a long-term approach that TStan is orchestrating ... so, time will tell.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Right, but finishing 10th is not finishing 15th. Winning 3 games and being within 1 score in the 4th quarter in 4 other games is not finishing last with 0 or 1 win. And think of how many games we played without our star players like Tre Swilling, folks on the defensive line, Gibbs, etc. we got literally nothing from the refs at key points inseveral games. Most of us on this board predicted an 8-10 finish and 3-5 wins. Those who did overpredicted a tad, but were nearly right.

We finished 11th, not tenth.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Just one thing on this....Ross was smart enough to hire CRF....that had a lot to do with his success.
Ross was established as a good coach long before teaming up with Ralph. Part of that track record CBR brought with him was the experience base and knowledge to hire Ralph and George. As to how Ralph and George compare to P and T, people can decide.

Deleted member 2897

We finished 11th, not tenth.

Well maybe. We'll see if Wake ends up stuck on 3 wins - they have to beat Florida State on Saturday. To your point, they are probably going to be favored to win...but they do need to win that game.

I think there were a number of posts early in Geoff's hiring that predicted bad times for a period. That's one of the reasons so many were advocating hiring a coach from CPJ's tree. If (and I really don't know because he doesn't really talk about it) Geoff's system is more SEC style, with big lines and strong defense ... all you have to do is look at the player stats and see that we don't have the athletes to do that.

Honestly ... 2023 is probably the acid test on Geoff. I predict he will change his staff before then as he gets better players AND some of the legacy costs at the GTAA come off and we can invest more in the program. This is a long-term approach that TStan is orchestrating ... so, time will tell.
I am not sure he has until 2023 without at least one six win season. That being said, recruiting is one thing but It will be interesting to see player development. That will be more important. I looked back, the 2008 Defensive line was one of the best we have had in the modern era. Arguably Derrick Morgan, an almost 5 star was big but
Vance Walker 2 star
Michael Johnson 3star
Darryl Richard 3 star.

They developed while at Tech and all went on to play in the NFL.

Deleted member 2897

Regardless of wins, I think CGC has to show continuous improvement. He did that this year. With better execution down the stretch (and my word, just any help from the Refs LOL), we could easily have won a few more games. But the team was immensely more competitive this year, winning 3 and being within 1 score in the 4th quarter of 4 other games. I won't rehash last year, but remember how in nearly half our games our offense only scored 1 single TD or less.

If we keep improving, the wins will come. I do think he needs to be closer to 6 wins next year. In year 4, we really need to be a solid team. For example, Jeff Sims would be in year 3, Jamhyr Gibbs will be in year 3, and so on. 2022 will be an extremely tough year, as I'm pretty sure our other crossover is Florida State, we'll play Clemson, Georgia, Miami, North Carolina, etc., and also Ole Miss and UCF. But we should be a solid team then.

Regardless of wins, I think CGC has to show continuous improvement. He did that this year. With better execution down the stretch (and my word, just any help from the Refs LOL), we could easily have won a few more games. But the team was immensely more competitive this year, winning 3 and being within 1 score in the 4th quarter of 4 other games. I won't rehash last year, but remember how in nearly half our games our offense only scored 1 single TD or less.

If we keep improving, the wins will come. I do think he needs to be closer to 6 wins next year. In year 4, we really need to be a solid team. For example, Jeff Sims would be in year 3, Jamhyr Gibbs will be in year 3, and so on. 2022 will be an extremely tough year, as I'm pretty sure our other crossover is Florida State, we'll play Clemson, Georgia, Miami, North Carolina, etc., and also Ole Miss and UCF. But we should be a solid team then.
Our Crossover is BC and we also play Notre Dame in South Bend. Next year's schedule is brutal. also UVA in Charlottesville. ugh.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope I’m wrong but I honestly think Bobby Ross is in a different league of coaching than collins
Comparing Collins to Ross in any manner should be a permaban offense across every single Georgia Tech message board.

