Cold as Pitt

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Go down 6-13. Sucks but at least we won one and only lost one. Probably would have lost two if we played yesterday.

We have NC State, @ Clemson, Miami, @UVa and BC. @500 ACC, we are definately in trouble if we don't get Hughes back. I think the best I can see is going 7-8 in remaining 15 ACC games without another stud starter. More likely 6-9. But even if we squeak in, it doesn't matter without starting pitching depth. For the 50th time, I don't know what we did to piss off the baseball gods and have King, Hughes and English not pitching.

Regardless, I'll remain a fan. One of these years ........

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Ryan is not the answer as a starter. He was totally out of focus again today. Delaney had a bad outing. It is so discouraging. I thought with our returning pitchers plus English and Hughes, that we would have the best staff we have had in many years. I have read that Hughes has had more surgery on his elbow and can't pitch for 6 months.
There is no answer on this team for the lost pitchers. There was an old saying about the Boston Braves, "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain". For us it is "Gold and no mo and pray for snow". Really sad.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ryan is not the answer as a starter. He was totally out of focus again today. Delaney had a bad outing. It is so discouraging. I thought with our returning pitchers plus English and Hughes, that we would have the best staff we have had in many years. I have read that Hughes has had more surgery on his elbow and can't pitch for 6 months.
There is no answer on this team for the lost pitchers. There was an old saying about the Boston Braves, "Spahn and Sain and pray for rain". For us it is "Gold and no mo and pray for snow". Really sad.

It is disappointing, we need a few guys to really step up and become consistent. I've heard Gibson was one of the best pitchers, if not the best, in the fall so he definitely has the potential, he just has to gain command of his pitches consistently. Pitts and Parr will likely get a chance pretty soon on the weekends. Dulaney had a bad outing today, but otherwise has been very good. Not sure if he's more comfortable as a long reliever than a starter. If we can just get to the 6th/7th inning with a lead, then with a combination of Carpenter/Ryan/Gorst, I feel pretty good about our chances.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is what it is.
It is disappointing, we need a few guys to really step up and become consistent. I've heard Gibson was one of the best pitchers, if not the best, in the fall so he definitely has the potential, he just has to gain command of his pitches consistently. Pitts and Parr will likely get a chance pretty soon on the weekends. Dulaney had a bad outing today, but otherwise has been very good. Not sure if he's more comfortable as a long reliever than a starter. If we can just get to the 6th/7th inning with a lead, then with a combination of Carpenter/Ryan/Gorst, I feel pretty good about our chances.

Desperate yes. Here's the list of pitchers this year in two groups. First are one likley to come in based on innings pitched. It is sorted by ERA. Second is list with fewer innings.

From first list, here's who I'd start:
Gold, Gibson, Parr, Dulaney, Pitts

Relievers:
Gorst, Carpenter, Ryan, Lee, Gavereau

Player : era ; ip
Matthew Gorst : 0.46 ; 19.2
Brandon Gold : 2.28 ; 51.1
Jonathan Hughes {out for year} 2.45 ; 25.2
Micah Carpenter : 3.68 ; 14.2
Keyton Gibson : 3.92 ; 20.2
Ben Parr : 4.32 ; 25.0
Burton Dulaney : 4.50 ; 26.0
Cole Pitts : 5.59 ; 29.0
Zac Ryan : 5.68 ; 19.0
Jake Lee : 6.46 ; 15.1
Bobby Gauvreau : 6.94 ; 11.2

Few Innings
Robert Winborne : 6.00 ; 6.0
Jonathan King {out for year} 0.00 ; 5.0
Bailey Combs : 0.00 ; 3.1
Tanner Shelton : 8.10 ; 3.1
Jared Datoc : 0.00 ; 2.2
Patrick Wiseman : 15.43 ; 2.1
Joe Wiseman : 13.50 ; 1.1

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Afraid this team is too much like last year's. Giving up tons of runs, and honestly if it's not Gold pitching, we don't have much of a chance in ACC games the rest of the year.

