College Playoff Rankings

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think there will be strong value placed on winning any conference.

I totally agree, that extra game is going to play huge into this at the end, big12 is gonna have to do something or risk getting left out every year because of it imo

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Spokesman for the committee literally said when asked about Mississippi State's highest win being against #15 Auburn he responded that they beat top 25 teams when the games where played and that was taken into consideration. So basically he said preseason polls matter and SEC bias does exist within the committee

Un-****ing-believable. This is insane. He just said a week or so ago that Baylor only had one top 25 win because Oklahoma fell out of the rankings. Now Mississippi State gets credit for top 25 teams based on when they played them and not the current rankings? Do you not get credit for top 25 wins if the team wasn't ranked when you played them? So TCU's win against Minnesota shouldn't count as much anymore? And TCU beat #4 Oklahoma by 4 points and 3 weeks later Baylor beat Oklahoma, now at #16, by 34 points. Does that mean TCU's win is more impressive that Baylor's? This is a mess. None of it makes any sense. What is even going on here?

The committee has no idea what they're doing. They are clearly making this up this as it goes along.

EDIT: Throwing my tinfoil hat on maybe they do know what they're doing. Their BS rules seem to favor the SEC every week. They seem to really want a two SEC team playoff.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mother of god. I cannot stand watching those. From 20 replays of AJ Green one-handing a catch against Colorado in 2010 (online commercial) to listening to the idiot chairman say that beating ranked teams in the early part of the season matters for M State - I am ready to punch my monitor.

Daniel Tosh is right, but it ain't just ESPN that is #$@king-off the SEC.

(The funny thing about the commercial is that UGAg lost that game)

Then don't watch. I enjoyed a few more episodes of the "Sons of Anarchy" tonight. Gotta get my head right for the weekend .....

It'll be what it'll be. Just beat UGAg.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
SEC's definitely not getting favoritism. Ole Miss was below Minnesota this week which is beyond insane. If anything, just getting credit for all the teams that were ranked when they beat them probably still gives the SEC teams less credit than they'd get for all the teams that should be ranked in the Top 25 in a power ranking. The conference getting too much credit is the Big Ten. They're the worst of all the power conferences, and they're getting teams ranked ahead of teams who played much tougher schedules with the same number of losses.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
The whole idea of having a committee is so pathetic and unnecessary. They should have created a committee "poll" and just added it into the bcs equation to add a human variable into something that already worked fine. I rarely had an issue with the bcs top 4. The top 2-3 might need to be swapped around from time to time but the top 4 were usually right at the end of the year before bowl games. We need an 8 team playoff and every team needs to get rid of a garbage game. Every major conference needs a championship game and no conference needs divisions. Play your conference rival or rivals every year and then just randomize the other games that you play in conference. 5 conference champs get into the playoff and the 3 highest ranked teams from the equation get in that weren't conference champs. I'm not sure why this is a difficult thing to implement. The first round is an extra home game for the top 4 seeds. And then semi final games are 2 major bowls and a 3rd major bowl could be the national championship. Boom, problem solved.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Honestly, I was kind of against the committee going into the season, but I feel like they've done a much better job than expected to the point that it's: committee >>>>> AP poll >> coaches poll. There's still some hiccups (mainly the ridiculously overrated Big Ten), but on the whole, they've done a very good job.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
SEC's definitely not getting favoritism. Ole Miss was below Minnesota this week which is beyond insane. If anything, just getting credit for all the teams that were ranked when they beat them probably still gives the SEC teams less credit than they'd get for all the teams that should be ranked in the Top 25 in a power ranking. The conference getting too much credit is the Big Ten. They're the worst of all the power conferences, and they're getting teams ranked ahead of teams who played much tougher schedules with the same number of losses.
I think Ohio State would take Mississippi State any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Much is made of Ohio State's loss to Virginia Tech. But that happened in the first game....after OSU had lost their All-American QB only about 3 weeks prior to the game, so they had a QB starting his first game in that one.

Plus, VT was ranked in the top 15 at the time of the game. Going by the stated metric of using where the team was ranked at the time of the loss, this one shouldn't count much against Ohio State.

Watching them play 2 weeks ago, I'm not convinced there is a team in the country playing better than they are right now. If they get into a playoff, that team will be hard to beat.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
My rank:
1. FSU
2. Alabama
3. the OSU
4. Oregon
Very close Baylor/TCU
Think all those teams would beat Miss St.
Not going by conf or schedule, just eyeball test

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Like I said in another thread, there's no way to predict college football, there's no way to objectively rank it, either.

