Collins on Packer & Durham

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee's record over the last 5 years is 27-33. Their last 5 recruiting classes ranked 12, 35, 8, 13, and 20.
FSU is 26-33 over the last 5 years. Their last 5 recruiting classes ranked 21, 27, 20, 17, and 10.

Not sure winning is a prerequisite.
Previous winning percentage. Also, both still have name recognition. If Tennessee isn't careful, they're about to be down long enough that they're going to lose the connection to successful program status.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Dodd said that opposing coaches would take a calculus book lay it in the hands of a prospect and say: "Think you can pass this?" Best technique of negative recruiting I can think of for some recruits.
Kids are smarter today. They're better prepared. Plus we've been fighting that long enough that we can counter that argument with a steady list of examples of kids who have been successful. It's not the 50's and 60's anymore.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Previous winning percentage. Also, both still have name recognition. If Tennessee isn't careful, they're about to be down long enough that they're going to lose the connection to successful program status.
Always wonder when there are 100,000 fans in Neyland stadium what the average age is. One day no one will be left alive who remembers the glory days if the trend continues.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
1644511858008.png

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee fans wear orange so they can go from the deer stand to the ball game to the chain gang without changing clothes.
GT could take a lesson from UT. UT operates VolShops all over Knoxville. There's the main one on campus, a satellite branch on Cumberland and another out West. They also have smaller ones in the local hotels. I'm not sure it's valid today, but at time maybe 5 years ago ... UT was the number one seller of college SWAG in the country. (I think Texas is now, but will have to check.) By comparison, try to get a GT hat at Northpoint Mall. The selection sucks (if they have any in stock at all).

slugboy

Staff member
GT could take a lesson from UT. UT operates VolShops all over Knoxville. There's the main one on campus, a satellite branch on Cumberland and another out West. They also have smaller ones in the local hotels. I'm not sure it's valid today, but at time maybe 5 years ago ... UT was the number one seller of college SWAG in the country. (I think Texas is now, but will have to check.) By comparison, try to get a GT hat at Northpoint Mall. The selection sucks (if they have any in stock at all).
Tennessee had the East Tennessee area code changed to spell out VOL. It’s 865.

Long way of saying “I agree with this statement”

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree with you. GT has a poor track record of allowing branded materials to be marketed. I live in Walton County and I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw something that had a GT logo on it. I know a guy who’s company wholesales college merchandise, and he said they got more cooperation from schools like UAB, MTSU and even Tulane to sell merchandise in Georgia than from GT.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure I agree that most have at least some idea of what they want to do with their education. And that's not just about the athletes. My daughter is a senior in HS right now and while a good number of her classmates have at least some idea of what they want to do there's also a decent chunk of the ones she knows and talks about who have no idea at all what they want to study. So I think it's actually a mix of both where some are recruited and then we help pair them with majors and some already have an idea what major they want.

As an aside GT does have a Psychology major offering BS, MS, and PhD programs. Many of the programs we would think of as non-STEM that are offered at GT have 2 math courses (like Survey of Calculus and Finite Mathematics) and a bit of lab work and a wellness class (I guess that's the new version of "drown-proofing").
Not the same as a HS recruit, but here's an example of a player leaving (graduated) because we don't offer the program he wants to pursue:

The reason that former Georgia Tech defensive end Jordan Domineck gave for going into the transfer portal was PT. However, it wasn’t playing time, but physical therapy.

Domineck, who went into the transfer portal Friday after leading the Yellow Jackets in sacks each of the past two seasons, said he is leaving Tech because he wants to become a physical therapist after his football career is over and that the institute doesn’t have the sort of degree program he’s looking for to help him in that pursuit.

“That’s just my main thing right now, is to get into PT school, because football’s going to end one day,” Domineck said.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Always wonder when there are 100,000 fans in Neyland stadium what the average age is. One day no one will be left alive who remembers the glory days if the trend continues.
With Tennessee’s loyal and huge fan base it will always be a lot easier to entice recruits than it will be at Tech where we bring recruits in to stand on the sidelines with a half full stadium.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree with you. GT has a poor track record of allowing branded materials to be marketed. I live in Walton County and I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw something that had a GT logo on it. I know a guy who’s company wholesales college merchandise, and he said they got more cooperation from schools like UAB, MTSU and even Tulane to sell merchandise in Georgia than from GT.
There has to be enough demand to make valuable store space worth carrying an item.