College football is a mess

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Weird that one of their weaker schedules wore them down more. Not disputing that happened, just seems to indicate they may also have been overrated if last year’s schedule took so much out of them.
They played four gimmes, five counting Vandy. The '21 and '22 vintages of mutts would have beaten this years team handily. AU, Mizzou, GT, and Bama showed they didn't have the run stopping ability they had in '21/'22. It's more than the stats too because of their '23 schedule. Make that six gimmes with fsu's 3rd string.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If you think Mizzou should have been unranked then you’re either incredibly biased or didn’t watch them play last year. They were a good team
Mizzou deserved their ranking because they avoided any letdowns and they only lost to two good teams. That said, I can’t imagine how anyone could draw an easier schedule in a P5 conference. The SEC East was so bad last year outside of UGA. Good for Mizzou…. But they may have just filled a vacuum.
Too bad the consolation scrimmage against OSU served to bolster the narrative, but I’m going to maintain perspective here.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am taking the stance and sticking to it that the SEC is over-rated. It starts with all of us beating the same drum. So here is my standard social media reply.

Mizzou only looks good because they played other over-rated SEC teams that also suck.
How did GT do against the overrated SEC teams last year. 0-2 right, how could I forget. Guess we were overrated as well since we couldn't beat the overrated SEC teams.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps. The rest of the ACC was 6-2 against your mighty SEC.

Don’t cherry pick data, you’re better than that.
Yea FSU clearly was as good as any SEC team. Beat FSU and FLA. South Carolina was the GT of the SEC vs the ACC. 0-2 vs Clemson and UNC.

Besides FSU did any ACC teams beat any decent SEC teams. Louisville’s loss to Kentucky really hurt the ACC perception. One of those weak SEC East teams beating the ACC#2 team the week before the ACC Championship game. Between that loss and Travis’ injury the ACC Championship game had zero buzz.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yea FSU clearly was as good as any SEC team. Beat FSU and FLA. South Carolina was the GT of the SEC vs the ACC. 0-2 vs Clemson and UNC.

Besides FSU did any ACC teams beat any decent SEC teams. Louisville’s loss to Kentucky really hurt the ACC perception. One of those weak SEC East teams beating the ACC#2 team the week before the ACC Championship game. Between that loss and Travis’ injury the ACC Championship game had zero buzz.
Louisville was also the best OOC win that the SEC had ALL SEASON. Instead of asking who the ACC beat OOC, why don't you ask you the SEC beat OOC? I know the answer to that question. You won't ask because the SEC didn't beat any significant team OOC all season long.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You're right that "cupcake" is an overstatement...but on the flip side, calling them "a little overrated" is something of an understatement. Look up the teams they beat in ther regular season to end up ranked. Their 8 wins included D-II Austin Peay, plus seven teams who—between them—only managed to accumulate fifteen wins against P5 opposition all season. (Contrast that with GT, who had 5 regular-season wins against D-I competition. Those five teams have seventeen P5 wins between them.)

Tennessee probably got more top-25 credit for their four SEC losses—to a crummy Florida team, ranked (u)GA and Alabama, and (mis-)ranked Missouri—than they did for their eight wins.
And, I think we’ve established that this past year most of the bowl games were meaningless scrimmages. Tech and UCF were among the rare matchups where both teams actually cared.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They played four gimmes, five counting Vandy. The '21 and '22 vintages of mutts would have beaten this years team handily. AU, Mizzou, GT, and Bama showed they didn't have the run stopping ability they had in '21/'22. It's more than the stats too because of their '23 schedule. Make that six gimmes with fsu's 3rd string.
The way I saw it too.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am taking the stance and sticking to it that the SEC is over-rated. It starts with all of us beating the same drum. So here is my standard social media reply.

Mizzou only looks good because they played other over-rated SEC teams that also suck.
I hate to say it, but that’s the ESPN / SEC spin about good ACC teams. That’s why Clemson rarely got credit for their good seasons and why it was easy to exclude FSU this year.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
How did GT do against the overrated SEC teams last year. 0-2 right, how could I forget. Guess we were overrated as well since we couldn't beat the overrated SEC teams.
How is that relevant?

Here’s more irrelevant.. but quite interesting.

The four top SEC teams at season end were Bama, UGA, Mizzou and Ole Miss.

GT played 2 of those four and was 0-2.

9th ranked Mizzou went 0-1 against that group. Full SEC member played fewer games against that group than we did.

Bama before the SECCG was 1-0 against that group. Again, played fewer than we did until facing UGA in the SECCG.