The guy who said let the conference champions duke it out is correct. I've yet to hear any national media talking head say that, however.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You can't argue conference champions because it's determined on the field. The quicker they move to automatic qualification for conference champions (for the Power 5), the better. Spots for the 3 "wildcards" will be debated (in a 8 team playoff), but not as hotly as leaving out a conference champion who is undefeated...which it seems like the committee wants to do with FSU but they know they'd have a hell of a time explaining it when FSU is ranked #1 in both polls and is undefeated.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am for all conference champions, no exceptions. Play in games to get to 8. Seed the bracket using polls. Sun Belt champ deserves to get a chance to see where they stand. The only way "at large" should be considered is if the field expands past a bracket of 8. We all think we know who the best teams or conferences are, but the reality is, we don't, regardless of what ESPN trumpets on the tube every week. A perfect example of how easily we get swept up into a sea of misguided perception is Ole Miss. They beat a couple supposedly good teams and they sky rocket to the top. Everyone is SURE of their status. Well, they have lost 3 of their last 4, and badly in their last game, to a 2-5 team. How do we really know that MSU Bullpups aren't in this same category? How can we be sure they are #4 ahead of the rest of the list with their resume? This isn't diving or figure skating. There is a bonafide way to determine who is better on a given day. Play the darned games! Can you imagine the NFL going to voting to decide the Super Bowl pairings? It is beyond me how any team can claim a shot at the natty if they can't even win their conference. I guess regular seasons don't count and certain teams are more entitled than others.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I said this early on in the year... Ole Miss was WAY overrated. They have almost zero on offense. Bo Wallace is a terrible QB. There has to be a way to quantify how good a team is coming out of 1 season and heading into the next. If you have a bunch of starters returning from a good team... you may deserve to be ranked high early in the year. But when this committee ranks USCe and Texas AM highly when they both replaced starting QBs, WRs and defensive studs... I dont get the reasoning behind that. So when they prerank undeserving.teams.highly like that... ofcourse another team like Miss St. and Ole Miss are going to have killer resumes. Especially when the committee people are saying that its about where the team is ranked when you beat them. Its clear bias on their part. No ifs, ands, or.buts about.it. I wish they would come up with a decent formula for ranking teams going into the next season or just scrap preseason rankings altogether. When the SEC has the best 1 loss, 2 loss, 3 loss, 4 loss and so forth teams... How can u say thats not bias, and keep a straight face?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The only reason I don’t like only conference champions is because out of conference games are rendered meaningless. Suppose it was that way right now. There is no way I would want any of our starters playing against UGA because the game would have zero effect on anything. I’m actually starting to warm up to the 4 team playoff a bit. It’s making all these games right now so much more interesting because even some 2 loss teams have a chance that in years past would not. The only thing I don’t like is the inconsistency in the committee’s rankings. Something needs to change there.

In the end, I think we’ll wind up with the 4 most deserving teams in the playoffs. The biggest downside I see right now is the fact that the BIG12 doesn’t have a Championship game but they do at least play every team in their conference even if not on a neutral field and for that reason Baylor certainly has every right to be ahead of TCU at this moment. Even if there was a conference Championship game it’s most likely that TCU and Baylor would be in the same division and TCU would have zero chance at getting in the playoffs.

iggymcfly

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Ohio State would take Mississippi State any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Much is made of Ohio State's loss to Virginia Tech. But that happened in the first game....after OSU had lost their All-American QB only about 3 weeks prior to the game, so they had a QB starting his first game in that one.

Plus, VT was ranked in the top 15 at the time of the game. Going by the stated metric of using where the team was ranked at the time of the loss, this one shouldn't count much against Ohio State.

Watching them play 2 weeks ago, I'm not convinced there is a team in the country playing better than they are right now. If they get into a playoff, that team will be hard to beat.

It was actually the second start for Barrett, not the first. He was 12/15 for 226 yards with 2 TDs and 1 INT in his first start against Navy. And Virginia Tech was not "Top 15 at the time", they were actually unranked. They were the 12th team receiving votes so technically 37th overall. The road win over Ohio State briefly moved them into the Top 25 (but not the Top 15) for one week until they lost to East Carolina.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
tOSU is so overrated. They've almost lost to several not so good teams. I don't think they should be anywhere close to the top 4. But since they are going to win the overrated Big Ten then they will be in the playoff. I just hope they lose to Wisconsin in the championship game. If anyone has watched MSU they should recognize how good they are. Even the Alabama game they looked like the better team. They just crapped their pants.