Collins’ salary 56th among FBS coaches USA Today Report

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don't know for sure if the percentage is the same but if it is, I'm wrong. It seems to me though that our student population is a tad skewed. When my daughter graduated in 2016 and I was waiting in McCamish for the ceremony to start, I was browsing through the handout with the list of graduates. Needless to say, GT is not my father's GT and it's not nearly the same from the late 70's that I knew. A list of names under the heading of some advanced computer degree was stunning to see not to mention impossible to pronounce.

I know during PJ's time here there was an outreach to those students on the outside which, to me, indicates an acknowledgement that there is a need to fix a problem.
Have to get kids who didn't grow up with American football interested in it. Explain to them our football is better because we have real injuries.😂

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
According to a College Factual study, GT is one of the most diverse campuses in the country. Out of 3,514 schools studied, GT was #239 in overall diversity. (including #749 in racial/ethnic diversity and #277 in geographic diversity - out of state students account for over 40% of the population and almost another 10% are from out of the country.)
Caucasian's make up just 46% of the undergraduate student body - 22.5% are Asian and 10.8% are International. About 7% each are Hispanic and Black.

Among graduate students (which is relatively unimportant from a sports standpoint as a much lower percentage of graduate students pay attention to college athletics where they attend school) - 51% of graduate students are International, 29.5% White, 9.3% Asian.

The only metric holding GT from even being ranked much higher in diversity if the big male/female split. If that was more typical of other schools GT would likely be ranked among the Top 50 or so most diverse campuses.

If you look at most of the other schools around it in the SE the larger ACC schools tend to have ethnicity splits with whites being 60-70% of the undergraduate population and 2-3% International, Asians tend to be in the 10% range. The SEC schools tend to be 70-80% white and around 1% International. The one school that looks similar to GT in its various diversity makeups (ethnic, geographic, etc) is Duke.

While this is obviously generalizing from demographic info my hypothesis would be the the high Asian and international numbers, as well as really large out of state population likely will inversely correlate to interest in the college football program.

GT's student body simply doesn't look like the student body of almost every other university it competes against based on conference and region.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
In response to reds post. Does it seem like with the move of the students to the North Endzone, there is more student attendance this year. Maybe it was covid, but seems like more students this year.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s gotten stupid in this country that we‘re okay to several million $ per year — that’s every year, plus the untold millions for “buyouts” — for what is a gamble on a few extra wins per year. And then the argument becomes we have even more millions — note it’s never a nominal salary increase but rather exponential — for the same risk gamble. For some it appears the hope of another 2-3 wins per season is worth 10-million+ over a short term contract.

Gents, whether one likes or accepts this statement or not, this is social-political pandemic — yes, I said pandemic — of misappropriation of funds and resources. And I’m severely disappointed in the hypocrisy and blind-eye to that of several posters here whom I’ve tracked over last number of years.

But, sure and fine: let’s fire Collins and pay him his buyout, and pay some other unknown even more. And get your 8 wins a season. Just more dumb **** in this world.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I promise you, any foreign student who has a competitive bone in their body has a decent chance of becoming a football fan. Tech is just a different animal when it comes to free time (or lack there of). I didn't know a thing about football until I got to Tech, and I'm hooked. I played and watched soccer my whole life before that. Pretty much every other Kurdish person I know who came here before the age of 25 was in the same boat as me and now likes American football.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It’s gotten stupid in this country that we‘re okay to several million $ per year — that’s every year, plus the untold millions for “buyouts” — for what is a gamble on a few extra wins per year. And then the argument becomes we have even more millions — note it’s never a nominal salary increase but rather exponential — for the same risk gamble. For some it appears the hope of another 2-3 wins per season is worth 10-million+ over a short term contract.

Gents, whether one likes or accepts this statement or not, this is social-political pandemic — yes, I said pandemic — of misappropriation of funds and resources. And I’m severely disappointed in the hypocrisy and blind-eye to that of several posters here whom I’ve tracked over last number of years.