My quick search shows that only three SEC teams fared better than we did against that group:
UGA 2-0 (2-1 after SECCG)
Bama 1-0 (2-0 after SECCG)
LSU 1-2

Yup… every other SEC team went 0-fer against those four and Mizzou got the distinction of only having one opportunity to lose to that group.. Maybe that’s how they earned that 9 ranking?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps. The rest of the ACC was 6-2 against your mighty SEC.

Don’t cherry pick data, you’re better than that.
The SEC played as weak an OOC schedule as possible. Hopefully the 12 team playoff format will impact that as is't no longer just the top 2-3 fighting to get in.

The best wins were UK over Louisville and MSST over Arizona. The ACC 2 best wins were FSU over LSU and FLA.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How is that relevant?

Here’s more irrelevant.. but quite interesting.

The four top SEC teams at season end were Bama, UGA, Mizzou and Ole Miss.

GT played 2 of those four and was 0-2.

9th ranked Mizzou went 0-1 against that group. Full SEC member played fewer games against that group than we did.

Bama before the SECCG was 1-0 against that group. Again, played fewer than we did until facing UGA in the SECCG.

My quick search shows that only three SEC teams fared better than we did against that group:
UGA 2-0 (2-1 after SECCG)
Bama 1-0 (2-0 after SECCG)
LSU 1-2

Yup… every other SEC team went 0-fer against those four and Mizzou got the distinction of only having one opportunity to lose to that group.. Maybe that’s how they earned that 9 ranking?
Immaculate analysis because it shows again that the “SEC is stronger” argument almost always ends up being a circular argument.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Louisville’s loss to Kentucky really hurt the ACC perception. One of those weak SEC East teams beating the ACC#2 team the week before the ACC Championship game. Between that loss and Travis’ injury the ACC Championship game had zero buzz.
This could not be more true. Unfortunately.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The SEC played as weak an OOC schedule as possible. Hopefully the 12 team playoff format will impact that as is't no longer just the top 2-3 fighting to get in.

The best wins were UK over Louisville and MSST over Arizona. The ACC 2 best wins were FSU over LSU and FLA.
Miami’s win over Texas A&M was a good win for several reasons. It was a convincing win. T AM was considered a top SEC team at the time. T AM beat South Carolina and Auburn far more convincingly than Ga and Alabama did. T AM was arguably a harder game for Alabama than the uga game.

In general, it was the Miami loss that probably rattled the confidence of T AM. Same thing happened to T AM that happened to Louisville, a good team has a stunning loss and isn’t quite the same afterwards.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer

The 12 team playoff format will just see 4 big 10 teams and 5 sec teams getting in based on how the rankings shook out this year. We are a couple of years away from the sec and big 10 just retooling as the nfc and afc and their winners playing in the college Super Bowl while the rest of us get relegated in another division 1 split

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
In the ACC it just means more. We beat ourselves up with the tough ACC competition and schedule and the SEC games did not mean as much. The SEC schools are fortunate to have such a weak conference set of opponents to play against. Outside of GT recovering from the worst coach in history. The ACC went 6-2 against that "powerhouse" :ROFLMAO: Conference

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think Ole Miss and uga were good teams. I don't think they were as good as they were touted to be. GT was pretty good by the end of the year. Had we played Ole Miss later, I think the game would have been closer. Maybe not a different outcome, but closer. uga had a very talented team, but that team wasn't anything close to the previous 2 years. That's the overrated aspect. uga wasn't a #1 team.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
The 12 team playoff format will just see 4 big 10 teams and 5 sec teams getting in based on how the rankings shook out this year. We are a couple of years away from the sec and big 10 just retooling as the nfc and afc and their winners playing in the college Super Bowl while the rest of us get relegated in another division 1 split
Should’ve just done away with 1 power 5 conference add the teams to one of the other 4 and kept the 4 team playoff system and you have to win your conference championship to get in the playoffs. This fixes the ND problem because if they’re not in a conference they can’t get in the playoffs. This would’ve been fun.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
uga wasn't a #1 team.
That’s the heart of the CFB mess. Polling is a subjective ranking with no criteria used. It simply the average of what 61 people think. And their opinion is often no better than a waitress at your local bar.

CFB really does need to do away with the polls (which are great for ginning up interest) and the bowls. Both are legacy. And they continue to spark controversy.

Four conferences, play 8 games, no FCS opponents. Just 8 conference opponents. Top 2 advance to a single elimination playoff. The only poll that matters then is the seeding.