I am finally starting to think there is something systematically wrong in the coaching at GT. Maybe I am being harsh, but even as we seem to get the "arms", our pitching collapses each and every year. My hopes and expectations for this squad have gone way, way, way down. It would not surprise me to lose the next 4 ACC series, and go 3-9 in the process (Miami can sweep us easily the way we pitch).

Frankly, I don't se much to hope for this year. Sorry to be so negative, but this team is just not very good. And that frustrates me, because honestly, I believe the talent IS there. The performance on the field (and especially on the mound) is not.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel your pain. I hoped to be a regional host and contending for the ACC this year. Ain't going to happen.

We are 18th (out of 300) in RPI. Not bad and something the basketball and most football guys would give their left nut for. Our hitting and defense is elite. Our pitching always seems to get hurt. Our best starter is a converted 3rd baseman and none of the other weekend starters were expected to be starting weekends. If you want to make the argument that we do something to hurt our pitchers in the way we develop them; you'll have to do that without any facts that I know of. We certainly don't overuse them in games.

But I have lost any hopes of Omaha this year. Maybe next year (opening for historically based derision from others:cry:).

Again, what did we do to piss off the baseball gods so much?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I feel your pain. I hoped to be a regional host and contending for the ACC this year. Ain't going to happen.

We are 18th (out of 300) in RPI. Not bad and something the basketball and most football guys would give their left nut for. Our hitting and defense is elite. Our pitching always seems to get hurt. Our best starter is a converted 3rd baseman and none of the other weekend starters were expected to be starting weekends. If you want to make the argument that we do something to hurt our pitchers in the way we develop them; you'll have to do that without any facts that I know of. We certainly don't overuse them in games.

But I have lost any hopes of Omaha this year. Maybe next year (opening for historically based derision from others:cry:).

Again, what did we do to piss off the baseball gods so much?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I have long held the opinion that kids throw too many curves before College and start too early. I still believe this to be the underlying cause of arm trouble in pitchers under 18.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree, here's a two year old Bleacher Report on the subject. It more identifies force / velocity as the cause (maybe it's both or I didn't read enough of the details) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...g-dilemma-too-hard-too-fast-too-much-too-soon

But ...... why can't we at GT keep pitchers healthy? I don't know much about other programs. This database (sortable on a temporary basis) shows for GT (Georgia IT (y)) we have had 5 MLB pitchers with Tommy John ( and three other positions). Looking at other elite programs, this seems about normal (UVa, Vandy, Clemson, FSU). But some non-elite programs (like VT or UGAg:p) have only one. Maybe it is we recruit "better" players who have thrown too much? So the corollary to my observation that "it isn't who commits but who shows up after the draft" is "It isn't how well a kid pitches in high school, it's how likely it is for him to be able to pitch in college."

65Jacket

GT Athlete
On the other hand, I do not believe we would have English and Hughes on our team if they had been totally healthy coming out of high school.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On the other hand, I do not believe we would have English and Hughes on our team if they had been totally healthy coming out of high school.

Very true. Now we will have them here for at least 3 years--if they return to full health, our pitching may be very very good the next few seasons.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Afraid this team is too much like last year's. Giving up tons of runs, and honestly if it's not Gold pitching, we don't have much of a chance in ACC games the rest of the year.

I am finally starting to think there is something systematically wrong in the coaching at GT. Maybe I am being harsh, but even as we seem to get the "arms", our pitching collapses each and every year. My hopes and expectations for this squad have gone way, way, way down. It would not surprise me to lose the next 4 ACC series, and go 3-9 in the process (Miami can sweep us easily the way we pitch).

Frankly, I don't se much to hope for this year. Sorry to be so negative, but this team is just not very good. And that frustrates me, because honestly, I believe the talent IS there. The performance on the field (and especially on the mound) is not.

I don't think you're a negative Nancy. Stating an opinion is always welcome here and you bring up some good points. Like @GTNavyNuke said about the baseball gods, we do seem to have more than our fair sure of hurt pitchers. Not sure that you can solely blame our coaches but something is happening. These kids today throw harder and faster than ever before, which when your arm is still developing you run the risk for injuries. #JMHO