But, sure and fine: let’s fire Collins and pay him his buyout, and pay some other unknown even more. And get your 8 wins a season. Just more dumb **** in this world.

I tend to agree with you on this. I am done spending millions of dollars to pay people to no longer coach. Especially when spending millions more on the next guy (or gal) has shown to be no more of a science than reading tarot cards or picking a winning lottery ticket. I am content in letting our current coach have 7 years to either turn the ship around or simply have both parties honor their original agreement and then move on. The guys who want new coaches simply ignore how many more schools seem to miss rather than hit even though all these guys come "highly recommended" and the cost is too prohibitive (imo) to spin a roulette wheel while paying a former coach 7 figures. I know that I am in the minority on this but the money has gotten out of hand for my tastes.

Last edited:

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I tend to agree with you on this. I am done spending millions of dollars to pay people to no longer coach. Especially when spending millions more on the next guy (or gal) has shown to be no more of a science than reading tarot cards or picking a winning lottery ticket. I am content in letting our current coach have 7 years to either turn the ship around or simply have both parties honor their original agreement and then move on. The guys who want new coaches simply ignore how many more schools seem to miss rather than hit even all these guys come "highly recommended" and the cost is too prohibitive (imo) to spin a roulette wheel while paying a former coach 7 figures. I know that I am in the minority on this but the money has gotten out of hand for my tastes.
Thanks,@4shotB. I mean, everyone here wants Tech to be successful. But it seems to me the money involved, eg TV contracts, ESPN, et al, not to mention fans’ insatiable appetite for immediate gratification (if not also a national temperament to skewer others) has inordinately blurred rational economics. And I think we only have to look at LSU today for another current example of madness. Apparently (and, regrettably) like with government, institutions feel they can pass debt down to current and next generation.

And for the record I’m immensely proud of the young men on this team — all of them — and the effort of Coach Collins, and of Coach Johnson before him. Kids have their upper-limits, as do the coaches. I don’t think either is absolutely failing here but that both sides are learning and growing at the pace they’re able to at the moment.

But I absolutely believe all at Tech are cut from a different cloth. This is why I’m reliably impassioned about this particular topic of collegiate economics. And, for what it’s able to bem some voice to resist the temptation to fall into this economic trap.

Last edited:

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Are we going to act like there aren’t any unintended consequences by keeping a coach that’s failing? Lost revenue from ticket sales, less donations, and while a few bad seasons is a short time, it’s not that short when you’re a college student. If the team is bad while you’re a student, how likely are you to want to support the program financially as an alumni? Not to mention that you’d piss of a coach and his agency if you decide not to extend his contract or fire him. It’s costly to keep paying buyouts, but it’s costly to keep a failing coach also.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Are we going to act like there aren’t any unintended consequences by keeping a coach that’s failing? Lost revenue from ticket sales, less donations, and while a few bad seasons is a short time, it’s not that short when you’re a college student. If the team is bad while you’re a student, how likely are you to want to support the program financially as an alumni? Not to mention that you’d piss of a coach and his agency if you decide not to extend his contract or fire him. It’s costly to keep paying buyouts, but it’s costly to keep a failing coach also.
I would not have a problem with a pay-for-performance approach. But that’s not what exists today. Today you have guaranteed contracts whether success or fail. And coupled to that an inflation over last 10 years that dwarfs which we‘re hearing is coming to the real world.

So your point is fine about the cost. And if the coach fails, the contract is terminated — period…no buyout. And this doesn’t mean you pay the next person exponentially more for the same expected performance, which is the literal gamble today.

