College Basketball NIL Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Players threatening to leave unless they get paid more.

Somewhat disconnected thoughts:

The current transfer and NIL rules are unsustainable. Something has too change. College basketball is headed toward a monumental crash.

My very out of step belief is that players who demand money should be pros. Wong knows he isn't good enough or he would declare for the draft.

College basketball as a minor league for the NBA was always uncomfortable. If its sole purpose is to groom NBA players it loses a lot for me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Something that concerns me about the NIL rules (or lack thereof) is that players are allowed to take money from almost anyone. What keeps a gambler from paying a player to have an off night? That could happened before the NIL rules, but a player who suddenly has money when he had none before stands out with coaches and teammates.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I can’t see how these aren’t seen as inducements to leave or stay. It’s just so jacked. Hope it gets sorted soon.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you didn't see it, this article by the ND AD is well worth the read

There are several quotes that jump out at me:

• fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.
  • “We’re going to have these two conferences that have so distanced themselves from anyone else financially,” Swarbrick said. “That’s where I see it starting to break down. There are so many schools trying to get out of their current conference, and they can’t get there.” ...... with this possibly leading some leagues to boot longtime members that don’t bring as much to the revenue trough. (note this would be at contract end)
  • Asked if the current Name, Image and Likeness landscape is sustainable, the answer was a blunt no. Recruiting inducements were not the original idea, but that’s what NIL has become in many instances. .... “This morphed so quickly into talent acquisition fees that it’s just stunning,” (IMHO this is stunning that he would say no one saw it coming :mad:)
  • “We’re not getting [reform leadership] from the NCAA. It’s going to have to come from elsewhere. (No sheatt)
He sees radical reform/restructuring coming in the mid 2030's when the SEC and ACC contracts are up (likely with the BigI and others setting that date as well). I think it is coming before then. The current NIL situation and lack of leadership from the NCAA IMHO will lead to the P5 breaking away to their own thing way sooner than that. Will need the focus of University Presidents though that could be the only thing that keeps it from happening.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

• fracture lines within the 130-member FBS could leave two disparate approaches: schools that still operate athletics within a traditional educational structure, and those who tie sports to the university in name only.
  • “We’re going to have these two conferences that have so distanced themselves from anyone else financially,” Swarbrick said. “That’s where I see it starting to break down. There are so many schools trying to get out of their current conference, and they can’t get there.” ...... with this possibly leading some leagues to boot longtime members that don’t bring as much to the revenue trough. (note this would be at contract end)
  • Asked if the current Name, Image and Likeness landscape is sustainable, the answer was a blunt no. Recruiting inducements were not the original idea, but that’s what NIL has become in many instances. .... “This morphed so quickly into talent acquisition fees that it’s just stunning,” (IMHO this is stunning that he would say no one saw it coming :mad:)
  • “We’re not getting [reform leadership] from the NCAA. It’s going to have to come from elsewhere. (No sheatt)
He sees radical reform/restructuring coming in the mid 2030's when the SEC and ACC contracts are up (likely with the BigI and others setting that date as well). I think it is coming before then. The current NIL situation and lack of leadership from the NCAA IMHO will lead to the P5 breaking away to their own thing way sooner than that. Will need the focus of University Presidents though that could be the only thing that keeps it from happening.
This quuoted post ought to be in a football thread, but I believe the ACC has to establish some hard rules that address the pay for play situations. Wong is clearly saying he is not happy with his contract and wants to renotiate or he isn't playing for Miami. How is this different from an NFL WR not showing up for camp until he gets an extension?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This quuoted post ought to be in a football thread, but I believe the ACC has to establish some hard rules that address the pay for play situations. Wong is clearly saying he is not happy with his contract and wants to renotiate or he isn't playing for Miami. How is this different from an NFL WR not showing up for camp until he gets an extension?

It won't happen, for obvious reasons, but I would love for Miami to rescind his scholarship arguing that his claim amounts to pay for play and thus is ineligible.

Not only does it send a message to the athletes but it also puts the ncaa in a position where it has to rule because if Wing tries to fo anywhere else there will be questions about eligibility.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It won't happen, for obvious reasons, but I would love for Miami to rescind his scholarship arguing that his claim amounts to pay for play and thus is ineligible.

Not only does it send a message to the athletes but it also puts the ncaa in a position where it has to rule because if Wing tries to fo anywhere else there will be questions about eligibility.
If Miami declares he is ineligible, the NCAA has to reinstate him. Otherwise, he probably cannot hit the portal.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

This is an interesting proposition. It would kill their ability to recruit guys with $$ though so who knows.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Did he sign a contract?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Swarbrick has been making a similar take for 4-5 yrs now, even before NIL and portal rules. His opinion is that there are some schools that want to have an academic student-athlete model and some that just want a semi-pro football model and that those 2 designs are not really compatible (though he has said both are legitimate). So he has been saying for awhile that the ultimate break will be one based on academics. I think there is alot of possibility to what he says. I can also say without hesitation that if it comes to that decision that GT is very likely to choose to be with those schools that want to have a student-athlete model.

I don't think it will be as simple as the P5 breaking away. It likely to be a portion of the P5 breaking away to follow a semi-pro model, a P5 group of academic schools - likely joined by some G5 schools that want to move up and play in that SA model and then a lower group of schools likely to use an SA model but at a lower budget level.