Collins’ salary 56th among FBS coaches USA Today Report

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Collins brought a lot of his Temple staff with him. They agreed to the offers they got. It's not like he went out and rebuilt his entire staff with a defined budget. He managed to get some former jackets to come. If he ever manages to have a big year he will get to renegotiate his contract regardless of how dismal prior seasons have gone. It's the nature of college football.
Once again, this is not about Collins and this staff. It’s about Tech underfunding football and therefore hiring from the bargain bin when we look for coaches. These guys are getting about what they should for their level of experience. They are still learning how to coach at this level. Hopefully they figure it out. They seem to have the recruiting part pretty well in hand.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Well there will certainly be two 4* DT's in this recruiting cycle (when was the last time, if ever, Tech has had that?). There's no argument against CGC's recruiting prowess. I was talking more about perception.

I think we agree on a lot of things, but I think your concern of "perception" throws me off.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Once again, this is not about Collins and this staff. It’s about Tech underfunding football and therefore hiring from the bargain bin when we look for coaches. These guys are getting about what they should for their level of experience. They are still learning how to coach at this level. Hopefully they figure it out. They seem to have the recruiting part pretty well in hand.

This is a Todd the AD issue

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I think we agree on a lot of things, but I think your concern of "perception" throws me off.
We'll leave it on agreeing on allot of things, the rest has been discussed more then enough and we all know where we each stand as far as what we believe to be the case.

Here's to hoping for the best moving forward.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
In a world where things don't get turned around and we let CGC go, what would the sports world call GT after several seasons below .500?
I'm not sure. I guess rebuild could work as a descriptor but I do think whoever would be inheriting that roster would have lots of talent so I'm not sure it would apply. Then again we're a .500 team now so I'm not sure we need to worry about it too much.

If you want to call it a transition, fine, but to me, rebuilding means (in the sports world) fixing a broken team. Tech was certainly not broken.
I've most frequently heard it called a "rebuilding year" when there's been an exodus of talent from the program due to graduation or draft. The top programs don't "rebuild they reload". And I think the 2019 team, with one of the lowest returning production numbers in the country, could qualify as rebuilding even without the complete change in offensive scheme. We lost leading rusher, passer, receiver and an entire starting defensive line. I think it would be one hell of a coaching job for PJ to come back and meet the 7 win mark with all of that transpiring. Take into consideration the whole scheme change and offensive lie woes and yeah....I think rebuild applies perfectly.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Rebuild is a useless buzzword these days. It’s mostly used by programs with new coaches that expect some improvement. It was used when Norvell took over at FSU, when Diaz took over at Miami, and even when Kirby Smart took over at UGA, along with countless other instances. Get ready for the LSU and USC rebuilds next year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's not

about what Collins gets. The issue is our assistant's pay. Per the AJC: "Defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker ($450,000) was 212th among all assistants and tied for 31st among ACC coaches in total pay, while offensive coordinator Dave Patenaude ($400,000) was 257th overall and 41st in the ACC."

How long do you think we will keep Choice? Some school will come and say we will double or triple you pay, come on over. He will and who could blame him. We almost lost Key last Spring to USC East and he is by far our highest paid assistant but comes in at 114th among FBS assistants and 14th among ACC assistant coaches.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a real and long term issue is missing the point. It's not about Collins, it's about the GT Football program's viability going forward.
Great post.
Before i comment on it i want to state that we have been coaching staff bottom spenders for decades. In 14 we bummped up the staffs pay because we thought we had found a magic bullet. When that staff left - none of them were snapped up by p5 programs.
The history and current $$ history for football etc is found in the web site by the KNIGHT COMMISSION = College Financial Athletic Database . It allows u to do custom comparrisons for were the money comes from / where it goes by any schools u want to compare.
The numbers for gtaa remain in bottom 1/2 of the bottom 1/4 of the acc.
That's the good news.

The bad news is we are near the top the most indebted AA. For years we have paid interest inly on this debt (200,000,000$).

We are still rebuilding from the coaching change but imo we are not rebuilding from the under funding that the previous staff and facilities experienced.

We are NOW attempting to be on solid W/L par w middle of pack in ACC.

Now to your great post that shows we are bottom feeders on paying cgc support staff.

Imo, The quicket way to getting $ into is budgeting a big increase spending and going after the best position coaches.
I am not saying clean house. I am saying make this clear to the industry that we are paging for performance.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That's a strong statement.
Look at the last two football coaches we hired and who else was mentioned as candidates. The lists were frankly dreadful. We are not a place where most football coaches want to go. We have a lot of limitations aside from being a very low revenue generating school. Johnson was a terrific hire. No other P5 school would touch him and his brand of football.

Very few wanted any part of transitioning away from Johnson’s style either.

We will know in about two more years if this staff is up to the task of making us competitive on the cheap.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Who was in the running for the job aside from whisenhunt?

In truth no one. Wisenhunt was a courtesy interview for the Alumni that didn't necessarily want geoff. He knew he wasn't going to take the job before they did it. Stansbury was told to get geoff collins and that is what he had to do. Thats prety much the only reason i assume tony elliot didn't even get an interview. Now would we have necessarily been better with elliot, probably not.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

The simple fact is in terms of P5 college football teams, GT is one of the smaller both in terms of size of the school/fanbase and the amount of money spent on the prorgam. That is unlikely to change much. GT just has to figure out how to do the best it possibly can with less. In the 21st Century GT has always been below the median of P5 schools in terms of budget.
And as a result, because of the make-up of our alumni base, the interest in football is not near what it needs to be in order support our champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
In a world where things don't get turned around and we let CGC go, what would the sports world call GT after several seasons below .500?

If you want to call it a transition, fine, but to me, rebuilding means (in the sports world) fixing a broken team. Tech was certainly not broken.
Georgia Tech Football. A program barely alive.

We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better, stronger, faster.

1634562265931.gif

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And as a result, because of the make-up of our alumni base, the interest in football is not near what it needs to be in order support our champagne wishes and caviar dreams.
This comment is thrown around a lot. I'm not sure I buy it. Geeky kids (I was one) can also be athletic, and those that are just geeky can be as rabid, if not more rabid, sports fans as anyone out there. I understand the comment being applied to foreign students, but there are foreign students on every campus. I would say the percentage of the student body interested in our sports teams are probably pretty on par with other schools.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This comment is thrown around a lot. I'm not sure I buy it. Geeky kids (I was one) can also be athletic, and those that are just geeky can be as rabid, if not more rabid, sports fans as anyone out there. I understand the comment being applied to foreign students, but there are foreign students on every campus. I would say the percentage of the student body interested in our sports teams are probably pretty on par with other schools.
I don't know for sure if the percentage is the same but if it is, I'm wrong. It seems to me though that our student population is a tad skewed. When my daughter graduated in 2016 and I was waiting in McCamish for the ceremony to start, I was browsing through the handout with the list of graduates. Needless to say, GT is not my father's GT and it's not nearly the same from the late 70's that I knew. A list of names under the heading of some advanced computer degree was stunning to see not to mention impossible to pronounce.

I know during PJ's time here there was an outreach to those students on the outside which, to me, indicates an acknowledgement that there is a need to fix a problem.