COFH Set for 12pm on ABC

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I know this is dictated by the offensive personnel, but we saw a lot of our 4-3 last year in Athens. I believe our depth chart says Mitchell, Alexander, and Lewis, but I don't think I've seen Lewis play recently and he may be injured. There's also been some talk about getting BJS on the field with Mitchell, with Mitchell sliding over to Vic's spot. We've seen Henderson briefly this year in dime package and CPJ has mentioned his speed and athleticism. We've seen very little 4-3 this year, so I'm wondering which cats we will roll out there against the dogs and their run heavy offense. Thoughts?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We man handled VT at times and mixed the blocking up enough to keep the much heralded VT defense off balance all day. The problem is, we’re still not consistent enough. We made enough mistakes to turn what should have been a blowout into a squeaker.

I think if we clean up a few things and if TM continues to make progress, we might be finally running on all cylinders by the mutt game. I’m still waiting on him to make the quick pitch. I saw another example of where we lost yards when we could’ve had a huge gain with the quick pitch.

But as for the defense, are they better than VT?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Good question to ask about a D that just gave up 40 points. I didn't see the Auburn game but Gus does a lot of things similar to what we do. They looked really good at ND and at home against Miss St. LB Roquan Smith is their best player IMO and will busy against us. VTs strength seemed to be their DTs. I expect to see more of the same tactics. Load the box and dare us to throw.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So, according to DFEI, uga's D is ranked 2nd, and VTs D is ranked 13th. Of note, Clemson is 6th, Miami is 5th, and we are ranked 30th.

According to S&P+, uga's D is ranked 8th and VT's D is ranked 7th. Of note, Clemson is 5th, Miami is 16th, and we are 40th.

Offensively, uga is either 6th (FEI) or 25th (S&P). For FEI comparisons, here are our opponents rankings: Miami 17, Clemson 26, Wake Forest 29, VT 56, Pitt 60, UVA 93, UT 108, and UNC 106. (Duke is 103, we are 27)

For S&P+ comparisons, here are our opponents rankings: Miami 18, Wake Forest 26, Clemson 39, Pitt 72, UVA 88, VT 90, UNC 99, & UT 120. (Duke is 113 and we are 45)

I think the real difference in our game will come down to ST: uga is 67th and we are 124th. By the stats, it should be a close game, with a favorable lean to uga, which is borne out in the ~75% win probability assigned to uga.

I think our D will shine, and either Jake Fromm will be a hero, or a goat, because we're going to sell out to stop the run and force him to beat us. I think we're due to win one at home, and we're going to make it two in a row against the dwags.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Well, we didn't whip VT's d-line. We whipped their secondary. Settle and Walker had almost as good of a day slanting and beating our blocks as the Clemson DTs did. The question will be if UGAgs interior d-line will be quick enough to jump the snap and blow up plays in the backfield like Clemson, leaving us with 2nd/3rd and long all game. Also, Auburn's defense did to UGAg what no one else had all season- they tackled those two RBs of theirs on first contact instead of letting them shed tackles for extra yards all game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We man handled VT at times and mixed the blocking up enough to keep the much heralded VT defense off balance all day. The problem is, we’re still not consistent enough. We made enough mistakes to turn what should have been a blowout into a squeaker.

I think if we clean up a few things and if TM continues to make progress, we might be finally running on all cylinders by the mutt game. I’m still waiting on him to make the quick pitch. I saw another example of where we lost yards when we could’ve had a huge gain with the quick pitch.

But as for the defense, are they better than VT?

My eye test tells me that UGA has a better defense due to superior talent. But that's just me. The experts may beg to differ. One thing is for sure, the Auburn defense at least the two times I saw them is better than either one of them.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Auburn’s offensive line dominated the game. The announcers played it up big time.

Yep. They whipped UGA and Gus does more cute, clever stuff with the spread option than just about anybody. Sometimes a little too clever for his own good but Auburn finally has a quarterback that makes good reads and quick decisions needed to make Gus' offense shine. Combined with a very good line and a hard running back who is probably a little overworked they have a terrific offense. They will give the Tide all they want in the Iron Bowl.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, we didn't whip VT's d-line. We whipped their secondary. Settle and Walker had almost as good of a day slanting and beating our blocks as the Clemson DTs did. The question will be if UGAgs interior d-line will be quick enough to jump the snap and blow up plays in the backfield like Clemson, leaving us with 2nd/3rd and long all game. Also, Auburn's defense did to UGAg what no one else had all season- they tackled those two RBs of theirs on first contact instead of letting them shed tackles for extra yards all game.

I think we did better against their DL than you're giving credit for. We had 2 sacks and 6 TFL. Not a bad day on D.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So, according to DFEI, uga's D is ranked 2nd, and VTs D is ranked 13th. Of note, Clemson is 6th, Miami is 5th, and we are ranked 30th.

According to S&P+, uga's D is ranked 8th and VT's D is ranked 7th. Of note, Clemson is 5th, Miami is 16th, and we are 40th.

Offensively, uga is either 6th (FEI) or 25th (S&P). For FEI comparisons, here are our opponents rankings: Miami 17, Clemson 26, Wake Forest 29, VT 56, Pitt 60, UVA 93, UT 108, and UNC 106. (Duke is 103, we are 27)

For S&P+ comparisons, here are our opponents rankings: Miami 18, Wake Forest 26, Clemson 39, Pitt 72, UVA 88, VT 90, UNC 99, & UT 120. (Duke is 113 and we are 45)

I think the real difference in our game will come down to ST: uga is 67th and we are 124th. By the stats, it should be a close game, with a favorable lean to uga, which is borne out in the ~75% win probability assigned to uga.

I think our D will shine, and either Jake Fromm will be a hero, or a goat, because we're going to sell out to stop the run and force him to beat us. I think we're due to win one at home, and we're going to make it two in a row against the dwags.

Aside from AU (who crushed them) what offense has ugag gone up against thats worth a crap?