Anyone who tries to compare the two just expose themselves as the massive donkies they are. Ross came to Tech with a former pedigree as a Coach the Year and 3x conference champion coach. Coach DJ Geoff hasn't sniffed that sort of success.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Comparing Collins to Ross should be a permaban offense across every single Georgia Tech message board.

Anyone who tries to compare the two just expose themselves as the massive donkies they are. Ross came to Tech with a former pedigree as a former Coach the Year and 3x conference champion coach. Coach DJ Geoff hasn't sniffed that sort of success.
not sure it makes someone a donkey, i think they are only saying you have to give a coach time. what makes someone a donkey imo is expecting collins to have a 6-8 win team the first two years with what he inherited. i am sure a bunch of these pundits were calling for Ross's head too, bet they changed their tune quickly. i just wish fans would be supportive and let things play out and if there is no improvement in year four then the hostility is understandable, but it is way too early to cast these judgements.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
not sure it makes someone a donkey, i think they are only saying you have to give a coach time. what makes someone a donkey imo is expecting collins to have a 6-8 win team the first two years with what he inherited. i am sure a bunch of these pundits were calling for Ross's head too, bet they changed their tune quickly. i just wish fans would be supportive and let things play out and if there is no improvement in year four then the hostility is understandable, but it is way too early to cast these judgements.
They lower expectations for him because all they have to hold onto is style over substance. That's all he's got - style. He's coaching at a perfect time in history where that works for a lot of people. Meanwhile, his substance is a mere 2 middling years at a G5 school - not mentioning the historic records of futility he's breathtakingly accrued in a whopping 2 years here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They lower expectations for him because all they have to hold onto is style over substance. That's all he's got - style. He's coaching at a perfect time in history where that works for a lot of people. Meanwhile, his substance is a mere 2 middling years at a G5 school - not mentioning the historic records of futility he's breathtakingly accrued in a whopping 2 years here.
Geoff is certainly “style“. But everyone has their approach, so ok.

I think I recall a set of stats of GT when he got here and it showed Tech dramatically in athletic capability vs peers. Does it take time to add 40 lbs? Probably more than one season.

I do agree that Geoff’s pedigree is light. But honestly ... he’s what we can afford.

Deleted member 2897

His last year at Temple they went 7-1 in the AAC. That’s not exactly middling.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Did we improve on anything other than offense this year? According to rankings:

Total Offense: 127th to 72nd (Good improvement)
Scoring offense: 124th to 94th (Decent improvement)
Total Defense: 89th to 111th (Regressed)
Scoring Defense: 103rd to 110th (Regressed)
Turnover Margin: 93rd to 110th (Regressed)
Penalties: 15th to 116th (Horrible regression)
Field Goals: 130th to 123rd (same percentage made, only made 3 each year)
Wins: 3 to 3 ( although I guess its a better percentage ).

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Did we improve on anything other than offense this year? According to rankings:

Total Offense: 127th to 72nd (Good improvement)
Scoring offense: 124th to 94th (Decent improvement)
Total Defense: 89th to 111th (Regressed)
Scoring Defense: 103rd to 110th (Regressed)
Turnover Margin: 93rd to 110th (Regressed)
Penalties: 15th to 116th (Horrible regression)
Field Goals: 130th to 123rd (same percentage made, only made 3 each year)
Wins: 3 to 3 ( although I guess its a better percentage ).

These are the kinds of facts that make me want to change my C- to a D. :) But, with Covid and the craziness of this year, I am just not sure we should even take it into account. Of course, obviously Auburn did take it into account. :)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Okay, that site I found must be dated.

"2022 will be an extremely tough year, as I'm pretty sure our other crossover is Florida State, we'll play Clemson, Georgia, Miami, North Carolina, etc., and also Ole Miss and UCF. But we should be a solid team then."

You were correct. The poster responding to you is wrong. BC is our crossover for next year, not 2022 as you stated.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
I can see your frustrated and genuinely want to know what your expectation was in year two of this rebuild because I know a portion of our fan base feels the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.