Cochran playing for GT in 2021 season

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I really don't get what we are doing to develop our o-line. It appeared to me we pretty much played the same 5 guys all season long and we did not see any significant improvement in performance. I did see Charlie Clark in there a bit in the last couple of games and of course, Cooper and Lay played a bit after Minihan went down. I don't think the guards were ever substituted for. That tells me that our back ups just were not even reliable enough to spot in during live action. If we are a developmental program, it would appear that we would have been trying some of the backup's out especially in those games we were getting blown out like Clemson and Boston College. Coach Key gets a lot of positive press but to me I just have not seen performance or development results in the last 2 years with our offensive line. I am hopeful that 2021 we will finally realize some sort of gain in performance from our offensive line. Hope springs eternal. I hope we try to run the ball and utilize our tremendous running talent we have on the roster next year. That assuming the mask crowd allows us to play football by then.

Go Jackets!

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't get what we are doing to develop our o-line. It appeared to me we pretty much played the same 5 guys all season long and we did not see any significant improvement in performance. I did see Charlie Clark in there a bit in the last couple of games and of course, Cooper and Lay played a bit after Minihan went down. I don't think the guards were ever substituted for. That tells me that our back ups just were not even reliable enough to spot in during live action. If we are a developmental program, it would appear that we would have been trying some of the backup's out especially in those games we were getting blown out like Clemson and Boston College. Coach Key gets a lot of positive press but to me I just have not seen performance or development results in the last 2 years with our offensive line. I am hopeful that 2021 we will finally realize some sort of gain in performance from our offensive line. Hope springs eternal. I hope we try to run the ball and utilize our tremendous running talent we have on the roster next year. That assuming the mask crowd allows us to play football by then.

Go Jackets!
The oline did improve this year. Most of the improvement was in the running game where the rbs actually had holes to run through this year. In 2019 our run game consisted of Mason breaking tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage making something out of nothing. We improved slightly in the pass game but are nowhere near where we need to be. Sims at times gad a clean pocket but that was rare. He had slightly more time than Graham did last year but usually not enough time to properly go through progressions in the pocket. Just go back and watch any game from 2019 and you will see how bad we were. Again, we are still bad, just not as bad as last year. We definitely need a talent upgrade there and I think that will come with the younger, more talented guys when they are ready.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Swoboda from UVA was one of the best on that list. Keion White did very well matching up against Swoboda in 2019.

If you watch the UVA highlights, it was a young Swoboda vs a first year at DE White. White turned him into turnstile and physically abused Swoboda. BTW, Swoboda is 6'10!

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Freshmen OL should ALL redshirt. The only time you use them is if the guy is simply too good to keep out of the lineup or you run out of upperclassmen. That’s how you develop an OL.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Freshmen OL should ALL redshirt. The only time you use them is if the guy is simply too good to keep out of the lineup or you run out of upperclassmen. That’s how you develop an OL.
Williams was definitely deserving of playing last year. He will benefit next year with game experience. Kid should be a future 1st or 2nd day draft pick. Great size, moves well, and seems to have a decent understanding of the game. Just needs to lock down the scheme for GT which I'm sure he will with a full year in the program.