Or, to your point: if you’re an alumni who has been supporting (unlike 90%+ of alumni), how likely are you to keep dumping your money to an endless siphon?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of the issues is that the fans/alums tend to think their school has an unlimited ceiling. With the exception of a handful of programs (AL, Ohio ST, etc) that is simply not true. Almost all programs have a natural ceiling. IMO, the ceiling for GT is probably around 8.5 wins per year over a 5-10 yr period. I don't believe the long term ceiling for GT is 10 wins per year. Nothing in the modern past or present suggests that is remotely achievable. Some schools have naturally higher ceilings than others. And all the money in the system does is further bifurcate the difference between schools.

That doesn't mean you can't have that great year - like 2014, it just means that is the exception, not the norm.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's not lost revenue for the school, it's lost revenue for the Athletic Association, which is a wholely separate organization. In the ultimate scheme of things, people donate millions of dollars to their school's athletic organization for pride. In HS the Booster Club is there to support the teams because there's a strong tie to the kids playing. In college, the tie is to the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. The success or lack of success on the football team has no bearing on the academic side of GT. Many other schools, like Clemson or Alabama, it does. We're already turning away merit scholar-level kids, these other schools aren't. They're trying to attract kids to their schools, so the athletics is a big help. If college athletics were to end today, schools like GT, UVA, Stanford, NW, Vanderbilt, etc. would not see a noticeable change in their admissions. At most every state school, you'd probably see a precipitous drop in out-of-state matriculation.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
According to a College Factual study, GT is one of the most diverse campuses in the country. Out of 3,514 schools studied, GT was #239 in overall diversity. (including #749 in racial/ethnic diversity and #277 in geographic diversity - out of state students account for over 40% of the population and almost another 10% are from out of the country.)
Caucasian's make up just 46% of the undergraduate student body - 22.5% are Asian and 10.8% are International. About 7% each are Hispanic and Black.

Among graduate students (which is relatively unimportant from a sports standpoint as a much lower percentage of graduate students pay attention to college athletics where they attend school) - 51% of graduate students are International, 29.5% White, 9.3% Asian.

The only metric holding GT from even being ranked much higher in diversity if the big male/female split. If that was more typical of other schools GT would likely be ranked among the Top 50 or so most diverse campuses.

If you look at most of the other schools around it in the SE the larger ACC schools tend to have ethnicity splits with whites being 60-70% of the undergraduate population and 2-3% International, Asians tend to be in the 10% range. The SEC schools tend to be 70-80% white and around 1% International. The one school that looks similar to GT in its various diversity makeups (ethnic, geographic, etc) is Duke.

While this is obviously generalizing from demographic info my hypothesis would be the the high Asian and international numbers, as well as really large out of state population likely will inversely correlate to interest in the college football program.

GT's student body simply doesn't look like the student body of almost every other university it competes against based on conference and region.
Gotta start getting Asia interested heavily in American football!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Among graduate students (which is relatively unimportant from a sports standpoint as a much lower percentage of graduate students pay attention to college athletics where they attend school) - 51% of graduate students are International, 29.5% White, 9.3% Asian. Unimportant

I already question the statistics. By Georgia Law, 60% of admitted students have to be Georgia natives. Now, I know you can have over 40% out-of-state and still meet that requirement, but I think more than 60% are coming from instate. The Asian and international student population are so small as to be irrelevant in what we're talking about.

GT student body looks an awful lot like the student body most everywhere else. We're talking about kids that are interested in going to a football game. Your prejudiced hypotheses are uninformed because you have no data to support them. I'm not attacking you here. But, you're insinuating the Asian population is not interested in football and other sports, but I had a ton of Asian friends who were interested in GT sports. Not necessarily the ones from other countries, but that's not the demographic you described. You're making assumptions that are based on your internal bias, not on factual evidence. You don't know what percentage of each demographic at GT does and does not attend GT games. I've always noticed the diverse demographic amongst the student body at games. Again, I'm not attacking you for what you said, just pointing out that it doesn't seem to be well thought out.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Getting back to coaches salaries, probably the most valuable coach on our staff is Choice. Tech absolutely cannot let another school come in and puck him from us. With some of these salaries assistant coaches are making now, you couldn't blame him if someone doubled his pay to move on. Every year one of the money rich SEC schools (LSU) fires their head coach and brings in new staffs. Choice's name is probably out there now as a serious recruiter and a lot of new head coaches look for that.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I already question the statistics. By Georgia Law, 60% of admitted students have to be Georgia natives. Now, I know you can have over 40% out-of-state and still meet that requirement, but I think more than 60% are coming from instate. The Asian and international student population are so small as to be irrelevant in what we're talking about.

