College football is a mess

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I doubt one unelected bureaucrat has to the power to make the change for all of college athletics. This will go through judicial review and require legislation.

The NLRB actually does have that power. And it's not one unelected bureaucrat. It's a panel of 5 (1 seat currently vacant) appointed by the president. If Dartmouth unionizes, it sets legal precedence for all of college athletics.

sweeper

Georgia Tech Fan
And the issue of scholarships as a form of payment does not seem to be the defining issue of an employee for the NLRB. Remember the ruling is for Dartmouth and Ivys do not give athletic scholarships

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
And the issue of scholarships as a form of payment does not seem to be the defining issue of an employee for the NLRB. Remember the ruling is for Dartmouth and Ivys do not give athletic scholarships
Yeah, I just read the entire article for the first time and saw my previous arguments go out the window. Oh well. This will get messy.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The NLRB actually does have that power. And it's not one unelected bureaucrat. It's a panel of 5 (1 seat currently vacant) appointed by the president. If Dartmouth unionizes, it sets legal precedence for all of college athletics.
The decision came from one person according to the article above.

Also, I am sure Dartmouth has legal recourse to appeal this if the student athletes unionize.

Also, isn't Dartmouth (and all Ivy League schools) different than most other schools in that they do not offer athletic scholarships?

Again, I doubt this one decision is the end of the argument. Especially since it seems arbitrary and unsound. You get some perks that other students do not get, sleep in a special dorm, and your schedule is managed for you because you have to attend practices and games, so that makes you an employee? You can extend that other groups off high school and college students who do not play sports.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You are more optimistic about this than me.
There’s way too much money in College FB for it to die, but it’s obviously never going to be the same either. Unionization will bring collective bargaining, labor laws, etc. It brings this nil-wild west b.s. into a new place.

sweeper

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. Clearly the current situation is untenable and the NCAA has proven completely inept at managing this fiasco. When you don’t adequately manage yourself, the government will do it for you. For good or bad…

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
There’s way too much money in College FB for it to die, but it’s obviously never going to be the same either. Unionization will bring collective bargaining, labor laws, etc. It brings this nil-wild west b.s. into a new place.
If I put my optimistic hat on, I could imagine that unionization and contracts could help to level the playing field some. But I still see NIL as a means for some schools to outbid others.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If I put my optimistic hat on, I could imagine that unionization and contracts could help to level the playing field some. But I still see NIL as a means for some schools to outbid others.
I mean that has always been happening under the table

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Union - picket line the high paid strike breaking scabs.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
First of all, yes, you can live in the same two worlds. There are plenty of students who receive scholarships (aka compensation) from the school who have special privileges that are not employees. Many support the billions of dollars of research that flow the school without gaining employee status from the university. There are also kids who receive scholarships to play sports at private high schools. Does that make them employees of the high school?

Second, the only reason these student athletes are being designated as employees is because a single bureaucrat in the NLRB thinks they are being exploited. This one bureaucrat will not have the final say. It will either have to codified by law or make its way through through judicial review.

Regardless, if this does somehow come to pass that they are employees, I will stop supporting college sports. It will not get one more dime from me. I will cancel my scholarship endowment and direct it towards another cause.

Finally, I think the unintended consequences of this will be both horrific and hilarious as most of these kids will now not be able to pay their tax bills and will probably be forced out of school for not paying their tuition. Getting a check every month and paying your bills on time is a lot different than having the school take care of everything for you. You want to be an employee then its time to grow up and act like one.
Football and basketball players are going to be deemed employees. The schools (i.e., NCAA) has botched this all terribly. 5 years ago they could have come out with the Project D-1 plan that Baker announced but it’s too late now.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I do not think you can classify the athletes on our football team to be upper level managers of the university, but your point is taken. Yes, executives and common workers do not receive the same perks.

By the way, the inverse is also true. There are students who receive similar benefits with academic scholarships that have not been designated as employees. I wonder why the NLRB chose not to include them in their ruling.
Those students that are simply on academic scholarship don’t generate millions in revenue for their schools.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Football and basketball players are going to be deemed employees. The schools (i.e., NCAA) has botched this all terribly. 5 years ago they could have come out with the Project D-1 plan that Baker announced but it’s too late now.
The schools, networks, and NCAA tried to be greedy and continue to shut the players out of the revenue they were actually producing, and instead rely on 3rd parties to sort it out. The system is stupid and flawed. Imagine NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL players being shut out of the revenues from TV/media deals, ticket sales, and concession and merch sales and solely relying on 3rd parties to pay them. It wouldn’t make sense, and it was dumb of the people in charge of college athletics to pretend like it was a sustainable system.

They probably could’ve came out and paid all players a flat rate and percentage of revenues a long time ago and it would’ve avoided this total mess we’re in now. At least it would’ve delayed the implosion by many more years.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Those students that are simply on academic scholarship don’t generate millions in revenue for their schools.
The sports programs generate the revenue. The student athletes are a part of it, but they are easily replaced. Similar to how students support billions of dollars of research grants, but those grant revenues would still flow to the schools with different students participating in those research programs.

Also, where in the NLRB decision does it state that the amount of revenue that is generated affects whether someone is an employee? Asking for a friend.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The sports programs generate the revenue. The student athletes are a part of it, but they are easily replaced. Similar to how students support billions of dollars of research grants, but those grant revenues would still flow to the schools with different students participating in those research programs.

Also, where in the NLRB decision does it state that the amount of revenue that is generated affects whether someone is an employee? Asking for a friend.
I couldn’t find a copy of the board’s opinion again but this article references the opinion focusing on revenue generation by the basketball team.