Cold as Pitt

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This weekend's series will be cold. High of 48, 36, 44 for the days of the games and snow showers. No wonder northern teams don't recruit as well in baseball. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pittsburgh-pa/15219/daily-weather-forecast/1310

Pitching is the question in our ground hog day life of GT baseball. Guess Gold, Ryan and Parr to start with Ryan and Parr with short leashes. Playing 6 games in 8 days is brutal with UGAg the last game. We have to get ACC wins so use everything we have. Parr was the pitcher that WREK speculated on as the Sunday pitcher. I could see it being Dulaney or Gibson too.

Pitt is pretty good..... ~27th RPI versus our ~17th. http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html And Pitt has played a tougher schedule than we have overall.

With the weather which should favor Pitt @ home and our pitching, the best I expect is to win the series.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Tomorrow's game time moved to 3 pm due to snow and ice!

If all three games get played, it will be interesting to see who pitches Sunday. It's hard for me to see them putting Parr out there on 4 days rest after likely throwing the most pitches he's thrown all year yesterday. I'd think Pitts may be more likely than Parr. I still think we will see Gold-Ryan-Gibson for this weekend though. Ryan just needs to get consistency and Gibson just needs to find his command.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tomorrow's game time moved to 3 pm due to snow and ice!

If all three games get played, it will be interesting to see who pitches Sunday. It's hard for me to see them putting Parr out there on 4 days rest after likely throwing the most pitches he's thrown all year yesterday. I'd think Pitts may be more likely than Parr. I still think we will see Gold-Ryan-Gibson for this weekend though. Ryan just needs to get consistency and Gibson just needs to find his command.

You're right about the rest for Parr. But I'd expect Parr to only get the game going and then last 2 or 3 innings. I think Parr after 4 days rest would be better than Pitts after 5 days rest.

I've got no problem with Gibson, but in one of the pre-game shows I think Howell said that the starting pitcher was determined to a large extent by who was used to the routine of starting. But looking at Gibson's stats and thinking about it, I think Gibson would be good other than I don't remember him starting in any of his four appearances.

No help here on the third starter http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/040716aaa.html : Gold, then Ryan or TBA, then Ryan or TBA. This is the second week in a row TBA has started but I couldn't find his stats. (weak but I've been reading the basketball forum, thank God for Beesball)

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You're right about the rest for Parr. But I'd expect Parr to only get the game going and then last 2 or 3 innings. I think Parr after 4 days rest would be better than Pitts after 5 days rest.

I've got no problem with Gibson, but in one of the pre-game shows I think Howell said that the starting pitcher was determined to a large extent by who was used to the routine of starting. But looking at Gibson's stats and thinking about it, I think Gibson would be good other than I don't remember him starting in any of his four appearances.

No help here on the third starter http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/040716aaa.html : Gold, then Ryan or TBA, then Ryan or TBA. This is the second week in a row TBA has started but I couldn't find his stats. (weak but I've been reading the basketball forum, thank God for Beesball)

Gibson has started the last two weekends. I think he has started 4 weekend games thus far including the emergency start when King was scratched just before first pitch. I think they really like Dulaney for long relief. Hopefully Ryan can have one of his good days this weekend.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Matt Gonzalez returns to the lineup. #Jackets 3-0 with this lineup in 2016
CfibDhyWwAA56VJ.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone's paying attention to the Pitt game right now.. but Tech leads 4-0 in the top of second.

Yeah, I'm watching on ESPN3 waiting for the press conference

Big Hits and Errors in top of 2, still only 1 out

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice win @ 6-3. Gold was Gold. 7 innings with 2 ER. Pitched 107 pitches so couldn't go much more. Carpenter came in and struggled .... gave up 1 run with 2 outs and 2 left on. Bad news is Gorst had to come in and threw 18 pitches (12 strikes).

But we won't get swept...... hope to take the series now.

Back to 1 game above 500 in the ACC.

Defense was good with no errors and a nifty double play in the ninth (only watched 3 innings).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I watched the whole game, I know I missed the press conference, but baseball is a priority for me.

Focusing on the positive is good. (y) I had nice date night dinner with my wife and it was nice to have the win under our belts.

Sunday we should only be able to get one game in with the travel time? That is great given how depleted we are in pitching. We'll miss TBD starting. (y)

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Focusing on the positive is good. (y) I had nice date night dinner with my wife and it was nice to have the win under our belts.

Sunday we should only be able to get one game in with the travel time? That is great given how depleted we are in pitching. We'll miss TBD starting. (y)

Main thing is to win this short game series. Splitting this series will be another Duke series we should've won.