College football attendance continues to decline

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
South Carolina was supposed to be on the schedule, but both sides backed out http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/05/...cancel-2021-22-home-and-home-football-series/

Ole Miss is on the schedule currently in 2022 and 2023, although I see this benefitting them more than us. They get a lot more players out of GA than we do out of MS. But I'm all for bigger matchups.

I get the feeling its going to be harder to get P5 games with ND on the schedule once every 3 years. Plus teams don't see enough benefit preparing for us vs. increased exposure in GA.
I'd like to see GT play California and Stanford as well in the future;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we should try some B1G and Big12 home and homes. Purdue, Indiana, Wisconsin, Kansas St, Texas tech.

I think those would be fun

I agree. I'd love to schedule home and away vs B1G. In fact, I think we should buy advertising in the midwest TV markets to that effect. The GT B1G challenge!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see GT play California and Stanford as well in the future;)
I don't. I want to schedule teams we can beat. Is it not enough of a challenge to play Clemson, UGA, Miami, and Virginia Tech every year? I know this would be a unpopular opinion but the old ACC of Clemson and the "Seven Dwarfs" is long gone. (I made this up but it has the kernel of truth because back in the Tobacco Road heyday Clemson was the acknowledged best team in ACC football followed by the Tobacco Road Quartet, Maryland, Virginia, and South Carolina). We are struggling to win 7 or 8 games as it is and some of you want make it worse. IMHO

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't. I want to schedule teams we can beat. Is it not enough of a challenge to play Clemson, UGA, Miami, and Virginia Tech every year? I know this would be a unpopular opinion but the old ACC of Clemson and the "Seven Dwarfs" is long gone. (I made this up but it has the kernel of truth because back in the Tobacco Road heyday Clemson was the acknowledged best team in ACC football followed by the Tobacco Road Quartet, Maryland, Virginia, and South Carolina). We are struggling to win 7 or 8 games as it is and some of you want make it worse. IMHO
California is an Pac 12 also ran that goes 6-6 every once in a while. I think the Yellow Jackets can skin the Golden Bears. It would be nice to play California and Stanford because it would help in recruiting in California.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
But they have planes now.
But they have planes now.

Yes, but how many exceptional recruits want to travel 3,000 miles to play football? Not very many. It is absurd to even discuss this in the context of recruiting in California when UGA, Auburn, Tennessee and Christ alone knows who else are stealing recruits from us in our own backyard.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but how many exceptional recruits want to travel 3,000 miles to play football? Not very many. It is absurd to even discuss this in the context of recruiting in California when UGA, Auburn, Tennessee and Christ alone knows who else are stealing recruits from us in our own backyard.
Well obviously the main reason of the game would not be to attract California recruits (Though Lucas Johnson says hi) but rather to create a Name vs Name OOC game early in the season and to get a National TV time slot for it thus increasing GT's recognition and overall name brand.

Well obviously the main reason of the game would not be to attract California recruits (Though Lucas Johnson says hi) but rather to create a Name vs Name OOC game early in the season and to get a National TV time slot for it thus increasing GT's recognition and overall name brand.
I can't imagine a matchup like that being at noon, unless it's a noon game on the left coast, which would make it a 3PM game in Atlanta.

Animal02

Banned
I put 60 in my rearview mirror a few years ago. Believe me it doesn't get any easier even though I live around 7 miles from BDS. Main complaint, the schedule.Drop all FCS teams, replace with home & away games with tough teams that people actually want to go and see. Sure Tech might not win as many games, but what the hell, it's competition we could get excited about!
The math doesn't work. There is more money in paying a team to play us, insuring a 7 home games every year, than adding a "quality home and home series."

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

I really think this is the main problem. I go to most Tech games and I'm a season ticket holder, but there have been times in recent years that I've declined attendance because I can see the game on tv. I also almost never follow the team on the road; too much trouble and I can watch the games. It used to be that this wasn't so; if you wanted to see Tech play, you had to, you know, actually go to the games.

Well, I'm getting older (believe it) and having access to the games on tv is handier then it used to be. Oth, I can see why this is clobbering attendance all over. Tv receipts won't cover the difference for many programs either.
I do believe takethepoints actually used a point, and I can relate somewhat to it but in an odd way: I subscribe to Amazon Prime and Netflix. Both still cheap with lots of movies as well as some interesting programming from England and Australia. (In English, in other words, don't need CC.) But here's where these lines cross: I don't watch cable but I subscribe to it. I subscribe to it because right now it is the only way to get ESPN. I need ESPN because that is where the ACC games are, so that is where I get GT. (I also subscribe to MLB.com to get the LA Dodgers.) I love pain. Now, I can get to a couple of Tech games most seasons, but that's it. All else I get off ESPN, free give or take if you consider putting up with some of the amateur hour announcers they assign us as not a payment. Add in the drop in student interest, tailgating, etc., and crowds have to drop. (The last time I was at Clemson, a GT game, every parking spot adjacent to the stadium itself, prime parking, was snapped up by tailgaters. They all had two spots, some had three: car, trailer, grill, tent, 52 inch or better TV with portable satellite dish. So they got the burgers, beer, snacks, instant replay ... and the sound of 82,000 people yards away. Better than being inside, I was told. It is all part of this tectonic shift that all sports are struggling with, and I get it: give it to me free or if not free, cheap.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If Lucas Johnson doesn't get much playing time this year, he will be saying "bye" rather than "hi" but I get your overall point. The fact is that Cal vs Tech is not what comes to mind as a "name vs name" out of conference game. Personally, I would much prefer playing Auburn or Tennessee but that is just me.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If Lucas Johnson doesn't get much playing time this year, he will be saying "bye" rather than "hi" but I get your overall point. The fact is that Cal vs Tech is not what comes to mind as a "name vs name" out of conference game. Personally, I would much prefer playing Auburn or Tennessee but that is just me.
I don't think Tennessee will be looking to play GT any time soon. Their toughest out of conference game in 2018 will be against West Virginia who tends to be 7-5 every season and the toughest game they play out of conference in 2019 is BYU while they play Oklahoma in Norman,Oklahoma in 2020.