GT student body looks an awful lot like the student body most everywhere else. We're talking about kids that are interested in going to a football game. Your prejudiced hypotheses are uninformed because you have no data to support them. I'm not attacking you here. But, you're insinuating the Asian population is not interested in football and other sports, but I had a ton of Asian friends who were interested in GT sports. Not necessarily the ones from other countries, but that's not the demographic you described. You're making assumptions that are based on your internal bias, not on factual evidence. You don't know what percentage of each demographic at GT does and does not attend GT games. I've always noticed the diverse demographic amongst the student body at games. Again, I'm not attacking you for what you said, just pointing out that it doesn't seem to be well thought out.
Per the Georgia Tech Factbook for 2020, 13,900 enrolled students (grad and undergrad) were from Georgia, out of 29,914 from the US. An additional 9,837 students are from other countries, mostly China and India. Now I'm no good at calculus or diff eq anymore, but division I think I can still handle and I fail to see how you get anywhere near 60% in-state from those numbers. Can you link the text of the Georgia law you are referencing?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In a world where things don't get turned around and we let CGC go, what would the sports world call GT after several seasons below .500?

If you want to call it a transition, fine, but to me, rebuilding means (in the sports world) fixing a broken team. Tech was certainly not broken.
Yeah, I think that’s right. What CGC has done an excellent job of is selling the idea of rebuild. He used the phrase literally every time he made a public statement for months before he had even had his first spring game and then for two straight years after that. Sports writers are some of the laziest journalists I know. Very few do their own research. Most engage in group think and follow the pack. Most of them are happy to repeat that Tech couldn’t recruit before, that all players want to play “pro-style” and that we finally have elite linemen on the team.

So, no, from here on out, should Tech hire a new coach, it will never ever again be the biggest rebuild in the history of sports. That’s already been done.

The only slight debate is when is this massive rebuild finally finished. CGC says we now have the right linemen (posting the new improved heights and weights) and that this is the year we finally start to win.

Some take issue with me when I say my hope is that we have another Dabo on our hands but that is the only way I can justify the huge PR spin machine we have on the flats. All that smoke blowing and relentless positivity eventually worked for Dabo. I am counting on it working for Tech.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Some take issue with me when I say my hope is that we have another Dabo on our hands but that is the only way I can justify the huge PR spin machine we have on the flats. All that smoke blowing and relentless positivity eventually worked for Dabo. I am counting on it working for Tech.
other than his 2 nd full year at 6-7 he has won, selling a program and winning makes it easier we need to start winning , But his has had great coordinators which we don't if your are a great salesman you need someone to do the coaching,

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
other than his 2 nd full year at 6-7 he has won, selling a program and winning makes it easier we need to start winning , But his has had great coordinators which we don't if your are a great salesman you need someone to do the coaching,
I don’t disagree. Just hoping.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Per the Georgia Tech Factbook for 2020, 13,900 enrolled students (grad and undergrad) were from Georgia, out of 29,914 from the US. An additional 9,837 students are from other countries, mostly China and India. Now I'm no good at calculus or diff eq anymore, but division I think I can still handle and I fail to see how you get anywhere near 60% in-state from those numbers. Can you link the text of the Georgia law you are referencing?
Break out the OMS program and come back with the numbers. These folks are not on campus.

Below is just the OMSCS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-094813.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-094813.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 23